PDA

View Full Version : WSO Career?

PhilM
26th Mar 2005, 15:10
Afternoon guys,

Maybe the wrong place to post this, but with the experiance in this forum i'm sure someone can help me out!

Here's a quick brief about me, I'm 21, a student studying Aerospace Engineering at Glamorgan Uni (at ICAT, Cardiff Airport), the course covers both BSc Aerospace Engineering and also the JAR66 B1 Licensed Engineer critera. I was in the ATC for 4years and got my Sgt Stripes, and now, I am currently serving as a CI whilst at uni.

I went to university to get a degree and "prove" myself due to mediocre A-Levels. The course is a bit of a 2 for the price of one, and should open many a career door should I need it, didnt really want to be an Engineer though!.

In an ideal world, I would after Uni apply for Pilot with the RAF, however my eyesight isnt what it could be, and also, I will be 23.5 when I graduate, so technically I will be too old to apply :(.

Gutting!

However, I am thinking of applying for WSO, as my eyes meet the requirements and also I will be under 24. Not first choice, but my first choice isnt availible it seems.

I will be applying to join St Athan UAS for next year, however I've been told they only recruit Pilots? And therefore with me wanting to be WSO and not meeting the requirements for Pilot, I probably wont be accepted?

Anyone know much about this? Or does anyone have any information they'd like to share with regards to a career as a WSO, ideally FJ stream, but I'd be over the moon to fly with the RAF fullstop!.

Thanks in advance :ok:

Pontius Navigator
26th Mar 2005, 17:53
Not many WSO slots coming up and a very hard surface if you fail. With your background however you may well be better placed to pick up an eng slot if you dip out as WSO.

OTOH the Eng branch is in the front line for redundanc. by the time you get there tho the taps may be open again.

PhilM
26th Mar 2005, 18:12
Thanks!

If there was to be a "wishlist" of careers for me it'd read:

Pilot
WSO
NCO Aircrew
Eng Officer / Intel Officer

Would I be a fool to apply for Pilot? If my eyes improve a bit I will apply before the end of university (keeping me within the age frame), however if not, I think I'd be stupid to apply - knowing I dont meet two of the criteria for Pilot. (I'm sure OASC would see it as "wasting" their time.)

Also, not applying for Pilot, but WSO would perhaps give the impression it'd be by no means a second best option for me!

kippermate
26th Mar 2005, 19:15
PhilM,

Why don't you let the RAF medics decide whether or not your eyesight is up to scratch? Apply for pilot. Whay have you got to lose? Furthermore, the UAS also recruits non-flying members, although, at present, the majority are fliers.

Good luck.

kipper.

Flik Roll
26th Mar 2005, 19:45
There are actually a lot of groundies on UAS's. WSO bursar on mine

PhilM
26th Mar 2005, 19:56
What do groundies do exactly? Never really considered UAS ground!

I was thinking if the UAS dont take me, I shall stay on as an ATC Instructor and try and get VGS duties!