PDA

View Full Version : Jarvo

RS15
23rd Mar 2005, 14:51
Just heard that Matt Jarvis finally lost his fight with cancer. Although I've not seen him for a long time, he will be sorely missed - a great fellow and a very nice man. Heartfelt condolences to family, friends and all who knew him.

BootFlap
23rd Mar 2005, 14:57
A very good mate who will be sorely missed. Only the good die young. I imagine Jarvo is settling into an 'imbibing' game already, with those who have gone before him. Goodbye mate, say hello to Billy for me.

SmilingKnifed
23rd Mar 2005, 16:06
Never met him, but couldn't help but be impressed when I read the press coverage of his brave fight and final flight in a Spitfire.

Sincere condolences to those left behind.

SK

JagMate
23rd Mar 2005, 17:21
Very sad news. Our paths had frequently crossed in the service and I'm sorry I didn't have the opportunity to meet up once more with this fine pilot and great bloke. My thoughts go to his family and close friends.

Dockers
23rd Mar 2005, 18:26
Also worked with Jarvo. Very sad news. RIP

CJS
23rd Mar 2005, 19:39
Just heard the sad news. My deepest symapthies to all his family and freinds. I agreee, only the good die young.

Hadn't seen Jarvo for a while, but enjoyed his company and shared many a happy drink with him over the years. RIP Mate.

Another dent in the whisky bottle.

MovinWings
23rd Mar 2005, 19:53
Jarvo was one of my first students on the Anglesey Island Paradise, Great Guy and a Sad loss....RIP

Autorev
23rd Mar 2005, 22:09
Jarvo,

Just looking at this thread title makes me weep.

I find it difficult to believe that you are gone, never again to scare women and small children with the size of your tongue.

I will miss the most talented pilot I have yet to meet. I will miss the kindest and most funny friend I could wish for. I will miss everything about you.

For the last time mate - "Ram It Jet Boy!"

Army

LoeyDaFrog
23rd Mar 2005, 22:12
Just got back from 'that night flying ex in scotland' where we all signed a card wish Jarvo all the best as a married man. Sad news indeed and condolences to the family.

16 blades
24th Mar 2005, 00:12
I knew Jarvo through the earlier stages of training, and bumped into him again at Bruggen several years ago.

A truly larger than life character, a great bloke and a skilled aviator.

A great loss to the RAF and the wider world.

RIP

16B

Spotting Bad Guys
24th Mar 2005, 02:00
Jarvo, the two years we shared on Happy IV were the best of times. Staggering back on the Sambuca trail from El Corte in Gioia....swapping 'Jethro' jokes and offending just about everyone in the Mess at Cott... the Christmas Lunch with 39....too many memories to share.

The St Piran cross will be flying at half mast at SBG towers tonight.

Another sad loss. Fly Safe mate

SBG

D-IFF_ident
24th Mar 2005, 05:11
I remember Jarvo from BFT days. What a terrible loss. Will raise a glass or four to his memory.

Diff

foldingwings
24th Mar 2005, 10:54
Since I read this thread last night I have been summing up the courage to write something about an officer for whom I had only scant knowledge but total respect and admiration.

I first met Jarvo in the wardroom of LUST during SS2 and only just managed to stop him ripping the pockets off my Red Sea Rig shirt - it wasn't mine Jarvo, had it been, you would have been welcome to them. Our paths crossed a number of times later in Masirah, at AWC Cranwell and elsewhere. I tracked his progress to become a QWI and then on to the Red Arrows. He played his part in the RAF to absolute perfection - he brought with him total professionalism and a joie de vivre that is so often sadly lacking in some of those that we recruit today; he was the inimitable RAF fighter pilot. He had that spirit that I, and many like me, had in our youth. A spirit that worked hard and played hard, knew the boundaries both professionally and socially and sought them out!

When I first heard that he was ill I wrote to him expressing some of these thoughts that I now place here. No words will console his family, a young life snuffed out by a truly horrible disease, but had this not been I am convinced that our mate Jarvo would have been an outstanding officer, a remarkable Red Arrow and a thoroughly good bloke.

God Bless him.

RIP, Jarvo, I'll pay you back for all my sore heads whilst at sea off Oman in 2001, when we meet again in the hangar in the sky!

RIS not RAS
24th Mar 2005, 16:01
Terrible news.

We first met when you were a student Pilot at Linton and I worked in ATC. Many a riotous night was had in York, you with that impossible tongue and Mikey Kay and his pink pulling shirt.

By the time you had graduated from Linton I had moved to Akrotiri Ops. Not one to waste the hold you had between Linton and Valley, out you came to Cyprus to hold in Ops (for one day a week, you spent the rest of the time on the beach) blagging as many flights as you could in whatever aircraft were about at the time.

It was always obvious that you were going to be an outstanding success in whatever you did, you were a fine pilot, great officer and an inspirational leader. The Air Force is much poorer for your passing. I hope that your family can take some small comfort from the kind words expressed on this site and they have my heartfelt condolences.

RIP Matt. You were one of the best.
:(

BigGrecian
25th Mar 2005, 01:18
Story featured on Red Arrows Website (http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/news.html)

RIP

Edit : - also note MacMillan appeal (http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/macmillan.html) on the Reds Site.

Buv75
29th Mar 2005, 14:02
There's tears in me eyes mate,

Jarvo was my best man, a title that fitted him pretty well I think. I wa lucky enough to have him and many other top blokes on my courses throughout training. He was a fine and most loyal mate. Words cannot express my sadness at his deaprture.

The worlds a darker place for the snuffing out of this bright light............

BootFlap
29th Mar 2005, 14:13
Believe Witt is holding a Remembrance Service for Jarvo this Friday, his family going on afterwards for a private service.

Army and SBG: See you there? 'That' dinner with 39 was one of the finest evenings in a long time. PM me for ID 'in the clear'.

Spotting Bad Guys
29th Mar 2005, 14:55
I wish I could; regrettably I will be unable to attend due to being overseas.

PM on the way.

SBG

Tink Master
29th Mar 2005, 15:45
Jarvo, a terrible waste of talent, in the air and in the bar.
A great set of hands and an amazing tongue!! Tried to teach him at Valley for a while, we both learnt alot.
My and Mrs M's thoughts are with Jeanette and family, RIP my man

Black Sheep One
29th Mar 2005, 18:11
On the sad note of Jarvo's passing, if any of Matt's friends would like details of the funeral arrangements and subsequent celebration of his life, please PM me with ID in clear.

Matt's wish was for as many of his friends to get together as able. Let's give him a fitting send-off.

slapandtickle
29th Mar 2005, 20:10
I first met Jarvo at Valley, whilst he was holding for BFJTS and my wife was at Valley at the same time as Matt. Although we have lost touch with him we both have really fun and fond memories of him. Our thoughts are with the family. Having a few red wines in his memory.

gaulty
30th Mar 2005, 07:34
Jarvo.

Hands of God and one of the nicest, most genuine men you could ever meet. Sorry I can't make the service on Friday, but I am already at another funeral for another friend. Life does, truly, suck.

If there's any justice, there's a Spitfire, a Ducati, and a seat in the Pub waiting for us all on the other side. Save me a space.

RIP, mate.

Gaulty (139 BFT)

chief rigger
31st Mar 2005, 13:26
Matt, I sit here truly stunned. I remember us standing side-by-side at graduation, blagging a refuel in Bratislava (with a considerably 'heavy head' and using our best Slovak), and dancing on tables during some long warm nights in Thumrait. I can't believe our paths wont cross again, at least for some time.

May the wind be at your back and your jet eternally serviceable.

Rest easy mate, from a sad SEngO

GWM (146 IOT)

bayete
6th Apr 2005, 21:09
Sad news.
Many fond (drunken) memories of Jarvo from Linton. Sadly missed the opportunity to have a few beers with Jarvo when I trailed the Reds to Akrotiri beginning of last year and he wasn't able to go.
My thoughts are with his family.
147 IOT/143 BFT