PDA

View Full Version : How to spot a spotting spot - Spotting Locations everywhere! Q&A HERE

Pages : [1] 2

RUDAS
27th Sep 2004, 10:40
anyone know what the spotting's like at warsaw okecie airport? is there a deck? thanks:ok:

Student-PA28-161
26th Dec 2004, 20:03
hello all and merry christmas

i am looking for the help of all you spotters out there in order to find out what the top 5 UK airports are for spotting lets say for example:

1. Manchester (five stars)
5. Luton (1 star)

i hope you can all help

Avman
26th Dec 2004, 20:16
In terms of real facilities I'm struggling to think of more than two. I guess Manchester must be tops. Perhaps B'ham comes next if you consider their outdoor and indoor "spotting" areas. It all depends on what you want. If you're a number cruncher there may be a few more. If on the other hand you're into photography, then very very few offer anything that's any good. It's usually a case of finding unofficial locations near the approach to the runways.

Fried_Chicken
27th Dec 2004, 20:29
It all depends, if you collect numbers & want quantity, then places such as Heathrow, Birmingham, Stansted, Gatwick & Luton would be (possibly) the top 5 'spotting' locations.

However, if you collect numbers & you want quality, then places like Coventry (various old props, Dc3, Dc6, Electra & Russian Freighters), Biggin Hill (some interesting GA visitors & based aircraft) & East Mids (some nice freighters) would go into the list.

Same with photography, if you want photos of B747s, then Heathrow would be No1, if you want pics of Electras, then you'd make Coventry your No1.

I personally like looking at all those shiny nice bizjets at Luton (we can all dream) ;)

Fried Chicken

GrahamK
27th Dec 2004, 20:32
You can get some good views of the a/c at Carlisle...not a lot to see though :}

MichaelDoyle
28th Dec 2004, 11:52
Hi
Here is my top 5 for spotting regarding facilities.
1.Manchester
2.Gatwick
3.Birmingham
4.Heathrow
5.Liverpool

Top 5 regarding traffic variety
1.Heathrow
2.Manchester
3.Birmingham
4.Stansted
5.Gatwick

Thanks
Michael

eggc
28th Dec 2004, 17:21
Last time at LGW ( maybe a couple of months ago), the veiwing area was closed, and spotters we squatted, looking under a fence at the side of the runway...not spotter friendly in my view.

Stick to MAN, you cant go wrong for views or variety....

MAN No 1 on all counts :ok:

Fried_Chicken
28th Dec 2004, 21:16
My five:

1. Luton
2. Coventry (fantastic selection of old propliners)
3. Heathrow
4. London City (fantastic approach)
5. Biggin Hill

FC

simfly
28th Dec 2004, 22:12
"TOP 5 UK AIRPORTS"

Any Scottish airports not worthty of being in top 5??? Aberdeen for one is excellent and have seen some cracking photos from Edinburgh....

wub
29th Dec 2004, 11:44
Edinburgh is not bad for spotting, with good views from several off-terminal sites (the viewing gallery closed years ago) but the problem is in the variety of aircraft. Mostly Easyjet, BMI, BA, FlyBe and very rarely anything bigger than a 767.

http://www.pbase.com/glenns/image/38021705.jpg

RobT100
31st Dec 2004, 13:42
Leeds Bradford airport is my local airport and it certainly aint bad at all for spotting from. Like EDI though the biggest your really going to get (unless you land very lucky) is a 767.

pilot_will
1st Jan 2005, 02:07
Birmingham is very good, got an area called Marston Green to the 15 end. You are able to stand/sit by the 2nd set of approach lights!

33 end you have the car park, and a bus if you want to get back to the indoor spotting area :)

airhumberside
1st Jan 2005, 16:01
wub, when and why was the Air France B747 at EDI?

You can spot planes easily at HUY but variety is in short supply

Fried_Chicken
1st Jan 2005, 18:25
The AFR lump at EDI was probably bringing in French supporters for a Scotland Vs France rugby match. These Rugby matches (along with Scotland vs Ireland) bring in a large amount of visitors, both airline & GA to the airport.

The same goes for Cardiff airport for Wales vs France/Ireland rugby matches, the airport attracts plenty of fixed wing visitors (again airline & GA) with any overspill going to Gloucester, Bristol Filton & occasionaly Bristol Lulsgate.

Fried Chicken

IanH
1st Jan 2005, 22:28
I would nominate Prestwick.

Very good for photo's.........

The mound near to the control tower and the BAE gate at Monkton offer some good close up action, not the busiest airport in the UK but the quality of some of the visitors are unrivalled at pretty well any other UK civil airport.

wub
2nd Jan 2005, 12:46
Airhumberside; F_C is correct, the AF 747 was collecting French Rugby fans, back in March 2004. We had quite a selection that week from various charter airlines.

We also had a Tu-204 in November in connection with a football match.

Fried_Chicken
2nd Jan 2005, 14:32
When the Champions League Final was played at Old Trafford (Manchester, UK) last year or the year before, Manchester was crammed full of extra traffic, both airliners & bizjets. Does anybody know the total number of movements at manchester that day (possibly May 29th).

Some light aircraft & helicopters went to Manchester Barton & Liverpool aquired a few bizjets & a couple of airliners which couldn't aquire slots at MAN.

Fried Chicken

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
2nd Jan 2005, 21:56
Lifted from the TAS magazine

Wednesday 28th May 889 movements
942 in a 24 hour period
highest runway use 61 per hour
Ah the memories
There is a very good DVD of the event available from the shop on level 13

Interesting is that the runway occupency
on some days in the summer wasn`t that far off last year just a little short of 800 on a week day ( perhaps someone in ATC can confirm) as for July/Aug 2005 well!

G-I-B

chiglet
2nd Jan 2005, 22:26
GIB,
I was on 2-10 then....same the following day :ok:
watp,iktch

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
3rd Jan 2005, 10:16
Chiglet
Guess you earned your wages those days

Looked very impressive,

Went up to airport to see the biz jets depart after match, with at least 8/9 at holding point, probably we won`t see that again

G-I-B

Ronaldsway Radar
8th Jan 2005, 17:12
Heya,

Get urself's over to the isle of man on a daytrip!
Perfect positions for photos, nice shiny a/c flying in all day, in beautiful scenery.
Also, the terminal building is great for coffee, and plonking yourself down for a couple of hrs while watching the action take place. Nice little spot south-west of the airport for taking pics of departures..fly right over you around 400ft!!!
RR

Tom the Tenor
9th Jan 2005, 14:35
Is spotting still tolerated at Luton? If so, how long from STN to LTN by car?

Much better if there was an EZY LTN-ORK! Hint, hint!

G-ANDY
9th Jan 2005, 14:52
My office!! Top floor, Terminal Building at Gloucestershire Airport. It even used to be a spotters area. Great view of the aerodrome, just a shame we don't get more biz-jets in there.

G-ANDY

southender
1st Feb 2005, 19:37
Although this topic has been quiet for a while, I would like to make my first post to champion my local airport, which should be obvious from my login.

Where else in the UK, or the world, can you see one of the oldest Boeing 707s still in existence, an Avro Vulcan, a Shorts Belfast, Chinese registered Bae 146s, numerous ATPs and always a variety of Boeing 737s and Airbus 320s in exotic colour schemes (or just plain white) with registrations from all over the world.

I doubt if you can get closer to aircraft at any other airport than on Southend's Eastern Perimeter Road. I know it's not always the busiest of places but when things are quiet there's always the continual flow of Heathrow or London City inbounds overhead.

Must be worth a visit for any serious spotter.

Southender

Fried_Chicken
1st Feb 2005, 22:19
How many of those interesting/stored aircraft will still be around after Southend becomes a base for Flybe (as is planned/rumoured) following all the work that is apparently going to be done (improved terminal, new rail station etc etc..)

Fried Chicken

c.r.m what is it
19th Feb 2005, 20:25
Anyone know if spectators are at frankfurt still open? and how much it costs to get on there now?

cheers crm

brockenspectre
19th Feb 2005, 20:35
The external gallery is not open but the indoor viewing gallery is still there - on upper floor, through security scanners, it is free - just follow the signs to McDonalds!! :ok:

Northern Hero
19th Feb 2005, 21:44
As BS says T2 is closed externally but T1 is open as normal. When walking into the check in hall turn left and go up the escalators and turn right. Entry is about 3 euros ? or if you have an airport I.D. it is free :)

hanx
19th Feb 2005, 23:54
but there are far better places at fra than the visitor terraces. the rhein-main-aviation-society describes them on their website:

http://www.rmas.de/Fotopunkte/Fotopunkte.htm

but it's written in german language only.

lonkmu
23rd Feb 2005, 13:16
Anyone seen Airforce One which landed there at 09.45 today?

Drifter A582
28th Feb 2005, 19:30
Hi All

I'm in LAX on the 5th MArch, and I'll be staying at the Hacienda Hotel, on Sepulveda Blvd, I beleive. Have seen some amazing picturees taked from the In & Out Burger Bar on somwhere along Sepulveda I think it is. My question is anyone out there know the Hacienda Hotel, and more specifically how do I best get to the In & out from there

Rgds
Drifter

jc2354
1st Mar 2005, 05:16
Hey Drifter!

Welcome to LAX. It's been a while since I've been there.

The Hacienda is located south of LAX. The In & Out Burger is north of LAX. Both are on Sepulveda. It's too long a distance to walk. There is frequent bus service along Sepulveda, but I'm not certain of the cost. Sorry. The Hacienda use to run a courtesy bus to LAX (don't know if they still do). If they still do, it's not a far walk from Terminal One, perhaps 20-30 minutes. And, you get to walk along Sepulveda and the edge of 24R/L for departures and VERY low arrivals. It's a safe area during the day Don't forget to have a double cheeseburger and a shake for me!

Another area for you to look for, is along the Imperial Highway, about a block from your hotel. Walk that towards the beach, and you'll get some nice views. I'd plan an afternoon at the beach. Some great views of departures from 25R/L.

Have a great time. If I can offer more advice, let me know.

Jack

lead zeppelin
1st Mar 2005, 05:38
mmmmmmmm...........i-n--a-n-d-----o-u-t---b-u-r-g-e-rrrr...................ahhlglhlhllhllhglgl

Drifter A582
1st Mar 2005, 19:34
JC2354

Thanks for the advice mate!, and in fact the following day I'm
passing through Vegas en route Waschington DC. Get in around 11 or so and then fly out of Vegas about 23:00 same night, will be interested to see McCArran, any good spotting places within McCarran (I'll have wife & kids in tow!)

Rgds

QNH1013
2nd Mar 2005, 02:31
Enjoy the Spotting. Wish I could join you.

http://www.in-n-out.com Click 'locations' and find Los Angeles County. There you can scroll down to 'Westchester. Sepulveda Blvd.' for a location map.

jc2354
2nd Mar 2005, 05:07
Drifter,

Within McCarran, there are floor to ceiling windows everywhere, so a good view is almost assurred. For the best view, I strongly suggest you make your way to the main terminal and take the elevator to the top floor of the parking garage. Great/fantastic views of the runways, concourses, landings, takeoffs, etc., plus a wonderful view of the Strip as well. There is a viewing/spotting area on the southeast side of the airport along Sunset Road, but you would need a car to get there.

If you are having a 12 hour layover in Las Vegas, you may want to grab a cab or take the Bell shuttle to the MGM Hotel, not too far from the airport. There are nice sights, shopping, restaurants there, are well as the New York New York (mad roller coaster), the Paris Hotel, and the Bellagio. All a very short walk from the MGM.

Hope this helps, if you need/want more info, post a reply or email me. Have a great trip!

Jack

Drifter A582
6th Mar 2005, 16:22
JC2354

Thanks very much mate, found in & out really easy & got some great shots and video. Have just checked your message and I am on my way to Vegas in about an hour or so

Thanks again

D

jc2354
7th Mar 2005, 04:41
How did the spotting go in Las Vegas?

Mode7
14th Mar 2005, 07:20
Hi, where exactly is Roswell and can one visit the place as 'Joe Public'? Thanks

phoenix son
14th Mar 2005, 07:38
Mode7,

Not sure I understand the question, Roswell is in New Mexico and is on this (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=-11650000.9473039&Y=3900000.40327023&width=500&height=300&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=mercator&db=US&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&scale=2000000&out.x=7&out.y=8) map...

If you mean "can I visit the alleged site of the 1947 UFO crash", then I suspect the answer would be "yes, but all you'll see now is a patch of desert"...

Mode7
14th Mar 2005, 07:43
Roswell Airport ROW/KROW - where they store airliners

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Mar 2005, 07:58
Just don't think about Area 51. An ATC friend of mine visited the area and was given the "heavy boys in dark glasses following in a 4x4 with shaded windows" run around. True!

aviate1138
14th Mar 2005, 07:59
Mode7

The former Walker Air Force Base, also known as Roswell Army Air Field, consists of approximately 5,072 acres. The site is located 8 miles south of Roswell, New Mexico. The site was deactivated on 1 July 1967.

There never was a Flying Saucer/Alien Landing at Roswell, only hysterical no-brainers making it up in the late '70's. Met Balloon used to monitor Russian Nuclear Explosions as part of an experiment called
Project Mogul. Balloon carried Low Pressure Wave detectors.
Read
http://www.af.mil/lib/roswell.html
and realise it actually makes sense, rather than a bunch of journo's/weirdo's making capital out of something that happened decades before - bit like most religions, IMHO.

Aviate 1138 Occam's Razor will prevail.

phoenix son
14th Mar 2005, 08:20
Ah, a spotting question...

In that case, sorry, don't know, although this (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=-11635000.9473039&Y=3920000.40327023&width=500&height=300&gride=-11635464.9473039&gridn=3918474.40327023&srec=0&coordsys=mercator&db=US&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=ROSWELL&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&scale=200000&out.x=8&out.y=9) map seems to show 3 airfields in the area...

I suspect this (http://www.cactuswings.com/) site may be useful though, click on the "stored aircraft" section.

Drifter A582
14th Mar 2005, 11:29
Hi there Jc 2354

Really had only a few hours mate, and went from the MGM right up to Circus Circus and back - very long walk, and the family were starting to get a little over it I think. Great time in Vegas though, crazy town. Had a United (TED) flight overe to DC after that, listening to chnl 9 tell me "Cactus 000" - the call sign cactus is that America West is it??

Rgds

A582

jc2354
14th Mar 2005, 20:14
Indeed a very long walk between the two hotels. I'm surprised you made it with family in tow. At least the weather was cooperative. Try it in July when its 115F!!!

Yes, "Cactus" is the call sign for America West.

Glad you had a good, albeit short, time in Las Vegas.

Jack

Boss Raptor
15th Mar 2005, 17:14
Aka Roswell Industrial Air Center

Went there once to survey some aircraft, flew to Albuquerque (alternatives are Lubbock or El Paso TX, roughly same distance) then 300 mile drive to Roswell - scenario is spectacular but I certainly wouldnt go there on a whim

Avman
15th Mar 2005, 18:45
El Paso is probably the best bet. It's 206 miles from there to Roswell, but about 4.5 hours drive (if you respect all the speed limits).

Selcalweb.co.uk
16th Mar 2005, 13:47
If you're wanted stored airliners I'd suggest paying a visit to Marana and Mojave. You'll think all your Birthday's have come at once !

Trislander
16th Mar 2005, 14:13
Aviate1138,

That's what they want you to think!
The truth is out there...!

:ok:

PaperTiger
16th Mar 2005, 17:01
If you're wanted stored airliners I'd suggest paying a visit to Marana and Mojave. You'll think all your Birthday's have come at once !'Visits' are not allowed at Marana, although you can fly in. No wandering around though. I passed through Mojave a couple of weeks ago and the volume of stored aircraft there has decreased dramatically, down to less than 100, many of which are in the scrapping compound in various stages of discombobulation.

airsmiles
21st Mar 2005, 17:58
I'm visiting the Boeing Everett plant next month and I wondered if anyone could advise what the viewing prospects are at each Boeing facility. To the best of my knowledge they have the following facilities:-

Everett / Paine Field (for manufacturing & initial flight)
Renton (as above)
Boeing Field (flight test centre)

I understand that Moses Lake is used for a lot of test flying as well, but its a general airfield rather than a Boeing one.

If anyone more informed knows better I would be grateful if they could put me in the right.

Many thanks

airsmiles

PaperTiger
21st Mar 2005, 18:26
Boeing runs tours (http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/aboutus/tours/tour2ops.html) of the Everett plant (only). No public access to either Renton or King County(BFI), although you can watch the (limited) action from public areas. You would have to be very lucky indeed to catch anything at all happening at Moses Lake - and it's a long way from Seattle.

hth

CLDriver
21st Mar 2005, 18:31
Airsmiles,

I learned to fly at BFI, taught at BFI, and flew Lears for a number of years there.

I am not sure if you can get tours of RNT or BFI plants, but PAE for sure.

Check out the Museum of Flight at BFI. Not only do they have their own displays, but the keep some of the Smithsonians aircraft as well (although now that the new facility at Dulles is open they may have moved some). The former Air Force 1 that carried Kennedy's body back to DC is dsiplayed outside.

Also the MoF has it's restoration facility at PAE which I went through about 5 years ago. At the time they were restoring a DH Comet, and the first F-8 Crusader (one of the test jets).

Take an intro flight at one of the local flying clubs. One of my pals is a traffic watch guy that does part time instruction, if you want I can hook you two up and you can get a little stick time and see the sights. It ain't cheap, but I know that flying in the UK is much more expensive than the US.

Lemme know

CLDriver

Rollingthunder
22nd Mar 2005, 05:20
I did a tour of the Renton facility a few years back as a member of our 744 implementation team. I had the impression a modified tour was available to the public on a reserved basis. They even have a gift shop.

Cyclic Hotline
22nd Mar 2005, 06:17
Rather than paste a ton of links, check this site out. (http://www.aerofiles.com/museums.html)

Amongst my recommendations are;

Flying Heritage Collection (advance notice required).

Boeing Museum of Flight - in addition to the main BFI facility, check the web-site for details of the Everett restoration centre - definitely worth the visit.

Olympic Flight Museum.

Evergreen Air Museum - McMinnville, Oregon. Check out the Spruce Goose.

Tillamook Air Museum - Oregon.

There are a couple of smaller museums and collections, plus any number of warbirds knocking around the area. All the above are easy driving in the area.

The Boeing facilities elsewhere in the Puget Sound area, are pretty quiet these days. Renton is like a ghost town, and BFI is a fraction of what it used to be.

perky35
25th Mar 2005, 12:57
Hello!

I want this to be for people to post things about actual viewing locations at airports worldwide, so that people can ask about where to view at certain airports.

I am flying to Dusseldorf on Tuesday 29th March, and would like to know what time the viewing deck there closes?

Thanks.

regards, Graham

BOAC
26th Mar 2005, 07:53
Morning perky. I was just thinking about merging all the 'where to spot' posts into one on this forum this last week. I'll have a look when I get time.

Photo
26th Mar 2005, 08:47
From

http://www.duesseldorf-international.de

Observation Deck opening times
Summer (30.3. bis 25.10.): daily from 06:00 to 21:00 hours
Winter (26.10. bis 29.3.): daily from 09:00 to 20:00 hours

Steve

Hen Ddraig
26th Mar 2005, 09:48
CH missed a couple of good museums
Pearson Field in Vancouver, Washington great little museum very well presented.
Langley, British Columbia at the airport, only just over the border from the states, has a Hampden sitting outside.

Time to spare, go by air.

Hen Ddraig

airsmiles
26th Mar 2005, 19:45
Thanks for all of the info. I'm sure I'll get a lot out of my few days there.

airsmiles

Selcalweb.co.uk
27th Mar 2005, 16:45
You may wish to check out this (http://microvoltradio.com/kbfi14.htm) site for happenings at BFI in particular. As you can see, excellent shots can easily be had at BFI and also RNT, but PAE is much more difficult.

perky35
28th Mar 2005, 15:03
Hello, thanks for the DUS info, most appreciated. looks like i struck lucky with the date, summer opening times starting the day i get there!

Anyway, this weeks task, i am a big Elvis fan and would like to go Memphis, but from what iv heard you cant go direct from England! is this true?

What is the best way to get to Memphis? which airlines and which airports?
cheers,
Graham

PPRuNe Pop
28th Mar 2005, 17:22
I see that you started a post about Memphis (spotted by BOAC) and then another about DUS. THEN..................you ask the same question in exactly the same terms in this thread. Your first thread has now gone as a result.

I get the impression that you like asking questions.That is good but do not get carried away - please.

HZMIS
29th Mar 2005, 17:32
does anyone know where they can spot at London Stansted, without being bothered and in walking distance of the terminal as I am going there on thursday.

Avman
29th Mar 2005, 18:50
If memory serves me right, outside the terminal at either end you will have views - sufficient for spotting. Not really good if you're into photography though. As for being "bothered", I don't know. They might do an I/D check on you but as there are normally loads of pax about taking air (or smoking), I don't think you'll get bothered.

WHBM
30th Mar 2005, 15:38
Probably the best indication of the financial health of Boeing is as you drive on Interstate-5 south from downtown Seattle (towards Sea-Tac international airport), it passes along a hillside from which you see the complete flightline at Boeing Field of what's going to be delivered this month. Some years ago it used to be packed from end to end, and a splendid sight. Nowadays not quite the same, unfortunately.

Do go to the Museum of Flight.

aaaaa
30th Mar 2005, 19:21
I have about four hours to kill at Gatwick tomorrow. I understand the viewing gallery is closed. Has anyone any idea if there is anywhere else in either terminal which provides views over the airport?

aa

av8boy
31st Mar 2005, 21:43
Although it’s not a place I would recommend anyone go for the purpose of spotting, should one find oneself with time to burn at the Portland, Oregon (US) airport (KPDX) all is not lost.

Cross from the main terminal building to the parking structure and go all the way to the top. It tends to be very quiet up there and there’s an excellent view of the 28s (you’re right between them) and the Columbia River. The parking structure is immediately west of the tower (black square between the parallel runways in the diagram).
http://66.226.83.248/ad/FAA/00330AD.gif
Link to full-res airport diagram image here (http://www.naco.faa.gov/content/naco/online/airportdiagrams/00330AD.PDF)

http://66.226.83.248/ap/02988

It’s not especially close to the runways, and with lots of Alaska/Horizon/SouthWest Airlines traffic there’s not tremendous variety, but hey, it beats sitting in the terminal. There are some F15s and (I believe) C130s based there as well, so there’s that I suppose…

If you’ve got a way to get off the airport proper, there’s another spot on Marine Drive (which runs right between 28R and the Columbia River) that looks like it would be delightful for spotting. IIRC it’s about halfway down 28R.

Dave

paulc
1st Apr 2005, 05:56
If you do not mind paying a £5 for the museum entrance then the picnic area there offers very good views of rw 26 hold.

EDIT: I guess this is LGW? In a multi-airport thread it will help those less familiar if the location can be stated.

No - its Hurn or Bournemouth International not LGW

mikedurward
7th Apr 2005, 20:37
Can anyone recommend any spotting places at Glasgow?

mallardpi
9th Apr 2005, 16:51
If you want loads of old airliners, B707s, DC-8s, Russian stuff up the ying-ynag go to....Sharjah in the UAE. Stacks and stacks of old aircraft. Also, saw 2 ex-Caledonian Tristars at Ras AL Khaimah recently.

DarkStar
10th Apr 2005, 10:44
Hi, I'm hoping to spot at Madrid soon. Where is the best for just spotting, I'm not too worried about photo's? Any help appreciated.

paulc
15th Apr 2005, 14:08
Darkstar,

am off to Madrid in 3 weeks - Am reliably informed that there is an area in terminal 2 which has seats etc that overlooks part of the apron and runways. Have got a couple of possible photo locations as well to try.

xdc9er
15th Apr 2005, 14:44
You spot a spotting spot by spotting the spotters at the spotting spot, haha
could'nt help my self
X

Lightchop
25th Apr 2005, 14:41
Hey, bet yer all jealous of Eugene...

http://www.pickabook.com/covers/update04/04/0474abaa.JPG

1970s Spotter
8th May 2005, 10:46
Can anyone help? I am going to be at MIA for a few hours this afternoon and Monady a.m., but without own transport. Are there any reasonable spotting/photography areas in the airport any more?
I don't really want to get a taxi out to the R/W ends in case I get stranded!

Thanks!

The Greaser
8th May 2005, 12:20
There always used to be a lovely rooftop observation area reached through the main terminal, not sure it is still open though.

PaperTiger
8th May 2005, 16:19
The rooftop is the in-terminal hotel pool and exercise area and I believe it is now restricted to residents only. There is a public restaurant on the level below but I doubt they would take kindly to the use of spotting accoutrements.

And if you take a cab to the airport perimeter you're more likely to be arrested than stranded :(

IanH
8th May 2005, 19:16
There is an area or two that you get left alone at, one is round by the US Customs building not far away from cargo city, it even has photo lens holes cut into the fence. Perhaps someone local can assist with road names etc ?

The best airport in that area for viewing is Ft Lauderdale International which has two viewing areas, one on top of the Hibiscus Car Park and the other being a car park the I95 end of the airport.

1970s Spotter
8th May 2005, 19:19
:( Thanks folks!
Went walk about and found everyone in the arae that used to be called Cockroach Corner very unfriendly. Will try the terminal tomorrow. Opa Locka was great though...but I was with airport regulars so doors were opened.

Callsign Kilo
29th May 2005, 14:52
I have a few hours to kill before catching my flight home on Tuesday after my medical at the CAA. Anywhere in the airport that is good for watching the movements?

Thanks

jb5000
29th May 2005, 15:02
Hi,

I think there is actually a dedicated place inside the airport where you can go outside onto a balcony area and watch. If I remember correctly you have to pay though.

Alternatively the perimeter road between the terminal and the CAA building runs virtually right by the end of the runway, great to see 747s landing over your head!

Enjoy,

James

PaperTiger
30th May 2005, 21:10
I think there is actually a dedicated place inside the airport where you can go outside onto a balcony area and watch. If I remember correctly you have to pay though.

Closed permanently due to (yet more) terminal expansion.

Howard Hughes
7th Jun 2005, 01:53
It's damn sad, all outdoor spotting area's at Australian airports have been closed for about 2 years, what a sad day. Good to see that people in other places are still able to enjoy the thrill of watching aircraft go about their business!!;)

Cheers, HH.

farm tractor
12th Jun 2005, 13:18
Does anyone know of any good (legal) low approach spotting spots in Perth Western Australia? Rottnest Island airstrip is ok for seeing planes come in over the fence, but a bit far away...

Thanks Chaps!

farm tractor
15th Jun 2005, 13:28
Hello chaps, just wanting to know if anyone knows of any good legal spots here in WA?

Tally Ho!

Avman
20th Jun 2005, 09:38
Just going through the last pages or so, I note that much of the information given is very much out of date. Whilst you may want to help a poster asking for spotting location info, may I respectfully suggest that only people with recent experience post. Spectator facilities come and go (mainly go) quite quickly these days. I also note that some of the really good unofficial (but accepted by the authorities) spots are rarely mentioned. I enjoy taking photographs and on a recent trip to YUL I asked for photo spots info. I got quite a few good and lousy suggestions. Hunting around when I got there I found a great spot, quite obviously used by the locals, which hadn't been mentioned at all by anyone anywhere! Keeping it for themselves perhaps?

Rob Jones
3rd Jul 2005, 09:34
Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Does anybody know the best spot to get pictures is at Cardiff Airport (Wales, EGFF)?

Cheers in Advance,

Rob

DarkStar
5th Jul 2005, 04:59
I'm off to JFK soon...has anyone got any good suggestions for spotting areas?? Any hotels within or close to the Ramp/Runway areas??

Grateful for any help, ta...

r3500vdp
24th Aug 2005, 14:50
Will be in Philadelphia and hoping to get good shots of the UPS and ATI DC8's but unsure where they park. I have searched the internet and it seems spotting at Philadelphia is very difficult and security is rather rude and inconsistent. Any help is much appreciated.

Edit:: Speaking ever so quietly - moved for you - shhh....................

night hawk 150
25th Oct 2005, 19:48
hello

can anyone tell me of some good viewing locations for London City Airport please, i was thinking of taking a short trip to down to do a little bit of spotting.

thanks in advace

Craig

Skipness One Echo
29th Oct 2005, 11:32
Outside the terminal you have a few of the runway and a Do328 is a full frame 300mm shot. If you go the other way and walk towards the JetCentre you can see all the biz jets and walk around to the other side of the dock where you can see everything, the only snag being you are into the sun.
Beware of the armed airport Police, they are very bored and like to stop and lecture you if you hang about outside the terminal - even though it is very obvious you are a spotter. I got stopped and lectured twice in a week. I must have one of those faces. There's no bother on the other side of the quay though. Easy to get to, use the DLR to Albert Dock snd you get a panoramic view of the runway and apron.

night hawk 150
29th Oct 2005, 11:53
hi and a very big thank you for your post about LCY i can't understand how so many people looked at the post but did not post a reply.

however you have been kind enough to post your own and am very thank full for this the information is good.

thank you for your time

Craig:ok:

Sharjah Night Shift
29th Oct 2005, 14:09
Back in September I used both places mentioned by Skipness One Echo for photography. No hassle from the plod bit I wold have liked to ask them if their armoured land Rover had an MOT.

DLR station the other side of the dock is Royal Albert and if you are a photographer and they are landing on 28 walk to the far end of the car park where you can get some good touchdown shots.

PM me if you want to see some photos taken from the various locations.

Kestrel_909
29th Oct 2005, 21:11
I have a few hours to pass in Bristol airport next week. Any suggestions?

If the wx is half decent I wouldn't mind a walk around outside but if it's p1ss poor, then a soft seat near a window will help pass the time.

Thanks

Skipness One Echo
31st Oct 2005, 09:02
Can see the apron from the restaurant but you are looking through the departure lounge below you so you are 30 ft from another glass window to the outside. You can see most movements from there. There are spots on both ends of the runway you can sit but they require a walk or a car I'm afraid.

aaaaa
15th Nov 2005, 06:49
I have to spend all morning at LGW tomorrow. I assume that within the two terminals, no one has yet managed to find a good place to sit and watch the outside world ever since the last spotting area was closed down. Any ideas?

aa

Skipness One Echo
15th Nov 2005, 10:08
Only place near the Terminals is the 26L undershoot. Fine on a sunny day, landing 777 is a 135 if that, easy to read off all departures. Police know what you're doing so are tolerant, happy to have someone on the lookout as the posters on the fence will testify to. Good thinking that!
(exit via the stairs at the south end of the South Terminal, turn right past the barrier and follow the noise.)
Good luck!

JY-ABH
4th Dec 2005, 08:43
Hi.

I'm going to Dublin soon and was hoping someone on here might have some insight into the best spotting spots at Dublin Airport?

As the weather is pretty grim there in december,is there a deck,or perhaps a restaurant with a decent view landside?

If not,what are the perimeter spots like,and how does one get there as a tourist?

Thanks all!

banana head
7th Dec 2005, 23:03
I'm afraid there has not been an official spectators area at Dub for years..

There are however a number of spots around the perimeter road where some dodgy types seem to hang out with airband radios and other spotter accoutrements, dependant on the runway in use.
Drive out of the airport and do a lap of the road and you'll find 'em.
Just don't be another idiot and stop alongside the ' NO STOPPING' signs at the threshold of 16. It’s a dangerous corner, and I've nearly mowed down a few spotter types in the past (accidentally of course!)

Just be sure to bring your hat, gloves and a raincoat - not that it's cold you understand - but you do have an image to keep up! :D

TwoDots
8th Dec 2005, 11:04
Hi All,

Dropping someone off at LGW on Sunday ... and wondering if there is still a spectators area ?

Or has security gone mad now forced it to close ?

I seem to remember a roof top and a Herald many moons ago ...

Thanks in advance

Avman
8th Dec 2005, 15:56
There's no spectators terrace at LGW anymore. In fact, there are no facilities whatsoever! What do you expect when the BAA is run by people who have no passion for aviation :mad:

261A
8th Dec 2005, 16:10
I know several areas for spotting at Gatwick one of them being at the 26L holding point.

PM if you want my secret location not prepared to tell publicly as it is a really nice area of countryside.
;) :ok:

Avman
8th Dec 2005, 19:01
I think TwoDots was looking for something official within the terminal complex. As for all airports, there are of course plenty of unofficial places all around the airport, depending on what exactly you want to see and from how far.

madbadrob
15th Dec 2005, 23:23
Hi all,

Does anyone have an idea of where the best place to stop in a car is to get some good views of Arriving and departing Aircraft. My two usual locations are just off the M11 on a grass verge but the cops move you on from there and the second is in Birchanger services but looking upwards with a big grin and scanner on gets some funny looks. Would appreciate directions as if one was travelling North on M11 that is from M25 to A1

Thanks

Rob

Curious Pax
16th Dec 2005, 07:20
Head towards the old terminal (think it's signposted the Executive Terminal nowadays); drive past the entrance road, and keep going until you end up on the opposite side of the runway to the terminal. There is a long straight bit where you can park, and walk a couple of yards through the trees up to the fence. As far as I am aware the local constabulary have no problem with this location.

Limited viwes to the terminal, but you get a good view of everything on the runway.

r3500vdp
17th Dec 2005, 20:09
Well Toronto is joining in the North American security paranoia :mad: At the popular Fedex Hill spot, no stopping signs have gone up and police is chasing people away daily. So much for this being a really nice family outing during the summer months. So glad the airport is again a notch more secure ;) At the same time of course, nobody stops me from driving right into the infield cargo area, which would seem a tad more risky.

madbadrob
18th Dec 2005, 01:59
Thanks Curious much appreciated

Rob

madbadrob
18th Dec 2005, 23:41
Well got to Stanstead today and found the location. For anyone else going head to the north terminal, follow signs for Hilton Hotel. Keep going straight, through the village of Burton (think thats its name) about a mile further up the verge on the left becomes rather large. Pull over there and walk through the edge. If you get to the crash gate on a 90 degree bend you have gone to far.

After speaking to the FEDEX security it would seem in summer this whole area is used by families to watch the planes and have a pic nic. As curious says its rubbish for the terminal but for the landings and take off's its second to none. To watch a 757 take off as a 737 landed behind it was great and something I don't get to see at my local airfield which is why on New Years Day I am going back :)

Rob

Full Emergency
2nd Jan 2006, 21:45
Edinburgh is not bad for spotting, with good views from several off-terminal sites (the viewing gallery closed years ago) but the problem is in the variety of aircraft. Mostly Easyjet, BMI, BA, FlyBe and very rarely anything bigger than a 767.

http://www.pbase.com/glenns/image/38021705.jpg

I flew into EDI the other week and Continental now have a weekly Saturday flight to the US I believe.

<----- Is NOT a spotter!!

FE

Gulf4uk
4th Jan 2006, 10:08
Cannot Add to best Airports for Spotters but 1 of worst in my opinion

farnborough - very limited views around perimeter none ramp side
and unfriendly Security . local police like handing out pieces of paper
if they see you near perimeter. expect to get stopped Often

Tony

BOAC
7th Jan 2006, 17:46
My apologies to all - I was trying to merge some posts from this thread with the spotting one below and seem to have 'merged' the actual posts in themselves here! Hope you can make head or tail of it all.

I am a slow learner:mad:

EDIT: I have now managed to split/merge the relevant threads into this thread. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204572)

night hawk 150
19th Jan 2006, 18:49
Hi can anyone tell me of some good spotting sites for newcastle airport please without driving maybe a short walk or something.

thanks
craig

Snape
28th Jan 2006, 09:30
Need info on excellent spotting positions near HNL.

wub
28th Jan 2006, 14:27
Full Emergency,

Continental have a daily flight from EDI to Newark in winter and two in summer. Next year Delta are starting a daily service from EDI to Atlanta.

spernkey
30th Jan 2006, 19:27
looking to call into Exeter whilst on hols in a few weeks - is there a spotter with airband who can advise.

EGTE
30th Jan 2006, 21:38
Look at http://www.fly.to/exeter for info. :ok:

rufus.t.firefly
4th Feb 2006, 09:47
Is it possible to get onto the spectator terraces at Amsterdam if you are a
passenger in "transit" ? I have 4 hours to wait for a connection.

Anybody out there actually done a similar thing ?

Curious Pax
4th Feb 2006, 16:43
You have to come landside at Schiphol to access the viewing terrace, but you have the choice of doing that or wandering the piers airside (apart from 'H' I believe) so you can see much the same and possibly better, although photos are hampered by window blinds.

Danmadole
12th Feb 2006, 11:12
Hello,

Might get the chance to watch a few of the early morning departures at Templehof next week.
I'm staying in the city centre and relying on public transport. Are there any views from the terminal or either side of complex?
Directions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Gary M

J32/41
18th Feb 2006, 15:31
Just wondered if there is anywhere at Gatwick for spotting, can you get on the roof anywhere?

Also what is the best time of the day for movements?

Thanks

airmail 1
20th Feb 2006, 16:13
hi all ,have a few hours to kill at luton soon,is there a inside spectaters area there?i know the old place went to ezy land.thank,s..........

Devant
20th Feb 2006, 18:46
The facilities at Luton are non existant for spectators. If you are flying out of the airport, then there is a nice bit in the new terminal where you can look accross the east apron. There is an emergency road to the south of the runway near the threshold of 08, that i go to fairly often, that is a good place to go.

LTNman
21st Feb 2006, 07:03
Many people stand either side of the bridge which will give you views like this http://doug3658.fotopic.net/p25350741.html

Mogget
27th Feb 2006, 14:29
Hi, guys. My name is Christopher Low, and I have just joined these forums.

I like filming airliner landings and take-offs at airports, and I was wondering if anyone knew of good places to do this at various airports in Britain ?

I am familiar with Manchester (an awesome place), and I have also filmed at Edinburgh. However, I want to expand my range ! Bearing that in mind, I have been rather interested with some of the posts on this thread regarding airports that I had assumed were completely "off limits" as far as spotting is concerned. In particular, that post about a location at London Stansted really intrigued me. Is this somewhere that I could film landings and take-offs ? It is worth noting that I would need to be above any security fences for filming to be a worthwhile proposition.

Anyway, airports that I am interested in are as follows:-

London Stansted
London Luton
Leeds-Bradford
Robin Hood Finningley
Liverpool
Glasgow
Prestwick
Newcastle
Nottingham East Midlands
Cardiff

My preferred location is halfway down the active runway, but a quarter of the way (from either end) is acceptable.

Sorry about the long list, but you guys have just renewed my enthusiasm !

arem
27th Feb 2006, 14:34
Interesting snippet in the Air-Britain 'News' referring to a decree banning photography at CDG and to be extended to all French airports - anybody got any further info on this?

Are the froggies getting even more paranoic?

ALLDAYDELI
27th Feb 2006, 15:07
From a similar discussion on airliners.net :

There is a new French law number 05-4979 relating specifically to Charles de Gaulle airport: the law prohibits photographs being taken for private use of anything moving (e.g. airplanes) or not moving (e.g. buildings) within the "zone reservée" - the restricted area - from the "zone publique" - the public area. It is not clear whether the public area refers to all areas from which the airport is visible, or only to areas within the grounds of the airport. The law is much to the consternation of plane spotters. [7]

Looks like thats that at CDG then!

BigBoeing
4th Mar 2006, 09:11
Hey, I gotta go to Heathrow next week and will have a few hours to spare. Is there anywhere that you can get a good look at the a/c and airport, I've never been before so any help appreciated. Cheers

Mogget
5th Mar 2006, 09:58
A site devoted mainly to photos of bizjets at Luton includes a map that shows where the photographer was located when taking most of his pictures. This is apparently near a crash gate on Dane Street (south east section of the airport). Is anyone familiar with this location at Luton ? Is there a clear view of the runway, or does it have one of those annoying chain link fences obscuring the view ?

I would like to be able to film take-offs and landings at Luton, but I need a clear view to do this !

Avman
7th Mar 2006, 12:08
The LTN spot south of the runway is very nice. It can get busy though. A small set of steps will give you a fence-free view. But, I wonder how long this will continue? I do hope, with the frequent security checks they make, that the authorities will continue to tolerate this spot in the interest of the enthusiasts.

Mogget
8th Mar 2006, 08:39
Filming from a set of steps would be impossible. Is there no mound, or section of higher ground that allows a clear view over the fence ?

nosefirsteverytime
9th Mar 2006, 18:32
For anyone interested, Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnell, Dublin.

Start at the Red Cow roundabout on the M50. Go on the road to Kildare, and you'll pass a set of traffic lights with a big Bewley's hotel overlooking it. Keep going, and take the exit that will put you onto the second roadbridge (road goes over you) after the traffic lights. The exit is just after the bridge itself, and exits to Citywest Ind. estate. Across the road (on the inbound to dublin side) there's a Statoil garage, and a resteraunt with a big car park. If you walk onto the top of the bridge (the higher side), look back to the right of the Statoil station, you get an uninterrupted view of the ramp. You'll need good binoculars though.

Good for seeing Irish Air Corps aircraft, and if you're lucky maybe a visitor. Not much activity volume though, as you'd expect. Very noisy with the traffic as well. The road into Newcastle village is good as well. Not much to see, unless you hear of something exotic coming in.

Gulf4uk
9th Mar 2006, 18:39
HI

As long as the resturant has a licience where they serve cold Guinness
it would be fine am sure the movements pick up after a good few of those
two movements at a time i expect

Tony

airmail 1
13th Mar 2006, 14:05
hi all,what happen to the roof top spec area?was at southampton yest and saw it was all gone .any other area,s around the airport to see aircraft there?thank,s..........:

AeroSpark
13th Mar 2006, 14:47
Not sure why it was shut. Shame as it was a lovely little viewing area. There aren't really any other 'official' viewing areas now. Top of the car park is probably best for views but expect to get moved on. Other than that if your driving leave your car in Parkway station and walk up the road towards the long stay car park, although this is only really useful if 20 is active.

Wycombe
13th Mar 2006, 22:05
The indoor viewing area at SOU (used to be upstairs, above check-in) was lost last year as part of an expansion of the departure lounge.

night hawk 150
14th Mar 2006, 21:26
Hi All

Can anyone tell me of any good spotting sites at Norwich Airport please.

craig

ShedsRus
23rd Mar 2006, 23:10
anyone know what the spotting's like at warsaw okecie airport? is there a deck? thanks:ok:

Was over there last year and yes there is a open observation deck across the front of the old terminal available for a few polish washers(zylotzs or whatever the currencys called). Keep a look out to the right as Polish airforce YAKs and choppers wander out infrequently. Look out for the entrance - it's a small doorway in a wall between the old terminal and that awful shed of a terminal on the end used by WizzAir. Was when I was there any way. Nice cafe just round the corner though
Hope that helps

Capt. J. Upgrade
24th Mar 2006, 18:04
Sorry to ask such a silly question. I am unfamiliar with Bristol Airport and i'm on a familiarisation to the airport on 31st March. Does anyone have any suggestions for a place to park the camera for a bit?? :O

anoraknophobia
24th Mar 2006, 19:43
Don't know which direction your coming from,but from the A38 driving from Bristol immediately before the airport there is a turn right into a road called Downside road . The turn is right by a pub.Continue down Downside rd and turn left into Cook Bridle Path,follow the road up and around the taxiway perimiter until you end up on a fairly straight bit of road with the runway on your left. You can park up right against the fence. :)

Jinkster
20th Apr 2006, 22:25
One of the best places I've been to Moscow Sheremetyvo Airport - just for the variety of the aircraft compared to the UK.

Not sure about spotting locations.
:)

Magoodotcom
21st Apr 2006, 21:45
Hey guys

Just looking for some advice as to the best spotting spots at Toulouse. I'm going to be there next month and will have some spare time to go fill some flash cards!

Cheers

Magoo :ok:

CSilvera
1st May 2006, 02:39
Monterey airport in Monterey, CA (MRY) is pretty good. There's a balcony on top of the terminal. It's sometimes hard to see the little planes actually land or take off as they usually do it at the other end of the runway.

night hawk 150
4th May 2006, 07:54
Hello Everyone

I was thinking this morning how many new spotters cant find information on how to spot the difference between aircrafts and other general spotting tips.

I thought we could make this a little sticky for a while and get some of the most experienced spotters to give us all a little advice and tips on radio freq, best spotting sites & top 5 spotter sites.

So come on guys/Girls lets help others to enjoy a the great views and delights.

Craig.:ok:

My Top 5 Spotting Sites.

1. Manchester (FLYING UP WITH FLYBE ON 25TH MAY FROM NWI)
2. Amsterdam
3. Newcastle
4. Gatwick
5. Heathrow (GOING DOWN ON 18TH FOR THE A380)

Gulf4uk
4th May 2006, 21:21
hi

Think all this been done before but Radio well thats a touchy subject on here
best left to spotters Groups so to that Aim I Suggest

1 go to yahoo groups or google

2 sign up

3 enter the name of your local airfield or where your interest is
and see that Groups are Available and Subscribe .

4 they will be able to assist with all your Questions on Spotting

5 or for ALL Spotting Questions USE GOOGLE type in what you want
and Hey presto 99percent of time you get the answer

6 enjoy this HOBBY to spotters thats what it is DONT LOOSE
SIGHT OF THAT and like many others take to seriously

tony
farnborough

devonlad
16th May 2006, 16:46
Robin Hood/ Doncaster has some very good places for photos but some times flights are slow Friday morning between 900-1030 is very good

Pilotdom
2nd Jun 2006, 17:03
Anybody been to doncaster lately? What im am wanting to know is have they opend the shopping area upstairs yet and is there a cafe area etc where you can see the runway for aircraft departures and arrivals which is not airside? Have some family flying from there on sunday and want to watch them depart and arrive.

Cheers
dOM

Dylan35
7th Jun 2006, 15:32
Top 5 for spotting

1. Paris CDG (new rules on photos, be careful)
2. Munich (hill outside between runways)
3. Frankfurt (always top dollar)
4. Rome (always ask first)
5. La Gaurdia (NY) - 600 numbers in 2 days!!!!!!!!

Worst 5 for spotting

1. LGW
2. Verona (Got colour felt by carabenieri even though I asked first!)
3. Naples (great numbers...same problem)
4. Bristol (nothing there)
5. LHR (nothing there thats worth seeing)

MidlandDan
13th Jun 2006, 11:04
Hello all,

I have quite a few hours free tomorrow in Manchester so im going to have a few hours spotting, havent been to EGCC for quite sometime.
I know the viewing park is good and the area off to the side of 06R, but are there any other good areas??

Also does anybody know of any interesting aircraft that come in on a wednesday??

Any help appreciated

Brandten
7th Jul 2006, 17:08
Hi

Currently living in Johannesburg, and want to get out there on some planespotting tomorrow. Anyone know if there is a nice place to stand to see the big birds landing?
I have a car so can go wherever around the airport.

Perhaps anyone else on this forum is going this weekend?

EI896
26th Jul 2006, 08:33
If you look at EICK Cork Airport in Ireland, you should see the ammount of spotting points anyone going there would have a great time for spotting there are numerous spotting p[oints arround the asirport perimeter and on the multi-storey car cark roof this airport would receive 10/10 from me anyday.

Jamie-Southend
12th Aug 2006, 16:06
Despite Stapleford being 1/2 an hour from me i have not been since the late 70`s! Does anyone know what access is like for someone with a camera in tow?

Just wondered if it was possible to have a wander round is the airfield anti-anarak :)

rossym
25th Aug 2006, 17:19
Hi, does anybody know of any good places to take photos of planes at Cardiff Airport?

Thanks in advance. :)

colmac747
25th Aug 2006, 20:52
Anyone know of a spotters dream near or over-looking GLA airport?

PPRuNe Radar
25th Aug 2006, 22:01
Colmac

Sniff around http://www.taxiwayalpha.com :ok:

madbadrob
26th Aug 2006, 06:35
Hello all,

I have quite a few hours free tomorrow in Manchester so im going to have a few hours spotting, havent been to EGCC for quite sometime.
I know the viewing park is good and the area off to the side of 06R, but are there any other good areas??

Also does anybody know of any interesting aircraft that come in on a wednesday??

Any help appreciated

Dan try the pub at the end of the Runway. I think its 23 right but I may be wrong. Not been yet myself but know plenty who have. The pub serve meals and coffee etc as well as beer which in my book is an essential when out spotting :)
Rob

madbadrob
26th Aug 2006, 06:38
Anybody been to doncaster lately? What im am wanting to know is have they opend the shopping area upstairs yet and is there a cafe area etc where you can see the runway for aircraft departures and arrivals which is not airside? Have some family flying from there on sunday and want to watch them depart and arrive.

Cheers
dOM
Dom,

Very late and I appologise. Yes the cafe area is open upstairs as is the bar. You can see the apron from this area also. For viewing away from this point you have a road at the opposite side of the runway. Easiest way to get to it is to leave the airport and turn right at the lights. Turn left at the roundabout and drive for about a mile. Turn right at the next set of lights and then drive for approx 2.5 miles when you reach the next roundabout turn right. Follow this road for about 2.5 miles and after you make a tight left hand bend there is a road about 100 yards on the left. Turn down this and keep driving till you can go no further. We have nicknamed this spotters lane

Rob

colmac747
26th Aug 2006, 10:15
Colmac
Sniff around http://www.taxiwayalpha.com :ok:

Will do. Thanks for that:ok:

PMN
10th Sep 2006, 09:27
Leeds Bradford airport is my local airport and it certainly aint bad at all for spotting from. Like EDI though the biggest your really going to get (unless you land very lucky) is a 767.
LBA local here as well... There are some superb opportunities for photography here, although the traffic doesn't tend to be all that varied.
MAN is definitely the top of my list. The south side is just unbelievable for photography (as is the AVP depending on the time of day). Not to mention a certain drinking establishment sat right at the end of 24R... :ok:
Paul

Jamie-Southend
10th Sep 2006, 10:18
I`m not really a Military Person, but i drove past RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk yesterday, and was amazed to find an official "Viewing Place" right next to the main runway threshold, with what must be a fantastic view for landings and take off`s. Totally deserted yesterday, which i presume was because of the weekend.

There are even vehicle parking spaces, and it`s all official:}

rufus.t.firefly
10th Sep 2006, 15:54
Hi , any update on the opportunities for plane spotting around the perimeter , especially to photograph aircraft.

Used to be an excellent spot on Tradeport Drive until the security people
got paranoid about people watching planes.

Any info greatly appreciated , off to the sunshine state soon.

Whats it like at Orlando Exec during NBAA week , anybody been round the
perimeter during this event ????

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

leedsgirl
13th Sep 2006, 08:45
Hi
Yesterday i went to the Manchester Airport viewing park and i heard 2 guys talking and they were saying that the viewing park only has another 5 years lease and then they will shut it down.Apparently they are going to build a new low-cost terminal in its place.
There will be a new viewing area built but it will be at the other side of the runway and it will be very difficult to see anything that turns off early or if they change runways.
Anyway has anyone else heard anything?

LN-KGL
13th Sep 2006, 22:00
leedsgirl, a MAN "Draft Master Plan to 2030" was publish earlier this year. One part of the master plan is the "Draft Land Use Plan", and on page 23 of this plan you can read the following:

SPECTATOR FACILITIES
There remains a continuing demand for facilities to accommodate visitors and spectators who are attracted to the Airport site. The Airport is a significant visitor attraction and viewing facilities are provided within the Terminal 1 complex and at the Aviation Viewing Park that is located off Old Wilmslow Road, to the south of Cloughbank Farm. Providing viewing facilities helps remove pressure on the central terminal complex and from the local road network.

The Aviation Viewing Park has, in recent years, been developed to provide a wider range of attractions for the Airport’s visitors and spectators. These include several static aircraft exhibits, the highlight of which is one of British Airways’ Concorde aircraft. It is proposed to further develop the Viewing Park’s facilities. This will include the development of a purpose-built hangar for Concorde and upgraded spectator facilities.

The existing Aviation Viewing Park will be affected by apron development to the west of the aircraft maintenance village described earlier. Planning permission has been granted for the development of an aircraft viewing facility to the south of Runway 24L-06R adjacent to the South Fire Station. This site is smaller than the present temporary location and a detailed evaluation will be undertaken to consider how best to provide replacement facilities.

SPECTATOR FACILITIES POLICY
AS8 Detailed feasibility studies will be undertaken into the relocation of the Aviation Viewing Park to a location on the South Side of the Airport.

AS9 A hangar to house Concorde will be provided.
All strategy documents can be downloaded from this link
http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/web.nsf/Content/StrategyDocumentsLiterature

The Draft Master Plan is currently out on hearing and the consultation ends on 29 September 2006. The final version of the Manchester Airport Master Plan will come out later this year.

Kurt

redfield
26th Sep 2006, 18:25
I'll be in Beijing this month: does anyone know of any decent places to watch the a/c at Beijing airport? Any suggestions much appreciated!

paulc
27th Sep 2006, 15:00
PEK has 2 runways and it is possible to get close to the action. From the terminal building there is a spot about 15 mins walk away which is pretty good. Follow pavement in front of terminal, down ramp, keep right and there is a big access gate on to ramp, walk past this on pavement, you will go under taxi way close to a 2 lane m-way. You need to cross this so be careful esp at dusk when driving with lights seem optional. After crossing there is a road that runs parallel to run way with the old fire station on it, keep walk until to get to corner and that I found was a pretty good spot to watch much of the activity.

hope this helps

ps - recommend a visit to Datanshan museum - I have put pics on museums thread to show some of the exhibits.

VFR Transit
27th Sep 2006, 17:38
I was just wondering if anyone on the spotter corner can tell me what so of spotting can be found at IBIZA (IBZ). I will be staying at:-

Orquidea Aparthotel
in Santa Eulalia
Ibiza

And would like to know if i will see any aircraft on approach or departing?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
VFR

CVTDog
27th Sep 2006, 21:49
Sorry - You are miles from the airport. Its nowhere near the inbound or outbound flightpaths.

If you are choosing a resort in Ibiza to get a good look at the planes you need to stay in Playa D'en Bossa !

The aptly named "Jet 1 & 2" Apartments are handy positions - for obvious reasons !

If you want to spot aircraft from the comfort of a top hotel, I recommend the Beatriz Playa in Matagorda Lanzarote. Which is less than 1K from the (thankfully inbound therefore quiet) flightpath.

ACE is probably the best holiday / spotters airport that I have seen. :ok:

Even 747 classic on a Wednesday from Argentina !. I have no idea how they stop the bloody thing in time on that runway ! You wanna be on the path at the end of the runway when that one comes in 200ft above your head :eek:

VFR Transit
27th Sep 2006, 21:54
Thanks for that is great info, i know what you mean about the 747 and how it manages to stop :rolleyes:.

I like the sound of the hotel which is good for spotting and will book a holiday there if i can, just wont tell the wife to be mrs vfr.

lol

Is there anywhere on the web that i could download the airport maps for the runway (plates) etc etc of a spooting guide for the airport.

Thanks
VFR

Pilotdom
4th Oct 2006, 13:52
Best hotels to stay in Las Vegas close to the strip but also Good views of aircraft going into vegas airport.

Anybody got any advice?

Cheers
Dom

Sleeping Freight Dog
5th Oct 2006, 09:14
THe Hard Rock Hotel gives you some nice approach views.
The new Hooters Hotel or the back of the Tropicana will give you
some good views as well as the hotels listed above.
Not many aircraft in storage here any more. Most have been moved to
the scrap heap.

ALLDAYDELI
16th Oct 2006, 10:57
I was out on Saturday morning - specifically to photograph the latest Qatar
A340-600.

I was on foot, so I walked around the Western Permiter road to just past the T5 entrance site. A lady pulled over in a Ford Focus to the side of the road and started doing her makeup. At that point, a BAA T5 security (LandRover Freelander) reversed from the traffic lights and came over to tell the lady to move.
The same vehicle then came over towards me with hazard lights flashing, I had a bad feeling that he was going to say something to me.

Security man said "..Cant take photos here you'll have to go out". His badly spoken English didnt really do him any credits. I questioned him as to where it says I cannot take photos. His reason was "well it doesnt.. you are in the T5 project area and for security reasons now please go". I explained I was looking at the aircraft and had no intentions of photographing the terminal.
He wasnt interested and just kept repeating himself like a record.

Slowly I just made my way to the new river footbridge near the Colnbrook Roundabout where pedistrians can get through. Just managed to get a few shots as said aircraft landed 09L.

Some time ago there were signs up saying no photography in the T5 building site and the residents Friday bus-tours also banned photography. These signs have been down for some time and there is no incline that photography or members of the public shouldnt be there - I was on the permiter road.

In 7 years I have NEVER had anyone say anything to me about not be allowed to take photos in that location. And whats more, at least 3x Police cars came past - they never said a word - more to the point they could see my camera and camera bag on my shoulder.

Clearly I was a little 'narcked by this as I have never had issues. I returned later in the afternoon to the same spot with our little one (camera not visible but in pushchair)
and same security man drove past, looked but never said a word. My visit was only for a specific aircraft, not to hang around all day.

Anyone else had a similar issue or wish to comment? Thanks

scudpilot
16th Oct 2006, 11:49
sounds to me like a distinct case of " I have a uniform and big shiny vehicle with flashing lights and I intend to use it to full effect!!!! "

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Oct 2006, 11:52
My wife and I have stood for hours openly photographing the landers on 27R from just near the entrance to the long stay car park. Many, many police and BAA security vehicles have driven past us and stopped right beside us in busy traffic but none has ever taken any notice. We've also driven into that site just south of T5 and watched aircraft from there with no trouble.

We took some pics of 27R landers from a park in a housing estate at Cranford and this attracted the attention of a police landrover. I explained a) that I was a retired ATCO and b) what I was doing and the crew became mightily interested in what could be seen.. so no problem there.

At Southampton Airport I was photographing through a wire fence when a police car stopped. Same procedure as previous paragraph and off they went. I sometimes carry my old Air Traffic Controllers Licence with me in case they need documentary proof that I'm insane, but it hasn't been needed yet.

Talkdownman
18th Oct 2006, 09:32
I sometimes carry my old Air Traffic Controllers Licence with me in case they need documentary proof that I'm insane, but it hasn't been needed yet.Anyone could tell that, Bren, without you needing documentary evidence...................:}

chevvron
18th Oct 2006, 10:28
I thought paper tended to rot away after a few years.

MAN777
18th Oct 2006, 14:37
Is the perimeter road owned by BAA ? If so I think the security guy was authorised to ask you to leave, (they could argue trespass) if he was acting on a directive from BAA. If its public there is nothing that they can do about it. Not sure what response you would have got if you had stood your ground, if it is their land reasonable force could be used to remove you.

Kirk Biddlecombe
18th Oct 2006, 15:10
I don't think it is owned by the BAA. I've been there before and it seems just like a public road as is the other good spotting location on the approach to 27L (Myrtle Avenue) / Eastern Perimeter Road.

MAN777
18th Oct 2006, 15:48
Not exactly sure here but i think BAA do own some of the perimeter roads but they allow traffic access to enable the airport to function. Apart from possible trespass there is also possible airport byelaws to consider. I am no expert, I suggest that you ring the highways department or town planning for the area and ask them who it belongs to.

PaperTiger
18th Oct 2006, 16:05
Not exactly sure here but i think BAA do own some of the perimeter roads but they allow traffic access to enable the airport to function. Apart from possible trespass there is also possible airport byelaws to consider. I am no expert, I suggest that you ring the highways department or town planning for the area and ask them who it belongs to.We discussed this a couple of years back. Every entrance to the LHR roads has those "No entry except for access" signs (white circle, red outline). This applies to pedestrians as well as vehicles and "spotting" is not a valid reason for access. It's not enforced very often, but could legally be.

ALLDAYDELI
19th Oct 2006, 09:29
Folks, thanks for your input.
AFAIK it is indeed BAA property. Thats why I was wise enough at the time not to be unprofessional and stamp my feet/make an issue about it.

The questions of airport access at Heathrow has been raised on other PPRUNE threads before. There have been various discussions on thru traffic, rat running, use of areas for commuting, catching trains/buses etc. In fairness I transit LHR twice daily and make multi-modal onward connections but I am not an airline passenger! How can they enforce that?

OK - My gripe here is really over consistency.
Why is it that nobody (incl Police) have ever had issues with me before?
I reguarlarly stand and cycle around and within the LHR permiter with my camera - including close prox to the T5 end, mostly weekends.

And yes, Myrtle Road is NOT BAA land but the likes of EastChurch Rd Roundabout, Hatton Cross station forecourt, Southern Peri Rd etc all are BAA properties.

The point again was later the same day I was stood in the same location and the very same security man in his Land Rover saw me but never stopped or said a word.

Just one of those things I suppose. I respect it is private property and I am sure it might raise its head again in the future. Off the cuff, if BAA had decent/proper facilities for the enthusiast then maybe we wouldnt need to hang around on extermities of BAA property.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Oct 2006, 12:13
<<OK - My gripe here is really over consistency.
Why is it that nobody (incl Police) have ever had issues with me before?>>

Probably down to the individual copper/security man.... like some coppers tell drivers off for speeding and others book them..

Friends of mine were watching aircraft at Farnborough whilst parked on a busy A road. Coppers topped and served them with notices saying they'd interviewed them about terrorism!!! My wife and I have spent countless hours around Farnborough watching aircraft and loads of police cars have driven past without a second look. From one vantage point we use the aerodrome security people have often driven up.. and when they've seen our scope, binocs and camera have given a friendly wave and driven off.

That's life I'm afraid...

PaperTiger
19th Oct 2006, 15:28
There have been various discussions on thru traffic, rat running, use of areas for commuting, catching trains/buses etc. In fairness I transit LHR twice daily and make multi-modal onward connections but I am not an airline passenger! How can they enforce that?I imagine that making public transport connections is a legitimate reason for access. Or it gets a waiver.
Thru traffic would not appear to me to be legit, but trying to stop it now would be impossible.if BAA had decent/proper facilities for the enthusiast then maybe we wouldnt need to hang around on extermities of BAA property.Maybe; but I suspect you'd still get some who want 'better' or 'unique' angles for their photos. They would hang around regardless.

airmail 1
30th Oct 2006, 14:10
hi all have a couple of hours to kill at geneva.is there a spectaters area there or a cafe to check out the aircraft thank,s...........

TBirdFrank
2nd Nov 2006, 21:24
Many installations in the UK are connected to the public highway by estate roads, which are in fact private property, but look to all intents and purposes indistinguishable from any other road.

The difference is that there will be, somewhere along their length, a 1959 Highways Act non-dedication notice which prevents the acquisition of public rights, and retains their ability to manage, patrol and close these routes if they so wish - or just to be officious which seems to be what you have encountered

Skipness One Echo
12th Nov 2006, 12:30
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0892393&WxsIERv=Obrvat%20767-304%2FRE&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Gubzfbasyl%20%28Oevgnaavn%20Nvejnlf%29&QtODMg=Ybaqba%20-%20Tngjvpx%20%28YTJ%20%2F%20RTXX%29&ERDLTkt=HX%20-%20Ratynaq&ktODMp=Whar%2027%2C%202005&BP=1&WNEb25u=Ora%20Cevgpuneq&xsIERvdWdsY=T-BOLO&MgTUQtODMgKE=OL302N%20ebyyf%20sbe%20gnxrbss%20obhaq%20sbe%20 Vovmn&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=273&NEb25uZWxs=2005-08-03%2009%3A38%3A50&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=28040%2F613&static=yes&width=1003&height=686&sok=JURER%20%20%28ZNGPU%20%28nvepensg%2Cnveyvar%2Ccynpr%2Ccu bgb_qngr%2Cpbhagel%2Cerznex%2Ccubgbtencure%2Crznvy%2Clrne%2C ert%2Cnvepensg_trarevp%2Cpa%2Cpbqr%29%20NTNVAFG%20%28%27%2B% 22T-BOLO%22%27%20VA%20OBBYRNA%20ZBQR%29%29%20%20BEQRE%20OL%20cub gb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=14&prev_id=0953104&next_id=0883161
Is this airside or can Joe Public get here and if so how?
Also, can I get from the 26L undershoot at the Das Air hangar to the 08R hold without a car?
Cheers

MilanNN
13th Nov 2006, 12:19
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?photographersearch=MilanNN
I'm new here. If you want you can see my photos taken in Nizhny Novgorod (Russia)
:)

George_08
20th Dec 2006, 13:43
Hello everyone!

Well, firstly I am not going to be around till next year - So, I'd like to say Merry Xmas and a happy new year to everyone!

Anyway, I am flying to Barajas on Friday to get a connector to Doha with Qatar airways, and have something daft like 5 hours to kill between the times - Is there a spotters lounge there, or anything of the same ilk??

Also, has anyone flown on an A300-600 of Qatar? Opinions, please =)

Greetz,
George =)

Blues&twos
29th Dec 2006, 09:31
Hello. Apologies if this has been posted a million times before - did try a search but "Heathrow" and "Gatwick" turn up a LOT (not a big surprise).

Can anyone suggest a good vantage point outside the airports for parking up and watching the a/c land and take off? My kids are pretty keen to go and have a look, but the last time I sat on a fence at the end of a runway was when I was about 10 years old....I wasn't sure whether increased security would have made it more difficult to do that these days.

If yiou know the road names, that would be great as I could then look it up on Multimap.

Cheers

B&t

EGKK931
29th Dec 2006, 15:41
Blues&twos,

Hi there,
I can help you with Gatwick -
You certainly wouldn't be allowed to 'sit on the fence' as you put it these days in current security climate :) ;)
However, many spotters find the best place most of the time is the 26L theshold (most of time Gatwick is on 26L) and they usually stand/sit along 'Perimeter Road East' just down from the South Terminal. I have done this myself and have never had any bother from police or BAA security. Just make sure you do NOT get too close to the actual perimeter fence because I have a copy of the BAA By-laws and apparently you must get no closer than 3 metres to the restricted zone fence at any time.

For a quick glance across the whole or most of the airport hop onto the BA transit inter-terminal train. Completely free and runs alongside the northern perimetre road and can see most of the stands of the South Terminal satellite possibly more and control tower/parts of North Terminal.

I would suggest you get a train to Gatwick as you will be very hastily moved on by security if you park along the perimeter roads as they are very busy.

I know another location if you would like to know, probably the best for summer and easiest to park at and be prepared for a long walk ;) PM me for details....:ok:

Blues&twos
29th Dec 2006, 16:14
Thanks EGKK! Yep, was back a fair while ago when my dad and I would actually sit on the wooden perimeter fence at EGKK and I would wave to the pilots. I'll pm you for the additional details! I have now just done the obvious thing and had a look at the road layout around Gatwick on Multimap.

No such worries at Shoreham (my "home" airport) where my friends and I spent many happy hours wandering along the riverbank watching all the activity on the field.

Cheers!

MATaxi
29th Dec 2006, 16:52
Hello Blues & Two's , I'll try and help you with Heathrow if i can.
Basically , since Queens Buildings were closed after 9/11 , you are only left with three choices if you have kids in tow.
1. The ex-Heathrow visitor Center is located next to the Renaissance Hotel at the far Eastern end of the Northern Perimeter Road which is signposted still.Despite the unit now housing a training centre , the authorities still allow you to park in front of it which gives you a view of the landings or take-offs on 27R and ....... thats pretty much it although you do see some taxying traffic.The parking costs are still £5 for all day or about £1 an hour.BEWARE.....except for a Mcdonalds behind the training centre on the other side of the A4 there are no amenities.
2. For 27L you can either park in the Hatton Cross underground station car park (£5) which gets you underneath them if they are landing , or park in Myrtle Avenue or one of the side roads in that area where there is an open grassed area where you can sit and get a side on view of landings or a rear view of take-offs depending on runway orientation.It's free to park but once again , no amenities at either spot although there is a BP garage nearby where you can use a loo or get an expensive sandwich.
3. If the wind is from the East , forget it , theres nowhere i'm aware of to watch landings or take-offs at 09L or 09R.
4. Remember runways change sides at 1500hrs every day and sometimes more than once if particular operating conditions dictate.
5. Having been to LHR yesterday , they were using 27R to land in the morning and 27L after 1500hrs....so if you are thinking Saturday or Sunday , go to position 1 about 1300 hrs and you should get two hours of landings and an hour of take-offs before the dark sets in as well as a reasonable spread of operators colour-schemes ; particularly Saturdays.:ok:

Blues&twos
30th Dec 2006, 10:17
Thanks MATaxi! Info from EGKK and yourself has been brilliant! This will have undoubtedly saved me hours driving around trying to find somewhere and getting nowhere, or being rugby tackled to the floor, squirted with CS gas and dragged off to the cells......:uhoh:

Cheers guys!

Jamie-Southend
30th Dec 2006, 11:04
Just popped onto this thread, dont know if this has been mentioned, but when i was last there ( Late Afternoon ) they were landing on 09L.

There is a business users car park which runs between the perimiter road and the airfield boundry. Its aimed i gather at business class customers etc and costs i think about £20/£30 for the day.

It appears to be a great plave to watch either landings or TO but only for 09L, as the parking area is close to the touchdown areas, photography here is also bound to be good, if you have a small set of steps in tow, and i presume you can stay with your vehicle.

I have not tried it and i am only presuming that the staff there would allow you to stay with your vehicle.

Jamie:rolleyes:

EGKK931
30th Dec 2006, 12:54
Hi again Blues&twos!

Just about to PM additional details ;)

que
7th Jan 2007, 15:51
Hello To All!

Just a quick question, I will be doing a stopover in Dubai for a few days and wanted to do some spotting near the airport(will be in the town streets not next to the airport perimeter fence!) but I heard that police officials are always near and its prohibited,
Any Info?

Many thanks

The Shore Crab
3rd Feb 2007, 00:30
I visited the Ingleston old market area last week for the first time in ages. I used to enjoy sitting there and watch the take offs and landings. It had a great view and quite a few guys took photographs to post in the Scottish Aviation News. The whole area is barriered off now and was just wondering the reason. Now I know it's private property and all that but what harm was anyone doing? I don't think it's for security as you can still access the area on foot but no car access. Anyone have some insider knowledge?:sad:

Jamie-Southend
12th Feb 2007, 15:28
Popped into Redhill a couple of times recently, I am only into photography, does anyone know if any of the Hangers are accessable, and other A/c on the otherside of the field?

Great Cafe there with outside seating and a nice view of "General" GA :rolleyes:

sir.pratt
14th Mar 2007, 05:28
I've searched but can't find anything - I'm heading up to LA for a week or so, and would really like to have some quality spotting time - especially of military machinery. Is there anywhere worth sitting at the Santa Ana US Marine Corp base? If not there - anywhere else?

jedigtr
14th Mar 2007, 10:24
Well worth avisit is this place http://www.theproudbird.com/index.html

Good food, quite a few aircraft parked up in the garden and right underneath the flightpath for LAX

HH6702
28th Mar 2007, 14:40
I heard that theres a hotel at the end of the runway which is good to stay.
I hoping to go out this summer for a few days can anybody supply me with the name and website if possible.

Thanks
hh6702

CentreFix25
28th Mar 2007, 15:30
Airfield charts HERE (http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?cid=1078418725020&pagename=AIS%2FHome_AIS&SMO=1&SiteName=NavegacionAerea&Section=1&c=Page&MO=2&lang=EN_GB)

arthur harbrow
28th Mar 2007, 16:51
10years ago we stayed at the Hotel Luz Marina in C an Pastilla.At that time we were allowed on the roof from where you could see the airport.
The hotel was very nice, but i have heard building work has obscured a lot of the views of the airport.
Enjoy your holiday.

GK430
28th Mar 2007, 17:57
There is the hotel Alexandra - it is basic, but clean and very adequate if "spotting" at LEPA. You will be better off with a hire car if you want to get around to take any photos. Not sure of a www. but Google it and see! It is by an area which is pleasant for eating out in the evening.

Adrenaline
6th Apr 2007, 11:03
Hi,

I am from Singapore and wonder if anyone Photographer knows how where to get good, close locations of take off and landing of commercial aircraft?

Thanks in advance

Skipness One Echo
6th Apr 2007, 14:05
Hmmmm trainee pilot, suspiciously ill informed about the obvious. With an interest in getting up close and personal with COMMERCIAL aircraft..........

Yes I'm not at all suspicious here.

Adrenaline
7th Apr 2007, 12:54
not getting you.

Any idea on where to get good close and clear photographs on COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT here in Singapore?

anoraknophobia
10th Apr 2007, 19:02
I recently flew from Heathrow, and stayed the night before in the Rennaisaince hotel which had superb views of one of the runways.
In june I will be flying from Gatwick South,anyone got any ideas of any Hotels with similar runway views.
Thanks in anticipation.

hampshireandy
11th Apr 2007, 12:49
Hi, are there any spotting facilities at dublin inside the terminal or is it just a case of finding somewhere on the perimeter road? i wont have a car there so is the airport boundary walkable!?

Just a spotter
11th Apr 2007, 13:20
Hi hampshireandy

There are no "facilities" inside or around the terminal. There are one or two, restriced view locations inside the terminal, although, if you go up to the Mezzaine level and through to the back of the "skyview"/Thomas Reid bar you can look out over the "B" gates. Adjacent to the bar is an "eatteary", at the back of that there is a passage way to the toilets with a simiar view.

Other than that ... at the end of the Mezzaine, beside the McD's you can peer across the A gates and from the Departures level, where the Bank Of Ireland used to be, beside the check in area "A" you can see, just, over the C gates. If you felt "brave" you could walk up to the top of the Car park C block and loiter there ... you'll get something of a view from there ... it's about 10 mins from the terminal.

You'd have to leave the airport complex to access the perimeter road, but it's walkable. If 28/10 is active, then you could walk to the parallel public road in about 20/30mins from the terminal.

The best viewing points are outside the airport along the perimeter roads.

JAS

Byraer
11th Apr 2007, 15:15
Indeed, although it would be nice if we had a nice closeby viewing area, like nearly every other civilian private and public/ government airports in the country... since it is the biggest!

Have fun at Dublin, there'll be plenty of craft about ;)

hampshireandy
11th Apr 2007, 15:54
thanks for your help, think i had better get to the gym and get my legs in shape!

EIDW Spotter
12th Apr 2007, 23:50
Hi

I know that there is a spotting balcony at Stuttgart, however I was wonderinf what the facilities are like?

Do you have to re-pay in each time you go out fothe terminal for a smoke etc,

any help appreciated, also what would be the ideal lense type for photos from this location

Mick

G-APDK
13th Apr 2007, 07:55
Mick
I recently visited Stuttgart and had no problems going on and off the viewing deck and paying only once. That said there were only about ten people using it all day as the weather was not good. The cafe on the terrace was closed for refurbishment but was due to open "in April". Plenty of paces to eat in the terminal some with views across the apron in front of the terminal.

Regarding photography, aircraft parking in front main terminal and the viewing terrace area need only 100-150mm lense, the mainly german commuter types park to the east and require 200-300mm depending on the way they taxi in and park. GA and executives park even further east and tend to park nose on and so are not good for photos.

If the landing runway is towards the east a 200-300mm lense may be OK, the day I was there they were landing on the westerly runway and aircraft were too high on take off to be usefully photographed.

http://www.saa-news.de/ is a useful site for information.
Enjoy your visit
Phil

Newforest
13th Apr 2007, 21:06
Was there yesterday, there was a great table front and centre in Burger King which said 'Reserved for Stuttgart Enthusiasts members!' Nice to be appreciated somewhere!

Magoodotcom
13th Apr 2007, 22:54
Headed to Toulouse next week for a few days and was hoping to do a little bit of spotting on a day off.

I'd be grateful on any advice as to the best places to spot around Toulouse Blagnac (TLS).

Cheers

Magoo

Avman
14th Apr 2007, 08:21
Magoo, I don't have the info at hand, but with a little googling I believe you could find a useful local spotters' web page which provides detailed info.

danielhobbs
17th Apr 2007, 08:12
Does anybody know any good spotting places at Newcastle, i dont mind walkin about 30-40 mins as im flying up.

hampshireandy
19th Apr 2007, 15:00
Hi, does anyone know what the spotting facilities are like at barcelona(girona), either in the terminal or outside the perimeter?
Many thanks

danielhobbs
20th Apr 2007, 08:01
is there anywhere at manchester where you can spot, but get there on foot, i dont mind if it takes about 45 minutes to get there, but rather not that airport car park, but hopefully a runway position.

I hope to be going there on a weekday so not the AVP as the buses dont run, but anywhere you can recommend which is accessible by foot.

I hope somebody can help :)

Curious Pax
20th Apr 2007, 08:16
Assuming you mean using the airport terminal as a starting point, then you could walk to the AVP in 30 minutes, or to the Airport hotel by the holding point for 24R in 10 minutes.

danielhobbs
20th Apr 2007, 10:18
I thought that to get to the AVP you had to get on a motorway.

How can you get there by foot, i will be arrived at Terminal 3 - Air Southwest. If you have any directions id really appreciate it.

And also which is better because i know that one runway closes for a few hours during the day, 'The Mounds' or the AVP?

owenkirk2007
21st May 2007, 19:28
Hello ive just booked EMA-DUB, DUB-STN, STN-DUB, DUB-EMA for next month and i was wondering if there are any places where i can see planes from the terminal building, thanks. Also can you avoid going landside at dublin with online check-in?

DONTTELLTHEPAX
21st May 2007, 20:14
The terminal is not the best place to see aircraft, there is a place to
the left of the terminal building but its not close,
If you have so way in getting to the other side of the airfield there is a
very good point to see all takeoffs and landing, you would be about 30 meters from the runway.

If not I would say your best getting to the gate as early as poss and
going to the very end of the gate building (made of glass) you will
see alot from there.

hope this helps.

TCX69
7th Jun 2007, 23:03
Hoping to go spotting at LHR some time next week. I know it's pretty difficult now! :( Does anyone know the best day to go? I know every day is pretty the same, just wondered.

Thx

bombhead
12th Jun 2007, 16:16
I'll probably be moaned at for this post, but hey ho !!

I will be on my first visit to Frankfurt soon,and I have been told the viewing
deck is closed.

Can anybody help with other locations,within the terminal/s.
Also any off base areas please.

I thought I would try here first.

steve platt
12th Jun 2007, 17:26
A day trip to man! Magic! Ex aer lingus is no good. thanks for your help.

AdamC
12th Jul 2007, 01:10
Hey Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good place at Heathrow or the surrounding area for a bit of spotting - Obviousaly I don't want to arouse suspition with the current terror alerts etc at the moment..

Any help would be much appreciated.

Adam.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Jul 2007, 07:08
A lot depends on the runway configuration, if you want to take pics, etc. For 27L landers and excellent piccy opportunities try the entrance to the cemetary just south of Hatton Cross - it's much less crowded than Myrtle Road (if that's the name?).

HH6702
3rd Aug 2007, 14:51
Need help with the above

Does Faro have a movements website like ACE movements??
Where is good to spot around the airport?

im staying in albufria i know it's a bit out of the way but hoping to get bus along to airport for a few days to get some spotting done, does anybody know if the planes fly over that resort?

thanks

Callsign Kilo
3rd Aug 2007, 16:10
Was in Albufera a few years ago and remember the aircraft passing over when the easterly facing runway was in use. The resort is at the end of the base turn for the VOR/DME Approach to Rwy 10.

A good set of binos, an airband radio and a cold beer on the balcony should keep you happy.

TSR2
3rd Aug 2007, 17:43
Do a Google search for 'Faro Airport Arrivals and Departures'

I am no spotter but a good place to watch planes landing is the beach at Vale do Lobo or Quinta da Lago. You will need to take a taxi (or hire a car) as I do not think there is public transport in this area.

Perhaps a spotter may know of a place close to the airport.

Ad C
3rd Aug 2007, 17:53
I know there used to be a viewing area on top of the new terminal but, as i haven't been there for a couple of yearsI can only assume that it is still open.

As for movements, Thursdays, Saturdays & Sundays used to see the bulk of the UK flights coming in. BA & TAP used to do a daily flight from/to LGW, as I think did Monarch and Easyjet. Other days should also see flights from other european countries aswell as Portugese regional flights (mainly morning & evening).

May be a bit out of date but hope it helps.

Mr Angry from Purley
3rd Aug 2007, 18:53
HH
not that i'm a spotter but;
Follow the road from the Airport to Praia de Faro. At the end of the runway take a left up a dirt track. Follow this round until about half way down the runway oppo the pax terminal and sit there

If you want to be on the beach then the above is nearest, just go across the causeway. :\

Map_Shift
4th Aug 2007, 11:25
What Callsign Kilo said is still the case.

When routing down through Portugal to Faro for RW10 you nearly always pass directly overhead Albufeira, at that point starting the turn on to the inbound radial - great view from the flight deck but the (non spotter) holiday makers below must get a bit naffed off!

Egerton Flyer
7th Aug 2007, 21:03
Hi,
Off to Boston in a few weeks and would like an update if possible.
Is spotting from the top of the car parks still OK?, or are there any other locations (on airport) with views of the ramp.
Egerton Flyer....

Avman
8th Aug 2007, 13:06
If you can get a hold of a copy of the July edition of the LAAS Aviation News & Review, there's a Boston report in the Seen Overseas section. As for the car park, it's apparently plastered with NO LOITERING signs, so your time up there could be limited.

barit1
8th Aug 2007, 16:19
I used to get some wonderful shots (in the 70s) from the top deck of the old Eastern A/L terminal garage, also from the old G/A terminal bldg (now gone).

Avman
10th Aug 2007, 21:57
Yeah, so did I barit1. But what we could do in the virtually no security 70s isn't of much help to Egerton Flyer visiting in 2007!

carlrsymington
14th Aug 2007, 18:56
Next week, I'm flying with Delta A/L from DUB and travelling on to Indianapolis 5 hours later,
Anyone got any suggestions on best spots within the terminal(s) for spotting \ photography.
I've searched the web but nothing useful found.

carlrsymington
14th Aug 2007, 19:13
I've visited Boston several times over the past few years and spent some time spotting. These are the spots I could locate in the few hours I had.

A lot depends on the terminal you are departing from and I suspect you will be routing through terminal E as it has customs & immigration. (on researching this it appears it is now renamed D for 2007).
I could only get views of the ramp once I had checked in & gone through security. The views are good but don't use a telephoto lens or make photography obvious. They don't like it. You can see all the international arrivals & some locals depending on runway in use.

I spent some time at terminal C in a restaurant beside Sam Adams pub (might have had a beer or 2). I could clearly see Air Cape, Jet Blue, Continental, Midwest & United. You can also see some runway movements but there are chairs \ rocking chairs to make it easier . If you go airside the views are better as they face out to the runway rather then being at 180 degrees to you.

If you have access to a car, viewing from outside the perimeter can be done from Bayswater ? I think you best research this one on the net, I've seen plenty of directions.

HH6702
22nd Sep 2007, 10:54
well thanks for the information. as it was a family holiday i didn't get the chance to get to the spots where you told me.

The planes came over my hotel and you could tell which airlines they were but too high still to get any regs.

does anybody have any logs of times and regs?
if so this would be great

thanks again
hh6702

Avman
23rd Sep 2007, 07:36
My dear HH, if you cannot arrange an Airport Day Pass or two from the family when on your hols you seriously need to review and discuss said family priorities. :)

Ian L
24th Sep 2007, 16:26
At Dublin you can stay airside after landing, however the views, if you're arriving Ryanair aren't that good (This is from my last visit in June but if new pier has opened then this may be wrong). I had a good look around then went landside. Terminal is not very good for views. You can walk to the maintenance area, but hit and miss if you see anything (45 min round trip) and you can walk to the threshold (about 45 mins each way) good view over the main apron and good for pic's. If you're checked in on line you can go through security anytime (Well I did, 5 hours before flight) This gives much better views than on arrival. You shouldn't miss anything that moves.
Stansted is a bit of a problem. On arrival you can see the traffic through possibly the dirtiest windows you will ever see. Landside nothing, outside I turn right and follow the road down the ramp keeping to the right. There is a mound on the right which allows numbers to be got but not pictures. Not very good really, but the best if you're not there long. This area may have been closed with added security measures.

owenkirk2005
24th Sep 2007, 20:15
Hi, im traveling to gatwick for a Few Hours Spotting and was wondering what its like for spotting, i arrive at 12.55 from dublin and then depart at 17.30 back to dublin, ive got online check in so can i go bk into departures when ive arrived? are the views in the south terminal any good? are there any views in close proximity of the terminal? thanks

Adola69
25th Sep 2007, 23:45
I understand that you can apply for a permit to enable you to take Photo's and more recently to actually stand still and spot outside at CDG, without having fear of the local "Clouseau's" lifting you for a short period of interrogation? (Probably due to extra security for the Rugby World Cup).
The question is does anyone know to whom and where my details can be sent to, in order to receive the permit. I can't find any info anywhere! Due to go early October.
Many thanks for any Info. ( I have trawled through the whole thread for an answer but found non, unless I'm blind!!:confused:).
Adola.

Ian L
26th Sep 2007, 07:37
Try http://www.kerozen.org/ or have a look through http://www.scramble.nl/forum/viewforum.php?f=45 I know the address is in there, but can't find it quickley.

Adola69
26th Sep 2007, 15:00
Many thanks Ian:O. I'll give it a whirl. What a top chap you are:D
Adola

EIDW Spotter
2nd Oct 2007, 11:17
Im planning a trip to the US early next year, I will be at the following airports during this trip. I need info on air side spotting/ photography or other Aviation interesting sites in these areas

Los Angeles
Las Vegas
San Diego
Hawaii
Newark

james747james
28th Nov 2007, 13:33
Hi all, I wanted to go to Manchester Airport to have a look at some planes taking off or landing, is there a viewing area? if so how would i get to it from arrivals?

Many thanks

James :ok: