PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Question

1DC
26th Mar 2005, 11:28
Sorry to insult the intelligence of the smart people but my wife is having a big moan about the "millions of wires" coming from our computer desk. It is about time for us to buy a new computer and we are thinking of a laptop with a wireless facility.
I have no idea about wireless capability and wonder what exactly we can run wireless. Is it possible to use broadband;print, scan and fax;use a joystick without having wires?? Oh and can our existing wireless mouse and keyboard be used??
Any replies in simple english would be greatly appreciated.....

BEagle
26th Mar 2005, 12:45
I have the following installation:

2 laptops, both with wireless connection to a BT Voyager wireless modem/router. This has a Virgin.net broadband internet connection.

A plug-in bluetooth link to the (rarely used) printer. This is interchangeable between the laptops, but does not give me a readback of the ink levels in the printer (might be the age of the printer?)

A logitech cordless mouse if/when I need it.

For the hell of it, I once ran all these wirless connections, plus a VMC PC card, another mobile phone and also a DECT phone all in close proximity to eachother. No interference or other problems at all!

I wouldn't bother trying to interface your existing kit, now that peripherals are so cheap...

The only wires I now have are from the mains to the laptop and from the mains to the printer.

1DC
26th Mar 2005, 16:13
BEagle..

Thanks for that.. her ladyship will be very happy......