PDA

View Full Version : Can Boeing re-design the Jumbo to keep a Legend alive?

Byrna
2nd Apr 2005, 15:00
Hello everyone,

I have seen some postings regarding the 747-400 and how its new orders/sales is going down and being a sypathetic fan of the Jumbo, I'm quite sad that, one day, the Jumbo will be no more and will be retired.

I was wondering - actually really hoping with all my heart! - if Boeing would consider completely re-designing the Jumbo, but keeping its unique bulging form which is what makes it a Legend and recognizable all over the world. No other plane looks like it and I think its front bulge, that adorable chubbiness, is what makes the Jumbo a very sympathetic airplane and sets it apart from the other planes in service now.

Basically, my idea was for Boeing to redesign the engines, the systems if necessary (to be compatible with the new engines), and even use the new carbon body construction, to make the plane highly fuel efficient so it matches or even exceeds the range and operating costs of the A340 and even the A380. They could even increase its passanger capacity slightly, by say 20 seats to make it more attractive. But the idea is not to make a bigger plane, but keep the same dimensions, and particularly the shape, but to make it highly cost-efficient so airlines will start placing orders for it again.

Boeing should realize something - the unique SHAPE of the Jumbo can be used as a marketing tool. Every other plane out there basically looks boring - just a "tube" really, with wings and engines, nothing more. But the re-designed Jumbo can be both BEAUTIFUL and COST-EFFECTIVE.

What do you think? I would be particularly interested in the opionions of those of you in the airline business.

John

Konkordski
2nd Apr 2005, 16:10
Where have you been?

This has been around for a while: 747 Advanced (http://www.answers.com/topic/boeing-747-advanced)

Byrna
2nd Apr 2005, 16:25
Thanks,

Well...I've been here on Earth really :)) but have not really looked into aviation news. This is good news and hope Boeing carries through with its plans.

John

Piltdown Man
5th Apr 2005, 18:15
IMHO - Not really, as Airbus would quite rightly insist that it is re-certified as a new aircraft and not allowed through under "Grandfather Rights" like each version of the B737 and B747. This would force more fundamental changes to the design and make it un-economic.

747FOCAL
5th Apr 2005, 18:57
Piltdown Man,

Not to flame you or anything, but it is up to the manufacturer to keep the derivative aircraft off the existing Type Certificate. If Boeing elects to keep the 747 Advanced on the existing Type Certificate what has already been certified will be grandfathered.

All aircraft manufacturers want the ability to claim equivelency to past work so they dont have to pay to do it again.

Even you say "re-certify" in your post that I am speaking to.