PDA

View Full Version : Is 'uk-broadband-review.com' Independent

TeeS
25th Mar 2005, 09:40
I just got pointed in the direction of this site here (http://www.uk-broadband-review.com/) by a salesman for Homecall Broadband, saying it is an independent site. The deal sounds good but this website looks too much like a marketing ploy! Does anybody have any info on it?

Cheers

TeeS

Evo
25th Mar 2005, 12:37
After a quick google I can't tell - the whois record (which would tell you who owns the domain) seems blocked. All I could spot was that a search for the company who claim copyright for the domain also returned a reference to "female bodybuilding naked .... a photo of me skating naked up California Street behind a cable car" :rolleyes:

I'd look the offer up on adslguide.org.uk, they're pretty good IMHO

FunkyMunky
25th Mar 2005, 13:09
Looks dubious to me.
The description for nearly every other ISP has a reference to how they are "not nearly in the same league" as Home Call, and they list the same company (Telewest Broadband = Blueyonder) twice at the end. They dont even provide links to the other sites - even though they peddle BT and Homecall purchase pages often enough at the top :rolleyes:

You'd be better off checking adlsguide as Evo says, for decent impartiality.

TeeS
25th Mar 2005, 16:10
Thanks Guys

I will check that out. I would be interested in feedback from anyone who has signed up with them.

Regards

TeeS

longarm
25th Mar 2005, 16:43
Try [url]www.adslguide.org.uk full of useful information.

TeeS
26th Mar 2005, 10:27
Having looked on adslguide.org, it seems homecall is a repackaged version of Tiscalli, which seems to have the worst write ups in the world. While the offer seems good (it would reduce my current spending on dial up and phone calls) It looks like the OneTel offer for £5/month extra is a more favoured option.

I think what annoys me most though, is the 'probable' use of a false site as a marketing tool.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Once again I would be gratful to hear of any first hand experiences of these services.

TeeS