PDA

View Full Version : USA Visa

escobar
25th Mar 2005, 22:30
Had a look around and nothing has really answered my question. I am planning to go out with my friend to america for firstly a holiday and then to do hour building, cpl and me. Now I was planning on getting a package holiday and not using the return flight home, and once I have done all the training i need booking my one way trip home. I have done research and this would be the cheapest way.
Now I have contacted the school to get my student visa, but does anybody know if i have to go back to the embassy in london to get a new visa, i got an m1 last year, and on top of that does my freind need to go to the embassy in london to get a visa, she is only going for a 2 week holiday?
Secondly does anybody know if it is actually possible for me to get into the country without having a return ticket home, i clearly would not be using the return ticket.

I am totally confused as to where i stand with the whole visa issue, if anybody has a website which expalins it i would be grateful

Thanx

BigGrecian
25th Mar 2005, 23:05
As long as you come from a country which comes under the Visa Waiver programme you can enter under that whilst a tourist but then need to visit immigration to change to the M1 Visa.

However, you would be a lot better just entering on your M1 visa in the first place as the date will be valid from the date on the I-20. If asked by immigration be completely honest - oh and expect a wait in the immigration second review line - has happened to nearly everyone I know who has visited!

Disclaimer : I cannot verify these facts it is just my advice. Contact the embassy for more information.

cfimei
26th Mar 2005, 02:26
Actually if you enter under the visa waiver program you cannot, at a later stage, change status. The waiver program is very strict and you can only change status in the US if you entered on a visa. Only US Embassy's issue visa's not the immigration service so, yes you'll have to go home and apply for the M-1 visa through the local embassy. Your friend doesn't need a visa, she could enter under the waiver program. As for entering the country without a return ticket that's never a good idea simply because it gives the impression to the immigration inspector that you my have the potential not to leave when your time is up. And you did say "clearly I would not be using the return ticket." Tell that to an inspector and you most definately won't be allowed in. Remember every foreign citizen entering the US is PRESUMED to have immigrant intent - that's the wording of the law. So you have to show that your intent is non-immigrant and a return ticket helps enforce that intent. Pre 9/11 immigration was more relaxed but it really isn't worth trying to bend the system now.

Dnathan
26th Mar 2005, 05:31
I just got off the phone with the goverment about this, and what the other guys states above is correct, except that you don't need to go back to England do get your M1 visa done - you can also do it by Mexican or Canadian border if it suits you better.

I would recommend also, that you get your student visa at the US embassy before entering the country.

hixton
26th Mar 2005, 09:35
Wow! with a name like escobar and the questions you are asking I`m suprised you are getting any advice!

NACGS
26th Mar 2005, 11:49
DO NOT turn up at a border post like Canada or Mexico and expect to get a visa, unless you hold a Canadian or Mexican passport .

Call the Embassy again, and be very clear and concise with your questions, they will only answer what you ask. You will need to have the M1 visa issued at the Embassy nearest your place of residence outside the USA. Its pretty clear cut in this regards. There is no way to change to a M1 from a Visa Waiver at all.

escobar
26th Mar 2005, 13:38
Thanx alot for your responses, my main concern was the fact that entering a country with a visa for a few months and a return ticket for two weeks wasn't a clever idea, and i think i have been proven right. As i say i entered america last year on a m1 so they have my mug shot and finger prints on file, however i had a return ticket for three months time, i had to change my flight home at the end of the day, which is why i wanted to go out for a package two week holiday, then start my flight training, finish my flight training and get a ticket home.

Out of interest do americans have this much bother getting into britain?

Oops just re read my original post. I meant i would clearly not be using the return ticket on a 2 week package holiday when i had a M1 visa. I would think that the immigration would prob frown at this, however i can see why some people think that with me saying i would clearly not be using the return ticket, they would think that i had no intention of ever coming home :O

ikea
27th Mar 2005, 19:07
if you want to do anything that resembles training, you will first need TSA clearence (which I think is 70GBP), you also need aceptance form frrom your school (i-20), SEVIS clearence (further 50GBP) and then Interview with US Embassy (70GBP). THe process takes around six weeks to complete. BUt it can be made quicker in some circumstancecs

Flyrr100
27th Mar 2005, 19:28
Out of interest do americans have this much bother getting into britain?

In answer to your question.... no. As long as it's just a vacation.
I'm a dual national, but I have friends who have tried to get work permits for the UK and it aint easy. British red tape is as bd as US red tape.

TheFlyingSquirrel
3rd Apr 2005, 16:27
This Visa thread may interest........

VISA THREAD (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=153252)

escobar
5th Apr 2005, 23:33
does anybody know if i have to go down to london for an interview to get a new m1-visa or can i post it to them?

SkyRocket10
6th Apr 2005, 10:43
You will need to visit the embassy in London. The current waiting time for an appointment is a little over three weeks.

escobar
6th Apr 2005, 10:57
well it looks like i'm going to have exams in june so no great rush for my cpl now anyway