PDA

View Full Version : Disgruntled Ag-Pilots seek own forum - Threaten Global Starvation if non-compliance!

Lowlevldevl
4th Apr 2005, 11:36
Originally Posted in 'Vote here for an Ag-Pilot Forum'

It's DEFINITELY time we had our own forum.
If ever there was a group of pilots that needed a venue to discuss issues that concern us ie; the reason we've been having so many expensive and lethal accidents this season.....Its us. Ag pilots.
PPRune was conceived originally for airline types to discuss pay issues and company BS because they almost never all got together at one place to do it in person.
And how its grown. There are forums for ALL branches of aviation. Even non-pilot on-lookers for gawds sake. Yet we, who spend our entire working lives helping to feed and clothe all those other forum lurkers, and doing it in single seat machinery isolated as hell a lot of the time, with few other fellow ag-pilots to talk to except maybe the opposition guys (and who's going to believe anything THEY tell you?(';)')
) have to be content with a sub-thread in D&G Questions. This is an absolute travesty.
What's going on? Is PPRune controlled by chemical-phobic environmentalist city dwellers in denial about the true source of just about every damn thing they eat, drink and wear.
Shut down the airlines for a year and people save money on travel (':ok:')
Shut down ag-aviation for a year and watch food and fibre prices sky-rocket.
Get with the program PPRune gods. I know you're UK based. The reason there are no more ag aviators in the UK is because your farms are so small and your fighter pilots kept running into them. That doesn't mean the rest of us are irrelevant.
Give us a crack at this will you? If it isn't being used in 12 months, close it down again.

You've got forums for people who don't quite fit into other forums, you bastards wouldn't eat if it wasn'f for us!;)

Woomera
4th Apr 2005, 23:20
:E

I'll copy this thread to our Administration Forum so our esteemed Masters are aware millions will die from starvation if you don't get your own forum....... :}

Woomera

Arm out the window
5th Apr 2005, 02:11
Lowlevldevl, you must be just up the road from me - arrubagnuy!

tinpis
5th Apr 2005, 02:23
Lapun pee-en-gee-er's and Dung dusters on the same board?

OMG

:}

currawong
5th Apr 2005, 09:55
Good point.

If you can make space for train-spotters, er, sorry plane-spotters why not aircrew past and present in this vital industry?

Last time I heard anything about Ag aviation in the UK there was one Pawnee and four choppers working nationwide, with the majority of the public believing their activities were highly illegal.

Well, the rest of the world is not like that at all.

I think maybe someone has a burr in their behind because we get to see and do things others can only dream about.

;)

Howard Hughes
5th Apr 2005, 23:23
Come on mods, give them a forum.
I just can't wait to read the threads:

Power Lines-Under or Over?

Stall Turns @ Ground Level

Big hoppers - Does size really matter?

And my favourite:

DEA Wannabees -Terms and Conditions of course this one would be stickied.;)

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

tipsy
6th Apr 2005, 09:59
I smiled today when it was pointed out to me that in order to make valid a decision, one needs to know something of the matter to be decided upon.

Perhaps that explains the lack of a decision on the request for a Ag-Pilot Forum.

Europe:yuk: (JAA & EASA)

tipsy

AT502
8th Apr 2005, 01:11
Hi all,

I apologise I have let the cause down a little with my absence. Anyway I am thrilled that there has been so much support of late with regards to lobbying for our own forum.

Woomera, do you still want me to write to the 'Powers That Be' or does a threat of starvation outweigh what I could possibly write?

Lowlevldevl has really said it all and you have all heard my argument as well, so I don't feel I need to repeat myself again!

So what should we call ourselves?????? Back'n'Forthers? Prop Dusters? The Almighty Ones?

Cheers,

ST:ok:

P.S. Howard Hughes, I saw your movie the other night! For anyone who has not seen it yet, get to your nearest theatre, best on the big screen.

tinpis
8th Apr 2005, 01:31
Just out of interest did anyone reading this forum who was croppying in 73 or so,avail themselves of the free money Goof and the Labour govt were throwing around to do an instrument rating and subsequently pass on to shinier things?

Howard Hughes
8th Apr 2005, 02:45
P.S. Howard Hughes, I saw your movie the other night! For anyone who has not seen it yet, get to your nearest theatre, best on the big screen.

You'll have to excuse me I need to go and wash my hands!! ;)

Cheers, HH.

Super Cecil
8th Apr 2005, 08:13
Wasn't mobile then Tinpiss but everyone I know from then either got an Instrument or Instructor rating. Most still went on AG flying, it was the Super Subsidy taken off I think. Didn't make a lot of difference it was only $12 a ton but the outrage from the cocky's you'd have thought it was $1200 a ton.

farmflyer
8th Apr 2005, 08:33
Would be a very good idea setting up an extra forum for ag-
pilots!
I am flying 737 in the crowded German/European airspace and
this is not boring at all.
But what this agflyers are doing, that`s the real and pure
FLYING. I have seen crop dusters flying night runs with strong
lamps for treating potatoes against those ****in` beetles.Night runs in 2 metres above the ground, even in hilly country!
These guys are marvellous and they are doing a real important
job. There enemies are not only the dangers from their type of flying, but also there are very bad people (mostly greenies,
environmentalists, and city dwellers who don`t know anything
about cropping and agriculture) putting extra long but thin fence
posts into the fields to down the air tractors and agcats. There
have been deadly accidents already in California because of that.
This is also some sort of terrorism against aviation, in this case
against the agflyers.
Agflying is a tough job, these people must know also a lot about
agriculture, cropping, chemicals and the nature of course.
Give them an extra forum; we (the line pilots e.g.) could see some
very interesting new things!!!

currawong
10th Apr 2005, 02:58
Welcome aboard farmflyer.

Support from other parts of the world and other sectors of the aviation community is a great help.

tinpis, I worked with a bloke that used his to go rotary wing.

Although I note the govt. is paying teachers $50,000 to leave....

multime
11th Apr 2005, 07:55
Yes the vegetarians be afaid!!
they,ll all be singin the BULLDOCK, PARATHION, @ CURACRON BLUES!!!.:ok:

maxspeed
11th Apr 2005, 23:35
Well I wasent planning on getting back on pprune for a at least another week or so as I promised my self a detatchment from flying and all flying related activities for a few weeks after what turned out to be a good cotton season, but since it is raining and no good for the beach this morning (scantily clad girls are staying home) and its not quite 10am (beer o'clock) I thought I would poke my nose in.
Low level D, great post, but tell me why make a head line "Disgruntled Ag Pilot"
Mate tell me when Ag Pilots are ever NOT disgruntled........ OH hang on the whats that isee the suns out.... hello princess....1 XXXX bitter please... :O

Lowlevldevl
12th Apr 2005, 20:53
Hey Fellas,
Thought I'd let you know that I copied my little tongue-in-cheek post across to one of the other non-airline forums. The moderators response there was that word has come back that the administrastors have no intention of letting us have our own forum despite the blurb on the homepage. So we are expected to continue to post inside these other non-specific forums. The global one to use is Biz Jets & GA. Now of course any ag-pilot looking for somewhere to seek and share ideas and information is going to find that easily from a simple Google search -NOT! I would encourage you all to try to use it anyway regardless. Unless you only want to chat with Aussies and Kiwis it would be great to try and get some more international communication between us all developed. But I think from previous experience it is unlikely to ever be popular until we get our own dedicated site.
Does any body know of anything ? ? that is specific to our type of flying that has any popular support?
I don't but if I did I'd go there.

AT502
12th Apr 2005, 23:54
Dear Woomera,

Is this true, we are not going to get our own forum? If so could you please explain why, given our very strong arguments?

Do the "The Powers That Be" not think we are worthy?

As Pauline would say "PLEASE EXPLAIN"

ST:{

tipsy
13th Apr 2005, 04:03
Perhaps they are too busy trying to work out how to get the time right:ok:

Or

Can't think of a valid answer to your question

or

Don't care.

or

Don't understand

or

any number of 100's of excuses

tipsy

:{ :{ :{

PPRuNe Towers
13th Apr 2005, 20:35
Simple answer:

7% of active PPruNers contribute actual words - the rest lurk and the majority of readers don't even register.

We find that forums need 130 - 150 regulars for any words to appear on a regular basis. Regarding the original thread for you folks - if you take away the posts of one person there isn't much there at all.

You might not like what I have to say but the point is that given the contributions so far even a mail list would be pretty thin. Therefore it's our judgement that the existing BizJet and GA forum is open for your use.

Now you have every right to think me wrong but the ultimate point is that setting up a mailist or simple forum is entirely free - that's how we started but we had to hand code it all in those days. It really is simple. We did it, there's absolutely no reason why you guys can't. In the meantime we've given you space entirely without charge or any requirements to see what you can develop amongst your colleagues.

I can't help but get the impression that you think PPRuNe is some sort of business run from cool glass walled hi tech offices with a team of staff. Reality is that Danny and I are working line pilots running the site with our laptops from a series of hotel rooms around the world. Perhaps you could put a similar effort in yourselves?

Regards to all,
Rob Lloyd

tipsy
14th Apr 2005, 01:50
Not the desired outcome but at least an answer/explanation.

tks

tipsy:{ :{

CoodaShooda
14th Apr 2005, 02:26
Rob
How about a compromise and rebadge 'BizJet & GA' to 'BizJet, Ag & GA' (not necessarily in that order)?

PPRuNe Towers
14th Apr 2005, 06:42
That's done for you.

Rob

CoodaShooda
14th Apr 2005, 07:01
Thanks Rob :ok:

currawong
14th Apr 2005, 09:55
Thanks for stopping by to talk to us Rob.

Your efforts are appreciated.

AT502
14th Apr 2005, 22:52
Thanks Rob,

Firstly let me respond to your quote, which I have posted below;

"I can't help but get the impression that you think PPRuNe is some sort of business run from cool glass walled hi tech offices with a team of staff. Reality is that Danny and I are working line pilots running the site with our laptops from a series of hotel rooms around the world. Perhaps you could put a similar effort in yourselves?"

I certainly do not have this impression about you at all. If anything I get the feeling you are not supportive of Ag Flying!

Yes we probably could & should set up our own forum, however when there is an aviation forum in exisitance and quite popular, why should we do go and set another one up, we thought this is what Pprune was about.

Anyway thank you for the compromise and allowing us to share with BizJets.

Cheers,

ST