PDA

View Full Version : What! How old?

Birky
25th Mar 2005, 18:23
Any wannabees more than half way to the zimmerframe might be interested...

http://www.themightymarcus.com/marketresearch.html

Cheers all...

rotatrim
25th Mar 2005, 19:08
One of the most useful posts I have ever seen on PPRuNe. Thanks for sharing the info. with us.

Some of the airlines' responses are depressing, but there are quite a few positive comments - and some of the HR people even sound like decent human beings!!.

Birky
26th Mar 2005, 18:01
[rotatrim and pressman]:

Glad you found it useful.

I too was pleasantly surprised by most of the responses. Most seem to have taken quite a bit of time to help with advice.

Another reply came in from Highland Airways this morning. (A "yes")

http://www.themightymarcus.com/marketresearch.html

Cheers all...

Birkey

reece
3rd Apr 2005, 18:18
Birky,

your time, your patience i have read with the greatest of thanks....May i now pass on a modified crusade..

could we now perhaps, as im the same age...expand internationally ....How valuable is the JAA ATPL out there for the newly qualified 44 year old with 200 hours

26 new start up operations in Asia......do we have a chance??

Birky
3rd Apr 2005, 18:32
Reece]

You're quite right. In fact Flight International magazine is publishing practically every air operator's address worldwide over the next three weeks (at least, those with at least one aircraft with 20+ seats) so now's the time to do exactly that...

I think working for Mongolian Prairie Airlines, or some such, might be a gas!

I'll keep you posted.

Birky

Obs cop
3rd Apr 2005, 18:34
Excellent post,

I did find it interesting that the organisations who were the most positive were the smaller airlines and air taxi operators who traditionally lose out to airlines with staff retention.

It supports my theory that over 35's should be pragmatic in their search for flying jobs and not solely focussed on airlines. Indeed, I suspect that in these areas, older applicants may even be viewed more positively as they are less likely to move to airlines, bringing more staff stability.

Thanks for the info,

Obs cop

Mark Wannabe
4th Apr 2005, 13:16
Excellent Post.

I too am about to embark on the zero to fATPL journey.

At 35 I am slightly younger than you, but definitely on the wrong side of 30.

I was in the process of producing a similar email to send to the airlines, so you have done all the hard work for me, thanks.

I have decided to go down the modular route with BCFTC in Bournemouth provided I get through the class 1 medical on Wednesday.
This gives me the option to take each stage at a time; you never know you might end up doing the PPL and find out that you’re just not suited to flying.

Love to know how you get on in the future.

Mark Wannabe
:ok:

EGCC4284
4th Apr 2005, 23:43
38 years old this year. Hopefully this time next year will be flying for a living.

I still have another 20 years work in me and I would like to wake up in the morning and go to a job I want to do.

Keep going and don't stop.

Sheep Guts
5th Apr 2005, 00:18
I see many of those operators only fly 250-300 hrs a year. How on earth do they remain current and how on earth do they make any money. Surley flying 2-300 a year would a part time position power by the hour.
Very good study and congrats on your presentation of it. I can remember going for an SSO Army Pilot position in Australia and during the interview one the interviewing officers commented Your only 25! You look much older!

I have had my fathers hair style since I was 21. Ofcourse the interviewer didnt realise at the time, how lucky he was, being out of punching range:E

Definitely with large corporations and government bodies you would expect a reasonable amount of Interview skill and Human Resources eticet. Or spelling prowess er oops.

Sheep:)

Im 37 with 5300tt turbo prop but I was 28 with 385tt once.

Birky
5th Apr 2005, 14:18
Obs Cop]

Pragmatic is the word, you're right. The message I'm taking from all that operator feedback is that the over 35s definitely have to look for an 'angle' or an 'advantage' of some description - i.e. unless you're very lucky, 200-300 hours and enthusiasm is not going to be enough at that age.

On that basis I'm currently looking at US Commercial Courses with paid instructor work thrown in (assuming you pass their interview and there are positions available of course) Flight Safety International claim to offer such paid work and are licenced to issue the correct student visas.

(Any feedback from anyone else on that welcome!)

mark Wannabee]

Glad you found it useful. Good luck with your C1 and Bournemouth. More than happy to keep in touch!

Incidentally, have you given any thought to insuring yourself as you train? A company called Global Flying Insurances offer cover on training in case you lose your Class 1 status. Works out at about 1% of the value of your cover each year. (e.g. £30,000 worth of training = £350/annum)

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=169451&highlight=birky

Sheep Guts] Thanks!

Sheep Guts
5th Apr 2005, 15:47
Birky,
If you can convert to Aussie licence and get a work permit, you could get some decent time in the bush and 700-800 hrs a year with right employer. This would involve alot of sacrifice and obviously forgo some home comforts aswell. Remmember the flying community is much larger than the UK or even Europe for that matter.
Keep focused, and your dream will be reality, all these dim wits who comment on your situation as percieved, unbeknowns to them, are trivial sideliners on your path to Career Satisfaction.
To Struggle in the face of adversity, for prospective employers is a good indication of strong character.

Best of Luck

Sheep