PDA

View Full Version : Special Forces C-141B

Razor61
31st Mar 2005, 15:35
Saw this while browsing....
Must be a lovely change to be on the ground and hear these coming along at low level in formation.....
"Mallard Formation, two C-141s at low level......" :p :p.... ok ok only a thought :hmm:

---------------------------
In 1994, the Air Force began a program to refit 13 C-141Bs to the "Special Operations Low-Level II (SOLL II)" standard, with a total program cost of $41 million USD. These aircraft are operated by the USAF in behalf of the US Special Operations Command, and include gear for low-level night flying, as well as defensive countermeasures. The SOLL II Starlifters are also sometimes referred to as "Special Operations Forces Improvement Modification (SOFI-Mod)" Starlifters. Exactly what "SOLL I" was is unclear, unsurprising given the clandestine nature of the Special Operations Command, and it may have been an MC-130 or HC-130 Special Operations Hercules variant.

The SOLL II Starlifter looks much like any other C-141B, but it can be recognized by three "knobs" on its chin. One knob is directly under the nose and is a turret for a Texas Instruments AN/AAQ-17 forward looking infra-red (FLIR) imager, which gives the aircraft the ability to "see in the dark". The FLIR imagery is displayed on a CRT at the navigator's station, and on an auxiliary display for the pilot. The navigator points the FLIR turret using a joystick. The FLIR turret can be removed for maintenance.

The other two knobs are for AN/ALE-40 chaff-flare dispensers, and are mounted on the "cheeks" of the aircraft. There are also chaff-flare dispensers in the landing-gear wheel wells and on the wingtips. In addition, the defensive countermeasures suite includes an AN/AAR-44 infrared missile warning sensor fitted under the fuselage, and an AN/ALR-69 radar warning receiver with unobtrusive antennas tacked on to the nose and tail.

The defensive countermeasures system can be set to an "automatic" mode to dispense chaff and flares without crew intervention. The amount of chaff and flares to be dispensed can be preprogrammed. The sensors also provide an audible warning to the crew through their earphones, with the crew dispensing chaff and flares themselves when the system is in "manual" mode. Even the loadmaster can activate the dispensers, as he or she often keeps a "SAM (surface to air missile) watch" from the rear ramp.

The SOLL II Starlifter also includes an enhanced suite of communications equipment and Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation gear. The enhancements of the SOLL II increase its weight by about 680 kilograms (1,500 pounds) compared to a "stock" C-141B. Crews are handpicked for night operations, which are conducted with night vision goggles (NVGs). All SOLL II Starlifter cockpit and exterior lighting is NVG-compatible. Additional crewmembers are included for missions of long duration or with high workload requirements. Passengers on SOLL II flights tend to find the low-level flight of the aircraft in pitch darkness, often in formation with another SOLL II aircraft, to be a little unnerving.

Safeware
31st Mar 2005, 15:55
but it can be recognized by three "knobs" on its chin

Is that distinct from the knobs on the inside?

:) :) :)

sw

Razor61
31st Mar 2005, 16:16
always wanted a FLIR knob.......but then i haven't had any trouble so far seeing where i'm going in the dark :E :D :E

It's just her countermeasure that get a bit 'flarey' sometimes! :E

hobie
31st Mar 2005, 16:35
it can be recognized by three "knobs" on its chin.
Raz, you could have at least given us a picture of the "Knobs" !!!! ....... ;)

http://www.vectorsite.net/avc53.jpg

WE Branch Fanatic
31st Mar 2005, 16:38
Not what I heard........

When she sees your flares.....she makes sure her chaff is protected and hidden.....etc.

SASless
31st Mar 2005, 16:46
Are these on loan to the SAS and that kind of forces in the UK or does the RAF have their own equivalent machines?

Razor61
31st Mar 2005, 16:55
Hobie,

As you see, i did try!!! But i kind of thought you all know what a Knob looks like....or two...or three.....
:E :E :8 :} :mad:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/razor61/c141soll.jpg

SASless,

We have Hercs for SF but not with all the gubbins you have over there on yours...
Btw, the SOLL II is not just for the C-141 but for the C-17 and C-5 aswell.
However the C-17 was designed for low level flight from the outset, unlike the C-141/C5 which is why peeps in the back felt a little 'unnerving' flying in formation at low level in the back of a C-141 with a bloke at the back looking out for SAMs...