PDA

View Full Version : how to reinstall or repair IE6

outofsynch
25th Mar 2005, 22:48
I have a problem with IE6. recently it has presented a fault where new popup windows come up blank. like if i click on a link in pprune the new window opens, but nothing displays. It seems to have stopped the XP 'help & support centre' too.

i thought XP could repair a prog, but I cant find info. I even wondered about reintsalling IE6, but it seems you cant in XP.

Any ideas?

BOAC
26th Mar 2005, 07:56
I don't use XP, but in 2000, go to 'add/remove' and click on IE and there should be an option there.

outofsynch
26th Mar 2005, 10:28
Thanks BOAC... but deselecting IE dont have any effect because, I think, it is integrated with the operating system... just a guess..!

And thats why the help system is u/s too.............

BOAC
26th Mar 2005, 11:05
Have you tried? You should get (W2000) an option to 'repair' when you click on 'change/remove'.

carholme
27th Mar 2005, 01:33
Sir;
To remove IE6 in XP, do go to Add/Remove programmes and select Add/Remove Components located on the LH of the main pane. When the next window comes up, highlight IE6 and press Next to take you to the uninstall process which will revert you to a previous IE5 if you had it installed.

Alternatively, if you know roughly when your problem started. do a System Restore and IE6 will be functioning normal again

Regards
carholme

outofsynch
27th Mar 2005, 08:05
Thanks guys.. but...

In XP, IE is integrated and cant be uninstalled it seems. I have resorted to MS KB and found this....

By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be removed. To provide computer manufacturers more flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully functional to make sure the functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on it. For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This does not reinstall Internet Explorer.

I will have to attack registry..!

outofsynch
27th Mar 2005, 16:44
Sort of success... IE now working as advertised, except for the print facility...

Getting response "library not registered"
URL C : \ WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/preview.dlg

Same in outllook express, but printing in all other progs is normal.

Anyone heard of this? or know a fix? I cant even reinstall XP as it says I have a newer version. What to do?

maxell
27th Mar 2005, 19:25
an old adaware program called surfairy used to cause your problem.
Try Here (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;Q811165) or try a google search

IO540
27th Mar 2005, 19:28
I had to do this a while ago.

One needs the program ie6setup.exe. This is the stub (about 600k in size) that downloads the rest of IE6 (about 10 megs?). This then leads to a completely new installation. One then has to go to microsoft.com -> windows update and download ie6 sp1 followed by the countless security patches...

outofsynch
1st Apr 2005, 10:38
Thanks guys.. will try that today.