PDA

View Full Version : Hiring out a Baron

Daniel Beurich
1st Apr 2005, 05:37
Pilotz,

Does any one know where one could hire out a Baron 58, in reasonable conditions, for a few days, in the Gold Coast-Archerfield region. Preferably staying within YBCG area.

Also, all multi engine hours are on a Beech Duchess, are the cockpits similar, and handling similar, or do i need to get some Dual hours in the Baron first?

Daniel

tinpis
1st Apr 2005, 06:08
Also, all multi engine hours are on a Beech Duchess, are the cockpits similar, and handling similar, or do i need to get some Dual hours in the Baron first?

Nah...you be ok..you prolly gonna be somewhere way past Noosa by the time ya get the hang of it.....

Woomera
1st Apr 2005, 07:25
Daniel, I think Tinpis is trying to tell you, in his usual very subtle way, that there are some differences between a BE76 and a BE58 which you should consider.......

Nothing to really worry about though......

:E

FNQ
1st Apr 2005, 07:56
Daniel,
You said all time on a duchy. is that's true wou'll need to do a 58/Travelair endorsement before you can leagally fly one??
Hempels Aviation out of Archerfield have a baron that they hire i think (they do endorsements in it) There a flying school. Just so you know though i'm not actually recommending you do your endorsement there. I did my IFR there but the shelia i was training with has left and can't vouch for other instructors competance.
Hempels is very well priced though.
Tailwinds
FNQ

Daniel Beurich
1st Apr 2005, 10:29
FNQ,

im not sure if its illegal to fly it, without an endorsement, but looking at the B58 cockpit, it looks very similar to duchy, and im wondering if ill need dual time on it. If they are similar, then it should be fine, but im flying it to Bankstown with some mates, and the Baron offers abit more room and luxury than the Duchy. I'd probably get used to it by the end of the danger zona south of Cooly.

How much would a B58 endorsment cost? and how many hours is it?

Daniel

FNQ
1st Apr 2005, 11:06
Daniel,

Refer CAR 5.22
CAO 40.1.0

You do need to be endorsed I'm rated on the 58 and the duchess. I was only 58 rated and went to do my ME-CIR but had to do the duchess endorsement first. Only took 1.1 cause they are so similar. So say 1 to 1.5 hours depending. looking at around 500 an hour plus instructor. Well that's what our baron charters at with pilot but down there it may be a bit more.

FNQ

Tinstaafl
2nd Apr 2005, 01:49
Similar? I don't think so.

'New' Baron or 'old' Baron ie pre- or post-cockpit reshuffle is also a significant factor.

Old: Gear & Flap selectors are switched. As are throttles & RPM levers.

All: Emergency gear extension very different. Handling different - more inertia, greater speeds at which things happen. Performance much better for the Baron (except asymmetric at full load. Light twins are all pretty much as bad as each other...). Continental injected engines so good luck for hot starts until you get the hang of them. Significant fuel pump differences too. Who would have thought the fuel pump could cause rough running or even stop the engine? Fuel flow leaning in the climb to be considered.

You definitely require an endorsement i.a.w. the rules. A Baron is *not* classed as the same type as a Duchess. Unless the rules have changed, removing endorsements for multis <5700 kg?

If you're experienced on Bonanzas then a Baron isn't hugely different to the Bonanza. That's a much closer comparison than a Duchess.

Blue Sky Baron
2nd Apr 2005, 02:56
Comparing a Duchess to a Baron is like comparing a Cessna 150 to a Cessna 210.

Think what you want too, however no responsible Baron owner/operator would let you loose in their aircraft without firstly ensuring you are appropriately endorsed AND proficient in its operation.

The Baron is a delight to fly but is so much faster than the Duchess it will be on final while you are still climbing out.

BSB

Capt Fathom
2nd Apr 2005, 03:53
Come on, this guy can't be serious? Surely this is a wind-up!

Kickatinalong
2nd Apr 2005, 06:45
Danial, how many hours do you have in total solo?
I think you will never have a prang in a Baron, cause you would be about 20nm behind it.
It's only a couple of months since you started to fly as you were asking questions about basic training then.
Get real and stop mucking around.
Kickatinalong.
Answer the question.

Towering Q
2nd Apr 2005, 13:50
Flight Sim 2002 Professional Edition has a very nice B58. See if you can score some good scenery upgrades for the Gold Coast.