PDA

View Full Version : Is it stay or is it go, Sir?

inditrees
31st Mar 2005, 14:02
Having been witness to a very senior person(from Manning and Records) address a room full of SNCO pilots as "A bunch of f@cking f@ckers, If you dont like it then just f@ck off".

I thought that my position was clear, im no longer wanted and its time to go.
However, what do i find on my desk today but a form telling me that i am eligible to apply for LSL/continuance/PES/'S' Type, and that i must hurry to get it in by May.

Im a simple lad with not much education and very little ambition,
What should i do ????????

Gainesy
31st Mar 2005, 14:14
Does that apply in the AAC then?:)

inditrees
31st Mar 2005, 14:21
Very important man was talking AT a room of AAC SNCOs, many of whom are due to retire shortly.

cyrus
31st Mar 2005, 19:34
Very important man should very quickly be put back where he belongs via formal letter of complaint.

I thought that sort of man left the forces years ago.

owe ver chute
31st Mar 2005, 20:07
I've heared all sorts over the last couple of weeks, rumours about budget cuts leading to airfields closing etc.
If half of them are true then I guess the AAC will soon have more pilots than seats to fill. One area they will remain under-manned is in the AH squadrons. My guess is if you wanna go AH you'll have a job for life, if you are on a Lynx Sqn than you should be ok. If you are on floppy's ask for a conversion quick, if you wanna stay in.

Tourist
1st Apr 2005, 14:17
"A bunch of f@cking f@ckers, If you dont like it then just f@ck off".

You've got to respect his candour though.
He meant it, and he said it. If only more senior officers were as straight with you as he was.

JessTheDog
1st Apr 2005, 15:10
Doesn't sound like leadership to me.

inditrees
1st Apr 2005, 16:02
Yes i suppose it was nice of him to say exactly what he thinks of SNCO pilots.
So should a man that thinks they are "F@cking f@ckers" still be a man manager.

Investers In People :ok: EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muff Coupling
1st Apr 2005, 18:27
Oh dear..if substantiated, sounds like another spasm of poor man management for the light blue hatted fraternity:(

Just what is going on with you boys? Where is your head of arm in all this? Directorates are (if not bloody well should be) primarly about people. My sources tell me that there is an impending demographic outflow of time served (and by definition experienced) NCO pilots. Where /how is this diminishing experience baseline going to be made up?
Transiting young ooficers on their way to CDS?
Well resourced and properly trained AH pilots with oodles of op experience under their belts?
I would suggest not:confused:

Invest wisely in people to-day...reap dividends on the battlefield tomorrow:*

Yeller_Gait
1st Apr 2005, 18:38
Oh dear..if substantiated, sounds like another spasm of poor man management for the light blue hatted fraternity

I think it is well documented that we are talking about the army, in particular the AAC.

inditrees,

in answser to your last question, YES, don't let the ba*&£"rds get you down, you are better than those idiots.

Amazing that these people are still allowed to roam around unsupervised.

Archimedes
1st Apr 2005, 18:42
YG, hate to be pedantic, but I rather think that MC may have been referring to the AAC beret and its rather fetching shade, rather than the RAF whole light blue ensemble....

Front Seater
2nd Apr 2005, 05:27
Come on, is this any surprise. Lets be totally honest, one very important reason why we will always be the poor brothers of the Aviation world (even AH) has significant roots in the way that we are all managed. The only positive aspect is that we (NCOs and Officers) are in it together!

As already documented on this site a recent visit by a Cavalry Officer heading up the AAC Officer manning stated that he fond it difficult to comprehend why a young AH Flt Commander was doing the same job as a Tank park Sgt! Absolutely no concept or understanding of aviation.

The same manning branch is in the process of posting all of the AH trained officers of a Regt in the period of 3 months......so no continuity there then. But what makes it worst is that the AH programme has sweat blood and tears to provide the best training received by any AAC Sqn and yep, you've guessed it they are all (and I mean all) going to desk jobs in order for them to compete with the rest of the Army's career template (despite many of them more than happy to remain in the AH flying world).

So however absurd it sounds, the AAC is still run b y Cavalry types and sadly the Directorate is too busy fighting to save the whole Corps (see Future Lynx thread) and also in fighting with JHC to be able to stand back and see the true implications of what its antiquated, outdated and very Army manning policy is doing to the Corps and the AH capability.

Solution - hurry up and go Joint. Lets have a healthy mix of Direct Entry (DE) Officers in flying jobs to balance the SNCO and Late Entry QHI fraternity. This will result in a healthy experience level on the shop floor (as per the RN and RAF) rather than second tourists with less than 500 hours being Flt Commanders.

Whatever happens, the AAC must recognise that it is no longer the same as the Infantry or Armoured Corps and remove itself from the same career progression profile. We will lose too many officers that in their late 20s really do not want to fly a desk just yet and will leave or transfer Services.

If you look at CJOs (Torpy) and CDS (Stirrup's) career profile, how is that they manage numerous flying appointments alongside their desk jobs and still make it to the top? Why do we have a quick glimpse of flying and become desk bound - even more now as the chance of commanding a Sqn becomes less and less.

mystic_meg
2nd Apr 2005, 06:10
a recent visit by a Cavalry Officer heading up the AAC Officer manning

..and there's the rub, IMHO......if you don't put hay in one end and collect manure at the other, then poor Wupert simply doesn't understand this new-fangled aviation malarkey at all. :{

KENNYR
2nd Apr 2005, 06:45
And there is still a rumour going around that SNCO pilots will be a thing of the past when only commissioned officers will be graced with the flying brevet. I am so glad that I am no longer serving in the Corps...........Ahhhh, the good old days:)

diginagain
2nd Apr 2005, 06:57
I seem to recall that threat in the air (sorry) when I went through the sausage machine in '88.

Same old, same old.

The old, sweaty NCO former aircrewmen would be streamed onto the supatwin, while our commissioned bretheren would go to the floppies.

inditrees
2nd Apr 2005, 11:33
Well perhaps its time that we do what we are told and just f@ck off and leave it to the amateurs.

Then stand by and watch as Blue Circle Airlines step in and take over the AH from the Corps. This is not what i want to see but it would not take much more abuse of the corps SNCOs pilots and a healthy Civi market for it to happen.

SilsoeSid
2nd Apr 2005, 12:43
This is not what i want to see but it would not take much more abuse of the corps SNCOs pilots and a healthy Civi market for it to happen. Job advert in the latest (Mar-Apr edition) 'Update' from BALPA.

BRITISH AIRWAYS
www.britishairwaysjobs.com
Pilots-London based.
As a civilian pilot you will have at least 400hrs flying experience on a multi-crew airline transport aircraft with a max take-off mass of greater than 10 tonnes. You may be already be type rated on one of our current aircraft types, or have significant commercial experience on others. As a military pilot, you will have at least 1500hrs on any MOD aircraft.
Apply via the website."As a military pilot, you will have at least 1500hrs on any MOD aircraft.
Seems like the break that my 'floppy' driving friends are looking for. :ok: Mar-Apr edition

buoy15
2nd Apr 2005, 14:49
This goes back to the old joke of a presentation to an infant school from a Polish pilot about the war, when he said there were Fockers here, Fockers there, Fockers everywhere!

The teacher intervened to explain the Focker was a German fighter aircraft

"Not these Fockers, they were Messerschmidts", said the Pole!

I was in the crewroom in 201 Sqn in the early 70's when the IOR (Air Cdr) - on a recruiting drive - asked his PSC, "What are all these SNCO's doing here? Nuff said!!

Love Many, Trust a Few, Always paddle your own canoe!