PDA

View Full Version : Last big pistons scheduled in Europe

The SSK
24th Mar 2005, 09:19
I got to wondering what were the last 4-engined piston ops on passenger service in Europe.

In July 1978 I flew on an internal flight in the Azores by the local airline, SATA. It was scheduled to be a HS748 but when I got to the airport I was delighted to see a DC6 on the apron – I knew they had used them but they disappeared from their schedules after the previous Winter season.

Although I had flown in a Six before, the 40-minute flight between two of the islands was sheer joy.

(Incidentally, the only other flight I ever made on SATA, many years later, was also supposed to be a 748 but was substituted by one of their brand-new ATPs, so I never did manage to get a ride on a 748).

It occurred to me that it was quite likely that the SATA 6s were the last heavy pistons in scheduled passenger service within Europe, and given that my flight was a one-off, it could have been one of the very last ops – who knows, even the last. I know I’ll never be able to prove that it was, but it might be possible to prove that it wasn’t.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Mar 2005, 13:40
I'm pretty sure my dad flew Manchester to Belfast on a BEA Pionair (DC 3) in the early 70s. Big radials AND a taildragger!

SSD

surely not
24th Mar 2005, 16:33
I doubt that SSD. By the early 70's BEA had a fleet of Tridents, 1-11's, Vanguards, Viscounts and Comets covering their routes in UK. Even Cambrian had replaced the Dak with Viscounts by then.

Onan the Clumsy
24th Mar 2005, 18:13
I took off on BCAL and landed on BA

How's that for a memorable flight?

PaperTiger
24th Mar 2005, 19:31
KarAir operated a cargo DC-6 into LHR into the 1980's, but since the question was about passenger ops, my vote would be for DAT (Belgium). Convair 440s until 1976 at least and probably DC-3s and DC-6s too or until very shortly before then.

Can't think who would have been flying Goonies MAN-BFS in the 1970's.

Airbanda
24th Mar 2005, 20:39
Balair's DC-6 HB-IBS, still operating in 1977 but retired shortly afterwards?

treadigraph
24th Mar 2005, 21:55
KAr AIr was a regular service, think Balair's DC-6 was very much ad hoc as I recall ... none the less welcome for that of course! Both as least as late as '78 to my knowledge.

Just a year or two ago, used to hear the Air Atlantique DC-6s rumbling overhead in the dead of night, presumably on newspaper or mail flights... never minded being awoken for that!

Golf Charlie Charlie
24th Mar 2005, 22:21
Didn't a previous carrier called Eastern operate DC-3s into Heathrow (from Humberside ?) for a very short time - late 1970s/early 1980s ?

Not Europe, of course, but over in the US Provincetown-Boston operated DC-3s on scheduled flights until at least 1983.

Cambrian were already onto 1-11s by the early 1970s (ex-British Eagle).

The SSK
25th Mar 2005, 08:30
my vote would be for DAT (Belgium). Convair 440s until 1976 at least and probably DC-3s and DC-6s too I used to fly the DAT Convairs and before them the DC3s quite frequently, they flew on behalf of KLM (Antwerp-Amsterdam) and Sabena. That would have been no later than 1973 though.

I'm pretty sure there was a Yemeni airline flying a Six up into Europe (I'm not sure where) in the very early 1980s, which is why my original post said 'within Europe'.

Opssys
25th Mar 2005, 15:39
Airbanda is correct, Balair DC6 operations were Ad-hoc Charters, Enthusiast Groups would book months in advance.

This Aeroplane was 'loved' and was always immaculate both externally and the Cabin.
Cockpit and Cabin Crew were so proud to fly her
If memory serves (badly these days) the Captains were dedicated to the DC6 but First Officers and Cabin were cross type trained.

The only people at Gatwick who didn't welcome this Aircraft were the BAA Management as they always parked it on a remote stand. despite the usual availability of self manouvering near pier stands being available (this is NOT a pop at the BAA Control Centre they were doing as they were told).

As for last service (which I beleive was Basel-Gatwick-Basel), whilst I have no evidence to doubt Airbanda I 'feel' it may have been more 1979 than 1977, hopefully someone can give an a definite answer.
Opssys

H.Finn
25th Mar 2005, 16:00
Kar-Air operated their DC-6BST (Swing-Tail) OH-KDA on scheduled cargo services until 1981. Last service was Heathrow - Manchester - Helsinki on 26-27 Sept 1981. Meanwhile, Finnair operated their last scheduled passenger service with Convair 440 on 30 April 1980.

Bert Stiles
25th Mar 2005, 23:26
Not 4E but pistons none the less. Dan Air operated pax (I think) DC3s until the late sixties and the AS 65 certainly til 69 on pax services and an AAK DC3 replaced a Manx scheduled Shed in June 85. Fairflight Herons (4E) were active til the eighties but on scheduled pax - can't remember. There was that peculiar Potez in France as well.... I'll try a google sometime.

BS

PaperTiger
26th Mar 2005, 00:37
If you mean the Potez 840 (http://www.aviafrance.com/aviafrance1.php?ID=5001&ID_CONSTRUCTEUR=1057http://www.aviafrance.com/aviafrance1.php?ID=5001&ID_CONSTRUCTEUR=1057), it was neither piston nor particularly big :)

Bert Stiles
26th Mar 2005, 12:57
Yes I thought I'd misremembered. Astazous - again I'm guessing - only mentioned it as it was in the 4E, Heron class and as you say not big - very odd though.

BAF worked their ATL 98s until the early eighties as well, though when their last pax schedule was I don't know. They were more your heavy pistons

Yes DJ, I think that Yemeni six is still operating in Europe as GAPSA ?
ex Saudia, ex British Eagle ? off the dump in Sanaa 1987 ?

It's set me wondering - what is the definitive answer ?

IB4138
26th Mar 2005, 13:41
Dan-Air flew DC3's on pax until 1970 and AS57's until 1971. Their sole DC7 was in use until 1969.

dusk2dawn
26th Mar 2005, 15:54
Think Air Atlantique still got DC-6(s) - or ?

treadigraph
26th Mar 2005, 16:50
Yep, Air Atlantique still running a pair of Sixes... ahhhhh! There's one flying in Austria as well.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th Mar 2005, 18:37
I saw the DC6 climbing out of Liverpool last summer - sounded wonderful! IIRC it was there to take part in filming an advertisement. Anyone seen it?

And in the '80s Clyden (sp?) airways used to operate a DC3 into Manchester nightly, on cargo duties.

SSD

BEagle
26th Mar 2005, 18:57
And don't forget that Lufthansa still operate a Ju52 in passenger service!

I don't know how they manage to keep 'Tante Ju' flying in the contemporary bean-counter driven era, but the very best of luck to them!

Caravelle
26th Mar 2005, 22:06
Hello.

SATA Air Azores is still using 4 ATP's for it's inter-island routes and there are rumours that it will replace them with dash8's. One of SATA's planes is right now at Southend doing some heavy maintenance work.

Happy flying.

dusk2dawn
27th Mar 2005, 10:38
Don't worry Beagle- the LH beancounters also calculated the fares for 'Tante Ju'.

Airbanda
27th Mar 2005, 19:58
My memory of HB-IBS is of a visit to LBA c1976, immaculate externally and ground staff reported she was immaculate inside as well. Last saw her at LGW in 77, and memory was that she dissapeared from CAM shortly after.

Googling however suggests she remained with Balair into the 80's, before being sold on for firefighter duties in Canada. Still extant in that role as late as 2002.

The SSK
29th Mar 2005, 10:46
According to the ABC guides, the SATA DC6s were still in the Winter 79/80 timetable but not in the Summer of 1980, so they obviously soldiered on quite a bit after my flight.