PDA

View Full Version : Irish Air Corps to operate UAVs - Sunday (Irish) Independent

MarkD
28th Mar 2005, 01:38
a snippet from the article - anyone know where they are being sourced from?

--

two UAVs are to be acquired by the Irish Air Corps under an initial €300,000 programme and could be used to support anti-terrorist operations by Ireland's Special Forces, the Army Ranger Wing. They may also be used abroad on peace missions like Liberia allowing Irish commanders to see real time video footage by day or night from the drone operating far ahead of their patrolling troops.

One UAV, the American Predator, has been armed with missiles and was used to attack terrorist strongholds in Fallujah in Iraq. But the Irish UAVs will be smaller and simpler, to be used for roles which could include Border and sea surveillance; spotting for artillery fire, or acting in support of the Rangers.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1365739&issue_id=12258

SASless
28th Mar 2005, 04:01
Some questions came to mind while reading this....

Irish Special Forces?

Smaller and simpler?

I am not sure I would have written it quite that way!;)

The Baron
28th Mar 2005, 05:33
The Irish have been operating UAVs for years!

16 blades
29th Mar 2005, 01:43
The Irish have armed forces????

MarkD
29th Mar 2005, 01:59
The Irish have armed forces????

in a word... yes.

http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/army/main.php?sec=r&id=peacekeeping

I'm sure the Rangers would have found a UAV useful in Liberia and East Timor during their recent taskings to those peaceful havens, as well as those sent to Eritrea and previously to Lebanon, Cyprus, Kosovo...

SASless
29th Mar 2005, 02:50
Actually the concept of the Irish keeping the peace in itself is an interesting concept....our description of poor hill farmland is "Land so poor two Irishmen could not raise a row on it!"

Time to toddle off and have a Bushmills....or will it be a Jamesons...Bushmills....Jamesons....Bushmills....aw darn...The Famous Grouse!:ok: