PDA

View Full Version : a warning to car owners!

Ultralights
31st Mar 2005, 12:16
sorry for not being aircraft related, but this evening, my rego plates were stolen from my work van, and my plates were photographed on a vehicle filling up with 70 Ltrs of Premium Unleaded!!!

Mr Police officer was not very friendly as he suspected me in the crime, it wasnt until they looked a little deeper, and discovered the plates actually belonged to a DIESEL van, and NOT a red Subaru WRX.

Make sure your rego plates are secure! and fuel caps theft proof. with fuel prices going thurther north, i get the feeling this kind of crime will only get worse.......

now the real punch in the face, it will cost me $40 to get a new set of rego plates tomorrow!!!! :mad:

Woomera
31st Mar 2005, 12:25
Geeze, never thought of that. And my Prado holds 180 litres........... :}

Capt Fathom
31st Mar 2005, 22:25
My Toyota takes 40 ltrs ! :ok:

Animalclub
1st Apr 2005, 00:27
Even my Rolls Royce (cunningly disguised as a Ford Courier Ute) takes 100 litres!!

Buster Hyman
1st Apr 2005, 01:45
Well, the Buster mobile is currently off the road due to an altercation with a truck, however, its usual capacity is 70 litres. Given that it is an older model, I imagine that your larger Falcons & Commodores would be a prime target as well. So. Lockable fuel caps, removable rego plates & a self destruct anti tampering device will all be the go very soon!:suspect:

tipsy
1st Apr 2005, 01:57
Buster don't forget that DofTARS will probably be right onto the job and mandate $200 ASIO checked photo licences, wheel clamps, throttle locks, sterile parking bays, tamperproof number plates and group4 or chubb 'rent-a-thug' security points before you go out on the road etc.

All for our own "security" of course. Now theres a money making thought, tamperproof number plates, lets exploit the fear, a bit like terror(ism) isnt it.

tipsy

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: fur ball :yuk:

Woomera
1st Apr 2005, 03:45
One of our attractive, learned PPRuNe Moderatrix drew the following to my attention.....

One barrel of crude oil (containing 159 liters) currently costs US$55 = Aus$70.50 – or Aus$0.44 cents per liter.

Petrol costs approximately Aus$1.00 per liter bulk retail at the pump (no packaging materials).

A liter of bottled water purchased at a supermarket costs Aus$2.00 – double the price of petrol!!.

A 500 ml bottle of “spring” water costs $2.60 - $5.20 per litre!!.

To fill a one liter bottle at the kitchen tap costs less than Aus$0.001 cents. That is more than a two thousand-fold difference in price.

A carton of quality, premium beer (read XXXX Gold) costs Aus$27.00 per carton and contains 24 x 335 ml stubbie bottles – 8.04 liters or Aus$3.36 per litre - less than the cost per liter of "spring" water!!

Estimates vary, but somewhere between 70 and 75 percent of the Earth's surface is water-covered. The total water supply of the world is 326 million cubic miles. A cubic mile of water equals more than one trillion gallons.

There are no royalties or taxes on water.

So, why the fuss over petrol and beer prices when water costs around twice as much?

:E

Woomera

Behave Tipsy, or I'll sool the family dog onto you! :}

tinpis
1st Apr 2005, 04:41
Carton of barbed wire $37.00 here.

Didnt I read that bottled water got heaps of bacteria innit?

Woomera
1st Apr 2005, 07:19
That's because Barbed Wire is premium compared to your local ..... er .... brew, Tinpis! :}

There was a report in a consumer magazine some time ago that certain brands of bottled water contained significantly more than just H2O and some brands were dangerous.

Also, I've seen how water rusts railway lines which are stronger than my innards - best stick to beer.

Woomera

maxgrad
1st Apr 2005, 08:10
Beer is between $30 to $40 a carton here, but life may stop if I don't buy a slab per pay.
use bore water which probably just grow stange green fungus on railway lines.
I'm with you Woomera
beer:ok:

Ultralights
1st Apr 2005, 09:20
So, why the fuss over petrol and beer prices when water costs around twice as much?

how long will it take you to drink 100 Ltrs of beer/ water???? and how often will you buy 100 ltrs of beer/water?

Hi-loks make loveley tamper proof rego plate fasteners!

"how long will it take you to drink 100 Ltrs of beer/ water???? and how often will you buy 100 ltrs of beer/water?"

That's four questions, totally different answers! :}

But I admit, 100 liters of water would just about last me a life time! :\

Woomera

Obiwan
1st Apr 2005, 20:36
Heard a story of some young blokes who pinched the plates off a coppers car while girlfriend distracted coppers. Drove through his speed trap several times at high speed then returned plates with same distractions.

Dunno if it was true - but that would have been an interesting one for him to explain :ok:

Spodman
1st Apr 2005, 20:44
Plate stealing big here in Melbourne for citylink commuters.

The main trick is to make your plates un-removable with hand tools. My vehicles (erm, except for the new one, I'll get onto it tonight...) have the plates rivetted on. Get a big soft rivet or two from the hardware shop and give yourself piece of mind.

Howard Hughes
2nd Apr 2005, 06:53
Was'nt, me ultralights, my WRX is blue!!;)

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

Ultralights
2nd Apr 2005, 13:02
"how long will it take you to drink 100 Ltrs of beer/ water???? and how often will you buy 100 ltrs of beer/water?"

That's four questions, totally different answers!

But I admit, 100 liters of water would just about last me a life time!

Woomera

i didnt say i wasnt drinking any of said beer! ... hic ....

the wizard of auz
2nd Apr 2005, 15:25
Heres some more trivia for ya. a quite prodomonant brand of water on the market. Evian.............now read it backwards.

Pinky the pilot
3rd Apr 2005, 04:20
Used to work at a regional airport and remember seeing many times people turning up to catch a flight to the 'big smoke' clutching their bottles of expensive water. And the number of times that these bottles were left behind in the terminal building with only a few sips gone.
I used to gather them up and water the office plants with them. And the empties went into the Pilot's beer fund.:ok:
Now, what was this thread originally about? Oh yes....
You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Reverseflowkeroburna
7th Apr 2005, 04:52
A carton of quality, premium beer (read XXXX Gold)

Yeah......good one Woomera!

Humour like that can only come from the Smart State!

Cheers......make mine a Boags, Cascade or some other quality product thanks. Oh, and hold the "spring" water......too many of dem dangerous kemicals! :} :} :}

Eastwest Loco
12th Apr 2005, 11:37
I thought you would be into the James Boag Premium Woomera!

Goodness me:sad:

AND - if anyone was caught messing with Miss Zed - they would need private health insurance at least - a medivac at worst.

She might be old, but she is gorgeous and NOBODY messes with her.

EWL