PDA

View Full Version : Possible new sticky? Feedback on CPL/IR training providers

aged
26th Mar 2005, 00:13
One very common thread topic is “which CPL or IR school should I go to” or “who has recent experience of ABC school” etc.
Almost every wanabee is interested in feedback from those who have just finished a section of training, anyone who is trying to decide whether to go to NAC or EFT, Prestwick or Perth etc wants to hear from people who have recently trained at these places.

Currently this involves a search for often out of date information then yet another new thread on the subject.

Could a sticky or two be set up to post feedback, say one for CPL training, one for IR (and maybe for FI and groundschool)? If folk posted comments after completing (or not) training somewhere then there should be an ongoing source of valuable information that is easily found – and is up to date. It should also reduce a lot of the duplication that must exist in the forum as yet another person asks where to go.

(of course it is always possible this has been suggested before and I failed to find it in a search!)

flighttime2.0
26th Mar 2005, 15:31
Well ive been to Naples for my cpl and was very happy with the level of instruction , If you want a jaa Ir it will have to be done in a jar state such as the uk ect . Im currently attending PTC in waterford Ireland for my multi Ir and finding them excellent .
Flighttime

Big Piston head
27th Mar 2005, 06:46
After visiting BCT and meeting two guys who completed their JAR ME/IRs in Spain at Aerodynamics on a 65hr course (25 Duchess 40 complex twin) alll real time I have decided to follow the same route the price is not that different (1500 cheaper), but when you compare the time scale then its half the amount. The IR has a 100% first time pass rate since Aerodynamcis have followed BCT U.K approved IR syllabus. 9 U.K students since January have passed, the general consensus being the amount of Real flying and doing 10-15 hrs a week helps. I'll return and do a 15hr Arrow CPL at BCT Kemble. No doubt I'll be decreasing the average!!!!!!!!

UnderneathTheRadar
27th Mar 2005, 12:31
sorry to be the naysayer (is that a word?) but a sticky probably isn't the best option - experience shows 2 likely outcomes:

1. post does nothing but gush about the school concerned (I can't work it out - are so many people really convinced that the service they got was perfect?). The two earlier posts back this concept up (not specially targeting the posters concerned - it's a forum wide issue). The same concept applies to people who suggest asking schools for references - what answer do you think you're going to get!

or

2. post does nothing but act as a vent for some imagined or real slight recieved and revenge is percieved as being obtained by slating that organisation. This then often involves the entire thread developing into a slanging match (see many many BGS threads!).

Of course the key point is, if you did your course at school A, how can you compare them to school B which you didn't attend and may offer a better product which you'll never know about!

Maybe a volunteer could moderate such a thread (moderating before posts are shown) to ensure that postings are real and valid? Or would that be too hard? Methinks it might be!

UTR

aged
27th Mar 2005, 20:19
UTR - you're probably right about the moderating. I wasn't thinking of a thread where a particular school is discussed, praised and attacked. More a thread, say for IR training, where the only posts are actual feedback from folk after training at any IR training provider. Discussion happens elsewhere.
Then you could read through comments on a variety of schools just about IR training based on experience rather than speculation and gossip.

Currently if you are trying to decide where to do an IR and want feedback you need to search not only for "IR" but also for each school you are considering.

Probably too idealistic an idea for some folk here!

heathrow hawk
28th Mar 2005, 07:55
I agree with these threads but if you're ever going to get your command you need to make decisions, and as one man said get the licences anyway you can then network yourself. All this clap trap about where you went etc is irrelevant. I know personally a chap with four Aircraft in the U.k who refuses to let recently passed Oxford students hire them, his quote was "dangerous and can't fly" you need Real time and licences and the rest will follow. I did an ME/IR course all Real time and that has give me extra experience and confidence in the aircraft. Remember theres a lot of people out there who don't like pprune and don't use it so this is not a Gospel and really you're better to get out and meet the students in the schools, then you'll get the real feel, picture esp if you handing over 15000 pounds. During my training I visited Auz, S. africa, U.S.(A waste of time that was) and ten schools in U.K put off by sims I ended up in Spain visiting 3 schools. The hunting is half the the battle. Just make sure you get your own dedicated instructor for the full course, and you can fly every day most important on the IR.

Nice flaps
30th Mar 2005, 17:52
Can personally recommend www.flightpass.co.uk -top notch.
I do completely agree with UnderneathTheRadar though. People will generally have nothing to compare their experience to. Will just end up with a load of posts saying: I recommend school A, I recommend school B etc etc

Jinkster
30th Mar 2005, 21:01
I'd try Cabair - just done the modular course with them. Spot on! few little letbacks but nothing major. :ok:

Oxford - no first hand information but aircraft went down last week, not heard anything since!