PDA

View Full Version : UK Conversion - NZ to UK PPL

DragonflyDH90
3rd Apr 2005, 05:20
Hi there,

Im sure someone can help me out there.
I will be heading to the UK towards the end of the year for an aerobatics comp, and will be flying a G reg aircraft.
I am the holder of an New Zealand CPL and Instructor rating, aerobatics etc etc (Im really only after a UK PPL but CPL would be good if possible).
Was wondering what is required to convert, and the length of time required to process (as with most CAA I presume it will take a month of Sunday's).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I was having trouble navigating the UK CAA website.

Thanks from NZ.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Apr 2005, 09:53
I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, if you've got a current ICAO PPL (which I'm sure your NZ licence is), UK CAA will allow you to fly G-reg aircraft on it, so long as you stay day-VMC and in British airspace.

G

DragonflyDH90
3rd Apr 2005, 10:42
Much appreciated, looking forward to being in the UK again and getting away from our winter here at that time.
Hope its a little warmer than your last summer......;)

G-KEST
3rd Apr 2005, 15:33
Looking forward to meeting you at Woburn. Your NZ licence will be fine providing it is valid in NZ in terms of medical and any BFR requirements being satisfied. How did the NZ selections go off? It was great flying against Simon Spencer-Bower back in the mid 1980's but that b****y Springbok, Brian Zeederburg, wiped us out. Roll on August.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
;)

Keygrip
3rd Apr 2005, 16:28
From the CAA website...

Exercising the privileges of a JAA Licence or an ICAO licence in UK Registered Aircraft

We have received a number of enquiries from Non-UK licence holders about the privileges of their licence within the UK. The situation is as follows:-

Article 21, of the Air Navigation Order 2000, states, that a pilot must hold an appropriate licence granted either by the UK CAA or by a foreign authority and rendered valid under the ANO to fly a UK registered aircraft.

A JAA licence is deemed to be a licence rendered valid under the ANO unless the CAA in the particular case gives a direction to the contrary. A JAA licence is a licence issued in accordance with licensing and medical requirements of JAR-FCL by a full JAA Member State that has been recommended for mutual recognition by Central JAA (JAA Headquarters). For the current mutual recognition status of JAA Member States please select this link.

A licence issued by any other ICAO Contracting State (including a JAA State that has not yet been recommended for mutual recognition) is also deemed to be valid under the ANO for the purposes of flying a UK registered aircraft, providing that the licence and medical are valid in accordance with the rules/laws of the issuing State, and the CAA does not in the particular case give direction to the contrary. However, Article 21 (4) (a) states that the holder of such a licence cannot:

1) Act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he receives remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or

2) In the case of a pilot’s licence, act as a pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying.

Where a licence contains any extraordinary operational or medical limitations, individuals should contact PLD for advice.

DragonflyDH90
5th Apr 2005, 06:43
Thanks for the help everyone, may get the chance to meet a few of you towards the end of the year.