PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Trip Around the UK Coast Line

SRENNAPS
31st Mar 2005, 18:46
Can anybody help me?

About 15 years ago there was a prog on TV (not sure which channel) that was about a Hawk that flew around the entire coast of the UK, filming it.

When screened the film was speeded up and the entire trip lasted about an hour.

I have contacted the BBC and searched the internet - but with no results.

Does anybody remember seeing this film and better still does anyone have a copy of it.

Thanks

Safeware
31st Mar 2005, 19:00
Yes - shot rearwards and then played backwards to make it look like you were travelling forward, but no, haven't got a copy, sorry

sw

SirToppamHat
31st Mar 2005, 19:00
Or imagining it.

IIRC, the film was made in stages (obviously), and the camera was rearwards facing, but the film shown in reverse to give the impression of forward movement. I think the film was more about the UK Coastline than 'aviation', so the makers may have named it in a way that gives no clues about the Hawk involvement.

It would be interesting to see a modern equivalent.

STH

Oops, crossed posts, sorry Safeware.

Rattus
31st Mar 2005, 19:08
SRENNAPS

I do remember seeing it - it was called "Round Britain Whiz", and was inspired by the British Transport film "London to Brighton in 4 Minutes" in which a steam loco was "speeded up" to Mach 1.

The camera was mounted in a CBLS but came back from the first sortie with a lot of pictures of dead flies. So for the second attempt, they turned the camera round to point astern, and ran the film backwards - worked a treat, as when speeded up, nothing was in vision long enough to give the game away.

Hope this might jog someone's memory and that there is a copy out there somewhere.

Rattus

SRENNAPS
31st Mar 2005, 19:27
To All,
Many thanks for the quick replies.

"Rattus" I will try some internet searches on the gen you have given me. Thanks.

If you could all ask your mates tomorrow to help find a copy I would be eternally gratefull.

Call me sad but a bottle of red, classical music and that video would be very nice indeed.

Archimedes
31st Mar 2005, 19:28
It was part of the QED series - to jog memories, the one with the falling apple in the title sequence.

There is one reference to it that I've found on Google, dating from this time last year, and suggesting that the programme had not then been released on DVD/Video.

Oggin Aviator
31st Mar 2005, 19:32
I think it was done for either QED or Horizon ......

adr
31st Mar 2005, 19:52
If my unverified source is correct, this episode of the BBC science series QED was broadcast in February 1986.

I've opened a case at BBC Research, and hope to have verification (or otherwise) within ten days.

adr

Piece of Cake
31st Mar 2005, 20:04
I have a copy of it on VHS. It was one of the first ever programmes that we recorded when we first got our VCR.

The pilot of the Hawk was a Sqn Ldr Ray Philthorpe (Spelling?) and the footage is compressed so that it appears that you are flying at Mach 10.

Send a Private Message if I can be of any help.

Regards

PoC

Safeware
31st Mar 2005, 20:18
Rattus,

nothing was in vision long enough to give the game away

The reason I remember it as being backwards was that the exhaust trail was visible, IIRC to the left of centre as viewed.

sw

SRENNAPS
31st Mar 2005, 20:24
PoC

Brilliant many thanks for that. I have sent a private message. Hope you get it - but I might have messed it up.

Squadgy
31st Mar 2005, 21:25
I remember this too .... wasn't it a Red Arrows Hawk that was used?

Conan the Librarian
31st Mar 2005, 23:05
Did have it on video, but no more.... However,I can tell that the pilot was one Ray Thilthorpe, ex Red Arrows manager and he did try to sort out a few airshows afer he left the mob.. Pity, cos' I was in the right place, right time, etc and wanted to do just that.

Oh, we dream.....

PS a fabulous proggie and one of the few that I wish I still had.

27mm
1st Apr 2005, 04:43
Believe the pilot's name was Sqn Ldr Ray Thilthorpe, who was the Sparrow's team manager at the time, hence the trip being flown in a red jet; that's all I can recall, though - if you find the vid, post us a link, ta!

idle-centralise
1st Apr 2005, 10:15
my dad has a copy of it as well, so if you can't get it from anywhere else, p-m me and I'll try to arrange one for you. Not sure what state it's in after 15 years though.

Groundgripper
1st Apr 2005, 10:35
The programme (2 hours long) was called The Shape of the Nation and was broadcast on BBC2 on 26th December 1988 (if the notes on my VHS copy are correct!).

As far as I can remember I've never watched it again (before today) since the original broadcast!

Not sure about the Red Arrows aircraft being used - the Hawk shown at the start of the film is in standard training colours of the time, not that that means anything.

higthepig
1st Apr 2005, 14:52
Not wanting to muddy the waters on this, but I was at Valley in the mid 90s and I thought the filming was done by one of our Hawks. Cookie was the pilot. Surprised us as he found his way round the coastline and didn't get lost!

allan907
1st Apr 2005, 14:57
My copy is OK. PM me if you need it.

SRENNAPS
1st Apr 2005, 17:00
To all who have posted

Somebody on this thread has kindly agreed to lend me his tape for me to copy.

I certainly appreciate all who have posted and in particular those who have offered to help with a copy.

Many thanks to all.

spinstallaeropfl
1st Apr 2005, 17:35
I remeber those sorties.... flown by 'harry the pilot' himself... I'm sure those of you who do crosswords can work that one out..!

SSAP

Rattus
2nd Apr 2005, 19:33
SRENNAPS
Glad to be of assistance

Safeware
Touche - I'd forgotten about the smoke!

Rattus