PDA

View Full Version : Over the hill for Virgin

Googlewac
26th Mar 2005, 00:38
Hi all

I'm 38 years of age with minimum req's for Virgin. Would Virgin still consider my application or do they follow the same train of thought as QANTAS (that I'm over the hill!).

Thanks

Dehavillanddriver
26th Mar 2005, 00:42
There is no discrimination on the basis of age - as far as I can tell it is illegal.

I would have thought that QF would have the same policy.

If you are 38 and only have the bare minimums you are on the back foot in comparison to others - but it depends on what you did in the 37 years before now...

Googlewac
26th Mar 2005, 00:51
Just to clarify I think QANTAS use the 'experience commensurate with age' rule of thumb. Why am I on the back foot if I've got the requirements? Is it because of my age?

404 Titan
26th Mar 2005, 00:54
Experience commensurate with age isn’t illegal as a selection criteria in Australia. Selection based on age only is.

takeonme
26th Mar 2005, 01:29
If you were applying for Qantas I'd say you'd be slightly on the back foot because of your age.

The only reason I can think of being the fact that Qantas spend big bucks on training you and want to get a nice 30-35 years of service out of you before you retire.

However, as your post is about Virgin, I'd say you should still have a decent shot at the title. As you pay for your own endorsement Virgin really have nothing to lose. And as others have said if you have spent the last 37 years gaining other experience Virgin deem handy, it should improve your chances even more.

EPIRB
26th Mar 2005, 06:27
Qantas have taken blokes up to fifty four years of age but they were quite experienced.

Towering Q
27th Mar 2005, 03:10
Re: Virgin, having lots of Blue Stars would certainly help.

tipsy
27th Mar 2005, 09:52
Going overseas about 15 years ago would also guarantee you a slot with the like minded mob at DJ.

The opposite has been demonstated to be the case if you or your father/mother, brother/sister or even your pet budgie stayed on in Australia and continued to fly for an airline at that time.

tipsy
prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:E

OBNO
29th Mar 2005, 21:39
You'll never know unless you apply. BTW I know quite a few who have got into QF at age 38 and over. If you are a good candidate it still gives them 20 plus years of useful service.