PDA

View Full Version : Converting nppl to ppl

Jezzmeister
4th Apr 2005, 20:18
Hi there
Im ten hours short of my nppl(25 at moment). i understand that 35 is min requirement with 10 solo i think.

Im doing this flying at my uas and am leaving in summer

Limitations of nppl to ppl are as far as im aware is that international travel is not allowed in a nppl.

Can some kind soul tell me the difference and also how easy/difficult is it to aquire a ppl when holding a nppl.
Im hoping to get the nppl then theoreticlally 10 hours later "update" to a ppl as im desperate to fly as soon as poss.

thanks

threepointonefour
4th Apr 2005, 21:26
I'll stand (sit) corrected here, but from what I know the main differences are;

1. UK FIR only - no foreign travel
2. No other ratings until JAA PPL. ie You'll be a Day VFR pilot. No IR / Night etc.

For those wishing to fly purely for the fun of it, I reckon the NPPL is the quickest way into flying, and with only 32 (I think, not 35) hours reqd it is much cheaper than a UK based JAA PPL.

BEagle
4th Apr 2005, 21:51
It's 32 hours plus 2 x tests of about 1 1/2 hours each.

From LASORS:

Upgrade to JAR-FCL PPL(A):

The holder of a NPPL with SSEA Class Rating wishing
to obtain a JAR-FCL PPL(A) shall :-

a) Complete at least 45 hours flight time, of which at
least 35 hours must have been as a pilot of SEP
aeroplanes. A maximum of 5 hours may be
completed in an approved FNPT or flight simulator.
This flight time must include :-

1) 20 hours dual instruction of SEP aeroplanes with
a JAR qualified instructor;
2) 10 hours supervised solo flight time on SEP
aeroplanes which must include 5 hours solo
cross country flight time including one cross
country flight of at least 270 km (150 nm),
during which full stop landings at two different
aerodromes different from the aerodrome of
departure shall be made as per JAR-FCL

b) Pass the JAR-FCL PPL(A) Theoretical Knowledge
Examinations (unless previously passed for the
NPPL (SSEA).

c) Hold a valid JAR-FCL Class 1 or 2 medical
certificate.

d) Pass the JAR-FCL PPL(A) Skill Test as detailed in
LASORS Section C1.4.

Note that this doesn't mean that you have to fly an additional 45 hours, it just means that the hours you fly post-NPPL when added to your NPPL time must total not less than 45 hours including the individual requirements as above. Any 'solo' flying must be with no-one else in the a/c irrespective of your NPPL privileges - you may not fly your 150nm cross-country with a friend, for example.

GusHoneybun
4th Apr 2005, 22:03
The syllabus for the NPPL and the JAR PPL are for all intents and purposes identical. There are two points in your training that will decided which of the two paths you are going to take.

1) First solo. If your first solo is on a HGV medical (i.e. NPPL medical) then you are then limited to completing the training as an NPPL. However, if you hold a class two medical then the point at which your decision is made is....

2) First solo Nav. There is a navigation skills test that you need to pass before you can go on solo nav's as a NPPL. If you sit this test before you first solo nav, then you can only complete your training under the NPPL system.

If you have held a class 2 medical since you first went solo, and you haven't sat a Nav skills test, then as far as I can see you can complete your training under the JAR PPL system, with all of your training counting towards the 45 hours required.

If not, then you will need to complete the NPPL and then convert. The details of which my esteemed colleauge BEagle has generously provided.

NPPL + JAR + CAA + PFA = Minefield.

BEagle
4th Apr 2005, 22:27
3 bunnyhops, waggle your ears and a quick grope of Fern for you, Gus!

No, the NST is taken before the NPPL Q X-C, not before 'any' NPPL solo navigation.

The medical declaration for a NPPL has nothing to do with HGVs - it is merely conducted in a similar manner, i.e. with your GP rather than with an AME.

The NPPL NST is regarded as a Progress Test towards a JAR-FCL PPL; it does not prevent you from completing your training under the JAR-FCL system if you wish.

GusHoneybun
4th Apr 2005, 23:14
Ahhh, the luscious Fern Britton :D what she use to do to me........

Thanks for that BEag's. I didn't realise that after a successful NST part of the NPPL, a student could still carry on and finish as a JAR PPL.

BEagle
5th Apr 2005, 07:04
Yes, she was rather nice back then. And didn't Angela Rippon also work with you, Augustus J Honeybun?

How's retirement down at Flambards, Helston for a former star of ITV's Channel 9 and 11?

Back to the thread, one reason for doing a NPPL first is that having obtained a NPPL with SSEA Class Rating, you can then take passengers flying (and cost share quite legally) whilst earning a bit of dosh to complete training towards a JAR-FCL PPL(A) later. Which will cost around £1500 by the time more dual/solo flying has been completed under training, the Examiner's fee for the PPL Skill Test and the PPL Licence fee have been paid.