PDA

View Full Version : Future of Wigram

jafa in da hood
26th Mar 2005, 07:02
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has any idea about whats going to be happening on the former site of the birth place of New Zealand aviation?
I know the Air Force still own the land the museum is on and historic places are looking at making sure the old tower isnt knocked down, but everything else seems to be marked for housing and other things.
It seems to be a very sad way for such a historic place to end especially as the runway there is in such good nik.
After having a brief drive around there a few weeks ago, there isnt much left from its former days as Base Wigram.

Jafa

ZK-NSJ
27th Mar 2005, 03:49
the local maori tribe own the field, pretty soon the housing developments will take over and all that will be left will be the museum,

Lindstrim
28th Mar 2005, 07:41
This is slightly off topic but what does the old Convair do? It flys out over my flat every second day but have no idea what it does. Very nice noise though, makes me wish that I was born a couple of decades earlier.

reynoldsno1
28th Mar 2005, 07:51
There are still submissions being made regarding protection of the OLS around the airfield, which would indicate that flying operations are expected to continue for the forseeable future. However, given the pressure on land by developers I wouldn't be surprised to see it go - plus the museum. How may RNZAF museums do we need? - and they don't have much significance for iwi anywhere. Perhaps consolidate to Ohakea, with a branch at MOTAT (or whatever they call it nowadays).

Alternatively, perhaps some stuff could go to Wanaka?

jafa in da hood
28th Mar 2005, 08:54
The convair (x2 of them) fly for Pionair Adventures, they're a charter operation, dont quote me but i think they have 3 DC3's as well. Had a look over it today, what an impressive beast it is!

Surely the museum wont go. As far as I was aware, during the disposal of the land by the RNZAF, the agreement was that all the land was sold, other than what the museum stands on. Air Force World is famous all over the world for having a very impressive collection and is far better than anything else in the country. Wanaka is good, but its not on a par with AF World.

I read an article in The Press last year which said the Council were looking at doing something to keep Wigram as a GA airfield but that was the last I heard of it.

Thanks for the replies so far, any more would be greatly appreciated.:ok:

Jafa

ZK-NSJ
1st Apr 2005, 20:24
the wigram museum is a hundred times better than the ohakea
one, but what amazes me is the cost to get in, when i was in aussie last year i went to the point cook museum (similar in size to wigram) and it was free,, incidently i live just east of wigram, and work just north of it, we are forever getting that convair flying over, not so many dc-3's though,