PDA

View Full Version : Guide dogs allowed in cabin

ORAC
4th Apr 2005, 09:56
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4407907.stm) Air travel change for guide dogs

New rules mean guide dogs can now travel in the passenger cabin on certain long-haul flights from Gatwick, Heathrow and Manchester airports. Previously, guide dogs entering the UK on long-haul routes were kept in the aircraft's hold away from their owner.

The new guidelines have been jointly planned by the Guide Dogs charity, BAA and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). They recommend a maximum 10-hour journey on Defra-approved flights. There was concern that guide dogs and other assistance dogs could become easily disorientated and distressed if kept in the hold.

Tom Pey, Guide Dogs' director of policy and development, said: "Guide dogs and their blind and partially-sighted owners form an extraordinary partnership, and it's essential that this companionship remains whilst in transit."

The new arrangements will come into place on Monday. The UK airlines which have signed up to take part are Britannia Airways, British Airways, EasyJet, First Choice Airways and Virgin Atlantic.

The rules of Defra's Pet Passport scheme state that travelling dogs must be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies, blood tested and treated against ticks and tapeworms. Owners will have to carry car safety-style harnesses for securing their dog during the flight.

Angus Meecoat
4th Apr 2005, 10:07
So who is going to be clearing up the dog mess then, are the crew going to be issued with poop scoops. I never seen a CC contract that includes clearing up dog mess.

The other passengers will be well happy as half way through their meal they have to sit and watch while the dog has a crap. Maybe guide dogs are trained to tell you when they want to go to the loo but I don't remember seeing too many trees up at 35000.

Another silly ill thought PC idea by people at DEFRA and the BAA without considering all the consequences.

Ropey Pilot
4th Apr 2005, 10:12
There was concern that guide dogs and other assistance dogs could become easily disorientated and distressed if kept in the hold.

Why are guide dogs more likely to be disorientated than any other dogs. In fact if they are more intelligent shouldn't they be able to cope better than a 'stupid' mutt running round in circles and howling?

ATNotts
4th Apr 2005, 10:28
Now let me think, given the choice of sitting next to a blind person and their guide dog, or amongst a group of drunken yobs on a stag party, being loud, abusive and possible throwing up over me...?

No contest, give me a labrador or alsatian mutt anytime!

I guess that most crews may well be of like mind.

Capt Fathom
4th Apr 2005, 10:55
Angus, have you ever ventured into the Lav at the end of a longhaul flight and seen the crap (pun intended!) that gets left behind! I'll take the dog any day.

Backtrack
4th Apr 2005, 10:57
Here, here ATNotts .
And perhaps they could be used to assist in dealing with disruptive pax:O :O :O

Getoutofmygalley
4th Apr 2005, 11:01
Hello all

I am a member of cabin crew with easyJet at London Gatwick, and I have operated several domestic flights in the past with visually impaired passengers who are travelling with their guide dogs.

Every time we have had a guide dog on board, the dogs have been extremely well behaved and have not had any 'accidents'.

Given the choice of a guide dog in the cabin or a child with a pot of opened pringles, give me the guide dog anyday!!! :}

ORAC
4th Apr 2005, 11:32
Wonder when they will allowed in the cockpit?.... :}

Captain104
4th Apr 2005, 11:36
A bit caution judging dog behavier. The following story is true.

In 1984 we trained our upgrading pilots on B-727 at YMX. Parts of the ferry flights FRA-YMX via KEF and back were sold to a Newfoundland dog fan club, with necessary stopovers at Halifax. More than 50 dogs entered the slightly modified cabin at FRA and laid down in front of their proud masters. After landing in KEF they left orderly and did outside nearby what was necessary and expected. They boarded again with grace and returned exactly to their seats/location they had selected before. More than 50 dogs enjoyed the landing at Halifax and left the AC with friendly faces.

Our maintenance staff in the cabin during this trip and the ride back to FRA( again they found their "booked" places by themselves) a week later still insists that not even a drip of dog pee ruined the blue carpetfloor. ;)

Regards

Getoutofmygalley
4th Apr 2005, 13:28
On easyJet flights, the visually impaired passengers tend to sit on row 1F which has a bulkhead in front of it (on the other side of the bulkhead is the forward galley and exit D1R).

As this is the front row albeit with the bulkhead, there is plenty of room for the dog to sit without it getting squashed.

I think the argument about dogs not being allowed in restaurant kitchens is a mute point, because in a restaurant you would not have a toilet by the kitchen with just one door seperating them (I do believe that H&S laws in the UK specify two doors seperating a food preparation area and a toilet) - yet most aircraft seem to have a toilet within the immediate vicinity of the galleys where food is prepared.

And a dog would no more hamper an evacuation than a visually impaired passenger. In fact, if anything, the dog (if scared) would probably leap out of the doors where you are evacuating from, so your problem with the dog would be immediately 'resolved'.

If you suffer with an allergy and don't want to sit next to a dog, then speak to a member of crew, I am sure that they would be sympathetic to you (and if you are seated in a leg room seat, I am sure there will be many takers who will be more than willing to swap with you) - or if you are travelling on a loco, then you can sit where you like because of the unallocated seating :ok:. And if you don't like dogs, well, perhaps the dog won't like you either but I doubt it would complain too much.... :E

Paris Dakar
4th Apr 2005, 13:46
Mike Jenvey,

Nice response.

Presumably the folk who are worried about the dog leaving it's calling card somewhere on the upholstery are the same people who leave a No2 in there own beds - after all, how can you kip for 8+ hours without doing one...........................simple, you go beforehand, just like a dog would.

As for hindering my escape from a doomed aircraft, I'm more worried about the fat bloke wedged in the seat next to me and the geriatric old ladywho doesn't look like she could readily leap down the chute to safety. Perhaps large people and old people should go in the hold too!

I actually sat next to a lady on a flight from LAX to Schipol who had a dog with her, I mentioned the "dog's needs" and was told that it goes on command! Pity the pis*ed posh chap who was hell bent on drinking the KLM 747 dry couldn't exercise the same care as he chucked all over his seat, partner and stranger sitting next to him. Hot, packed 747, a ton of vomit - lovely.

I'll set next to Fido anyday.

Longtimer
4th Apr 2005, 13:52
Most countries including Canada have regulations in this regard. The Canadian Regulations are found at:
http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/access/regs/air_e.html (Accessibility Regulations)

Service animals
Properly trained guide dogs and other service animals are allowed on board the aircraft at no extra charge. Service animals are permitted to remain on the floor at the passenger's feet as long as they are properly harnessed. Passengers should note that they may be required to produce written proof that their service animal has been trained by a professional service animal institution.

The original ban on Service animals in the Passenger Cabin for flights to the UK had nothing to do with any problems with the service animals but everything to do with UK quarantine laws for Dogs.....

Getoutofmygalley
4th Apr 2005, 15:49
Row 1 on easyJet flights is considered an emergency exit row, but seats E & F are not restricted seats. These are allocated to passengers who require assistance.

For the record, restricted seats on easyJet aircraft are as follows:

B737
Row 1 A B C D
Rows 12 & 13
Row 25 C & D

A319
Row 1 A B C D
Rows 10 & 11
Row 26 C & D

Tolsti
5th Apr 2005, 04:46
Flew Air France from LIS-CDG in 1994. Lots of French Dog Exhibitors returning from a dog show with their animals. Terrible flight but I can't remember whether it was because of the dogs or their owners!

MOW- VVO on Aeroflot, passenger come on board witha fully grown Great Dane!!.... the seats on the Il 62 can fold up.... so the owner tipped the seat bottoms up, the dog lay down with its head at one end of the row and feet under the other end... stayed there for the whole flight

MikeKnight
5th Apr 2005, 11:28
With all this talk of impaired emergency egress, one wonders if the air regulators have considered kingdom Animalia when it comes to their simulated evacuation requirements?

Maude Charlee
6th Apr 2005, 10:08
Guide dog owners are extremely responsible, and their dogs highly trained and disciplined. Having dispatched a flight on Monday with a blind PAP and his dog, I saw this in evidence. The passenger requested beforehand that he be able to take his dog outside to allow it to relieve itself prior to boarding the a/c, and having facilitated this, the dog duly obliged without delay. No risk of the dog having any accident on board.

If only parents were able to train their children to the same standard, or act as responsibly.

Shropshire Lad
6th Apr 2005, 18:58
I do voluntary work with GD and know a couple of people who are regular fliers on short haul flights with their dogs - they are highly trained to do their stuff on command (the dogs that is!). We board them while they are training and they manage to go eight hours without making a mess of where they sleep and I've never had a guide dog that has so they should be able to cope with a range of long haul flights.

I think this is a much needed development and it saddens me that people are not very tolerant of the needs of others less able than themselves.