PDA

View Full Version : 737 - Flaps 1 or 5

TotalBeginner
28th Mar 2005, 22:47
I've noticed on the 737 that takeoff's are sometimes performed with flaps 1 and flaps 5. What are the factors that determine this?I imagine they are gross weight and runway length?

When you make the decision as to what flap setting to use, do you base it on specific guidelines, or is it based on experience?

Not a pilot so sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Topslide6
29th Mar 2005, 08:28
It comes purely from the performance manual. Factors involve take-off weight, runway length, runway condition and prevailing weather. The weather, amongst other things would determine whether or not you'd need eng anti-ice therefore incurring a perfromance penalty.

Must say, the 737 using flap 1 for departure doesn't happen very often. It's usually airline and airfield specific and I believe the 400 can't do flap 1 take offs. Flap 5 is the norm.

Hope that helps :ok:

HZMIS
29th Mar 2005, 17:25
flaps should be at popsistion 5 on a standard experienced pilot's 737, typical flight.

Typically based on weather and on the runway's length may they adjust the flaps, flaps also have an affect on the speed and climbing rate of an aircraft like the 737, as flaps are used to decrease speed and increase drag. This therfore has an antagonistic effect on speed and on climbing rate, as one increases the other decreases and viser verser.

Topslide6
29th Mar 2005, 19:19
Pilot experience has nothing to do with it.

We take the prevailing weather and airfield conditions and follow the performance manual entirely. I know of various sectors where the 'standard' is to use Flap 1.

Like i said before, however, the norm for most airfields is flap 5.

mutt
30th Mar 2005, 11:20
flaps should be at popsistion 5 on a standard experienced pilot's 737, typical flight

Is that YOUR understanding or have you actually read it in Boeing documentation?

Mutt.

j_davey
1st Apr 2005, 19:38
according to eric parkers training notes for us airways pilots, the 400 may not use flap 1 for takeoff(as mentioned already) but the 300 (and 500 i think) can use 1 or 2 (presumeably due to their lower MTOW)