PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviated Callsign?

WindSheer
4th Apr 2005, 18:29
Hi guys,

At what point are you allowed to use an abbreviated call sign within the UK.

e.g When does G-ABCD become BCD.

Is it down to the pilot or ATC.

Thanks.

celtflyer
4th Apr 2005, 18:55
Well as far as I know you can only abreviate if the ATC has shortened your call sign and only then, however I dont think its nescessarily a must to follow suit as its still at your discretion then and if you feel more comfortable with the full reg due the fact there may be similiar on frequency then call it in full.
Some people will take this indication as a sign for themselves to reduce it even further so you can see what problems it can raise. As with anything if you bashin a circuit alone on freq well then why not,If your on a long x-country speakin to numerous freq and on handover you still callin the previously abbreviated reg it may cause confusion so dont get too sloppy- so situations will dictate. I am sure there is an official line on this but theres my experience.

High Wing Drifter
4th Apr 2005, 18:55
When ATC abbreviate your callsign, then so can you. G-ABCD would become G-CD

Down 'n' Hanging
4th Apr 2005, 19:04
Hi Windshear

You use the aircraft's full callsign eg, G-ABCD until ATC abbreviate it to G-CD. When you change to a new frequency, that ATC unit may already be working another "G-CD". If this were the case the other aircraft would also be asked to use its full callsign to avoid confusion.

So on first contact, including going from Tower to Approach; or vice-verse, full callsign.

In the UK, and most other European countries, the country prefix is used and the last two registration letters in the abbreviated callsign.

Abbreviations to the last three letters of an aircraft's callasign do occur in countries such as Canada and New Zealand. No doubt there are others.

Hope this helps

D 'n' H

WindSheer
4th Apr 2005, 20:20
Thanks for your brilliant replies guys.

Answered it perfectly!!

I think G-SPOT would require abbreviating!:ok:

Whirlygig
4th Apr 2005, 21:39
Sadly, G-SPOT was de-registered as destroyed many years ago.

Shame that old reg's are not re-used; perhaps that way, the CAA could make some money like DVLA have!

Cheers

Whirlygig

moggiee
6th Apr 2005, 12:28
I thought that old regs were re-used?

BA (and BOC before them) have ahd G-BOAC on a number of different airframes.

Piltdown Man
7th Apr 2005, 09:31
Get the CAA publication on RT, CAP 413. This will explain all.

Genghis the Engineer
7th Apr 2005, 22:32
Spotted the other day that somebody has just registered G-V V V V , I do hope that nobody asks me to fly that!

G

Keygrip
8th Apr 2005, 01:40
Genghis - I remember a helicopter that used to frequent Liverpool - G- WWWW.

Whoever asked for that private registration should be shot by anybody who tries to speak on the radio.