PDA

View Full Version : Instructors

SeaplaneAds
29th Mar 2005, 11:29
Anyone know the latest movements with regard to instructors? Who's recruiting Grade 3's in Victoria?

30th Mar 2005, 22:04
The replies say it all. All I can say is, stick at it if you really enjoy it. Eventually doors will open up.

Wheeler
6th Apr 2005, 02:26
Certainly does say it all!

Many even find it difficult to get a job working for free. (And even when its not for free, it almost might as well be!)

When you consider the cost of an instructor rating, the need for a CPL, medicals, renewals etc etc, it certainly does make you wonder why there are G3's at all.

Having said that, being the most determined, persistent, bothersome etc does appear to be the key for the lucky few!

(Anyone know of anyone out there actually paying the for the privalege?)

Highbypasss
7th Apr 2005, 12:05
I've heard of people paying $10/hr to instruct. I had to sit down. I honestly and sincerely felt nauseous. After spending all that money and energy on getting my CPL and then Instructor rating, this bloke tells me that some mob in the middle of NSW will "let" me instruct for him for $10/hr. I passed it up. Just like i'm passing up any airline company that gives me a job and makes me pay for the endorsement. They can stick that where it fits!!!

Anyway, to answer your question. Just walk into any flying school, ask to speak to the CFI and ask about the possibility for work. There are some who'll let you hang around and take whatever comes in the door. You, of course, have to pay for the company check flight. No discount either. But they'll definately pay you for "working" (ie. VDO time) but not for "lurking".

Sincerely, good luck mate.

............................................................ H.:cool:

rmcdonal
9th Apr 2005, 10:51
If you don't have the magic 100hrs and a snr3 then work is a bit harder to find. The best place to get a job is with the guys you trained with (If they want you).

The Truckie
11th Apr 2005, 09:48
just apply to BAE in Adelaide they will take anyone who will stay longer than a week. And they encourage you to be a grade 3 for life so they don't have to pay you much. I must say BAE is the only aviation company that I know where people use all of there sick leave annually.

locusthunter
13th Apr 2005, 15:00
You, of course, have to pay for the company check flight. No discount either.

What? Pay for a company check flight?
I'd be interested to know how many people have paid for company check flights.

Years ago, I went for a sort of "check-you-out-ride" in a glider as part of an "interview process" to get a glider towing 'job' as a CPL holder. I didn't get the job but had to pay for an hours worth of flying time. (Not much $$$ in a glider, I know- but still heaps to a poor unemployed CPL holder after paying for thier training).

They "interveiwed" quite a few low-time CPL holders (and some PPLs) who all had to pay for their "check-you-out-ride" in a glider (not in the actual tow plane- a pawnee).

It was unethical and so is having to pay for your own company check to start working at a flying school. It's just as bad as paying $10 per hour to 'work' for someone.

After my glider school experience, I resolved not to pay for check or "interview flights" - if someone thinks that you are worth employing, they should put their money where their mouth is.

If the school is so tightly strung that they cannot pay for a company check flight- they will be so tightly strung that they cannot pay you fairly (and perhaps not even pay you unfairly either!!!).

VH-TEACH
19th Apr 2005, 23:26
"just apply to BAE in Adelaide they will take anyone who will stay longer than a week. And they encourage you to be a grade 3 for life so they don't have to pay you much. ....

Your got to be joking???
:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Im not going to bother........................ very sad :{

chicken6
19th Apr 2005, 23:45
Locusthunter

Not sure on the exact requirements, but I believe in NZ if you want to tow gliders you are required to have been towed yourself and have a sufficent understanding of what all the different types of waggling mean (aileron, rudder etc). My first boss had nearly 10k hours fixed and rotary wing, but to give glider tow ratings he had to go solo in a glider.

Serengeti
27th Apr 2005, 02:15
I hear there are heaps of instructing jobs for China Southern at Merriden. Best pay I have heard of in GA and over 800hours a year. If you do it for 6 months you can go back to Vic/NSW or whereever and pick up a good job as a Grade 2. Depends how lucky you are but may get twin training (not from CS) when you return. I think the pay is $34,000 heading up over $42000.
If you wanna instruct, this is a good start.

S