PDA

View Full Version : What a Lady, an officer, and a helicopter pilot!

SASless
3rd Apr 2005, 01:23
I just surfed across the channels on the Television and stopped for a moment on C-Span. The program was a series of interviews of wounded Soldiers and Marines who have been evacuated from Iraq.

The segment that was on involved Major Tammy Duckworth, US Army, a female Blackhawk pilot that was severely injured when her aircraft was hit in the air by an RPG round. The RPG impacted her side of the cockpit, exploded in front of her, removed the pedals, cyclic, her right leg well above the knee, her left leg below the knee, and most of the tissue behind her right arm above the elbow and exited the roof of the aircraft damaging the main rotor blades and doing other major damage to the aircraft.

She absolutely impressed this old soldier....her spirit, morale, and dedication to the service of her country is unbelievable. She is a genuine hero in my book. She promises to be back on flight status one day.....from what I saw tonight....she will succeed if only for her incredible spirit.

This one is a keeper. Where do we find these wonderful young people?

Excerpt from a magazine article about her

Injured pilot determined to fly again
December 29, 2004

Illinois Army National Guard officer Tammy Duckworth was promoted to major on Dec. 21 at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C. Duckworth lost most of both of her legs after the helicopter she was piloting was shot down in Iraq on Nov. 12. Lt. Col. Fred Allen, in the brown flight suit, was one of the members of the Illinois Army Guard who attended the promotion ceremony. Allen, who commands the 1st Battalion, 106th Aviation, was Duckworth's commanding officer in Iraq. Master Sgt. Bob Haskell

A Black Hawk helicopter pilot had a surprise visit four days before Christmas, receiving an Army Commendation Medal, Air Medal and promotion to major.

Maj. Ladda “Tammy” Duckworth, of the Illinois National Guard’s 1-106th Aviation, is recuperating from injuries at Walter Reed Army Medical Center after a rocket-propelled grenade hit the helicopter she was piloting in Iraq Nov. 12.

“I hope this is the worst thing that happens to anyone in the 106th during this deployment,” said Duckworth. “This is not so bad, there is always somebody worse off than you are. I’m just glad it was me and not one of my guys out there.”

Duckworth received a Purple Heart Dec.12, after loosing both of both of her legs and sustaining severe injuries to her right arm. Her copilot, from the Missouri Army Guard, landed the crippled Black Hawk as crewmembers, air ambulance personnel and doctors on the ground worked feverishly to save her life.

“She (Duckworth) is a person of unusual strength and courage and tremendous personal discipline,” said Lt. Gen. Roger Schultz. “Just being around her gives you a sense of appreciation for the people who make our Army the organization it is.”

Duckworth is determined to remain a Soldier, and hopes that after a long recovery process she will be able to fly again, or at least remain in the Army Guard.

“It is always a privilege to wear the uniform,” said Duckworth, who has been assured she can return to her civilian job as manager of Rotary clubs in the Asian-Pacific area for Rotary International when she is able.

(Editor's note: Information provided by Master Sgt. Bob Haskell, National Guard Bureau)
:ok: :ok:

Pilgrim101
3rd Apr 2005, 05:54
Raw courage, she sounds like she would be one of the first to quote the old saying , "If you can't take a joke, don't join !"

I won't even bother to wish her a speedy recovery, since she is already there in spirit.

Liked this too !

It is the Soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the Soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
It is the Soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the Soldier, who salutes the flag, serves under the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC

I confess to a slight bias there :ok:

Front Seater
3rd Apr 2005, 07:39
Amazing and I am glad that there is still this ethos and esprit de corps in the armed forces. As a collective the spams do get alot of bashing worldwide, but individually if this account is true then I respect this lady.

You look at the rubbish that Pile of Poo places on his thread (you know the one about is life different outside of the OCU) and you realise that bravery, fighting instinct physical and moral courage appear to be rare traits these days.

Heaven forbid if I have the misfortune to been involved in such an incident then I hope I handle it as well as Maj Duckworth, both during the contact and also during the subsequent healing process.

FJJP
3rd Apr 2005, 08:12
She is one helluva lady...

Another couple of links - puts a face to the name and gives some info as to her current activities:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dispatches/alohatroops/d

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/fgduckworth.htm

She opitimises the attitude of the American citizen towards service in support of their Country. Her comments also betray raw courage that should be an inspiration to the gutless and mindless me me me culture that prevails in this country today - except that it would be dismissed as irrelevant. She gives inspiration to those of us facing death...

I wish the people in the UK had a smattering of the regard with which the US people hold their Armed Forces. Yes, a lot of it we regard as 'schmaltzy', but in the States to be a member of the Forces is to BE someone of note. And despite her handicaps, she is determined to continue to serve her Country.

Says it all, really.

SASless
3rd Apr 2005, 13:07
I used to have some unflattering opinions about female Army helicopter pilots in general....affirmative action and all that having an influence upon my thinking.

In this case, watching her for about an hour, being interviewed, demonstrating her man-made legs, and undergoing therapy.....simply put me in awe of her courage and indomitable spirit. If you get a chance to see that broadcast on the C-Span channel....do not miss the opportunity to watch it.

For military people, war fighters, it is inspirational. This is one gutsy little Hawaiian girl who is proud to be a soldier....despite being gravely wounded in combat.

oldfella
3rd Apr 2005, 20:27
A brave lady.

I admire her courage and strength of character. I wish her all the best in her ambition to fly again