PDA

View Full Version : Born Again Spotter

mikedurward
23rd Mar 2005, 15:44
Hiya All,

Anyone any advice about a good radio for listening to tower and approaching planes into GLA. I live approx 5 miles east of the airport. I am also right under the flight path.

Cheers for looking.

Mike

magpienja
23rd Mar 2005, 17:15
If you dont need the radio to be transportable I would go for a base set, some of the portables can be overloaded with an outside ant, and most important get an outside ant high as poss, I have a 1/2 wave on my chimney I can pickup manch twr/apch 25 miles away no probs, my local airfield is liverpool that comes on 5x5 inc aircraft on the ground.

Nick.

mikedurward
24th Mar 2005, 10:22
Hiiya Nick

Thanks for that. Do you have any ideas of cost and where I can get hold of a base station.

Mike

gingernut
24th Mar 2005, 10:38
Could have a look on Maplins website

magpienja
24th Mar 2005, 20:30
Check your PMs mike.

Nick.

mikedurward
29th Mar 2005, 11:50
Hiya Guys

I have purchased a GRE 282 from ebay for 40 quid.

Do you think this will be any good?

Mike

Rollingthunder
29th Mar 2005, 12:38
Got one, works quite well. Goes through lots of batteries.

mikedurward
29th Mar 2005, 12:40
Hiya

Thanks for that.

What is the range like?

I live about 6 miles from GLA and directly under th flight path.

Mike

BOAC
30th Mar 2005, 17:34
I'll put this here from another thread on this forum as a favour to Ppruners to avoid their breaking the law!

EDIT:My thanks to a valued Pprune contributor (name available but removed for reasons of modesty ) for reminding me to remind ALL that the idea of listening to ATC in the UK on radio scanners is thought to be at least questionable and probably 'illegal'.

Here is a previous post on the subject

"All those who require a definitive answer should read this, which although being suitably confusing does offer an email link if you wish clarification.
You are advised to also check Section 5(1)(b) of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949

which

"makes it an offence if a person "otherwise than under the authority of a designated person", either:

"(i) uses any wireless telegraphy apparatus with intent to obtain information as to the contents, sender or addressee of any message whether sent by means of wireless telegraphy or not, of which neither the person using the apparatus nor a person on whose behalf he is acting is an intended recipient"
This means that it is illegal to listen to anything other than general reception transmissions unless you are either a licensed user of the frequencies in question or have been specifically authorised to do so by a designated person. A designated person means:

a. the Secretary of State;
b. the Commissioners of Customs and Excise; or
c. any other person designated for the purpose by regulations made by the Secretary of State.

or:..."

a further email link is available on that site."

[Last edited by BOAC on 26th March 2005 at 09:29]

Rollingthunder
30th Mar 2005, 17:39
As it applies to listening to ATC and A/c comms.........it's a stupid law. Wireless telegraphy...gimme a break.

mikedurward
30th Mar 2005, 17:42
:\ Oh I did not know this :\

My mother used to listen in to my father when he worked for BEA before his death in '73.
She used to time the spuds from the threashold ! ! ! !

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Harrier46
30th Mar 2005, 18:30
Luckily for all this vintage regulation is not enforced, airband receivers continue to be made and marketed and so there is no need to panic. When airband receivers are prohibited , that is the time to worry!

mikedurward
30th Mar 2005, 18:38
I have been doing some digging.

It is LEGAL to own a scanner but not to use it :mad:

Ranger 1
30th Mar 2005, 18:58
The old saying used to be: As long as you write nothing down, or pass it on, & never act on it, you were ok
The Law is a funny thing these days when you can buy a scanner but its not legal use it :ugh:

mikedurward
30th Mar 2005, 19:01
MMMMM Does that then mean that m old mother should run down to the local police station and hand herself in for putting the spud on at touchdown !!!!!!!!!!

billyg
31st Mar 2005, 06:35
Hello Mike, I purchased a GRE 282 on e-bay on 29th March too (£50) , spooky or what? My old Realistic Base scanner was on its last legs. I remember my first visit to the old spectators terrace at GLA in the 60s , there were air-band radios everywhere, I just had to have one and my da bought me a Volstatic Skyway that year for my Chrissy! Used to take it to school with me in Paisley , had it confiscated by the head on numerous occasions! :O

mikedurward
31st Mar 2005, 07:12
Hiya Billy

I used to live on B of W and also went to school in Paisley.
Dad used to take me to the airport with him when i was not at school. Spend my youth running around the roof top offices and the control tower.
Ah good times.

Mike