PDA

View Full Version : Hercules 'sent distress signal'

Razor61
23rd Mar 2005, 14:20
From bbc.co.uk

Hercules 'sent distress signal'

The RAF Hercules which crashed in Iraq killing 10 British servicemen sent a distress signal eight minutes after take off, an inquest has heard.
Wiltshire coroner David Masters said the aircraft took off at 1622 GMT on 30 January from Baghdad airport en route to a coalition air base in Iraq.

Attempts were made to establish the location of the aircraft at the time of the distress call.

However, nothing else was heard and rescue teams were sent out.

At 1720 GMT the crash site was located about 40kms (25 miles) north west of Baghdad.

Cause investigated

The coroner read out the statement at the opening of the inquest into the deaths of the men.

The crash - the single largest loss of British life in Iraq since military action began in 2003 - happened on the day Iraq held historic elections.

The cause is still being investigated.

The inquest was opened at Trowbridge Magistrates' Court in Wiltshire near the men's base at RAF Lyneham.

The inquest was opened and adjourned on Wednesday.

The men's bodies have now been released for burial.

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
24th Mar 2005, 00:07
from bbc.wiltshire.emotional

Yes, whatever.

We've just finished playing 'Last man standing gets to shag the Armourer.'

Now, the bomb head has told me that I'm repulsive, so my hard earned victory is worthless. Whilst still georgeous, I smell of ketchup, vinegar and someone else's urine.

We all have our different ways of grieving, so knob off or I'll write you a poem.

:}

Cambridge Crash
24th Mar 2005, 06:52
SPHLC

Grief clearly manifests itself in different ways - which you have demonstrated in an obtuse posting. However, I don't believe that you can stop the reporting of the proceedings of a Coroner's Court Hearing. The findings, in due course, are of intense interest to the public, the families and of course to the military and civil aviation industry. It is a sad episode, but let's not cloud independent findings in mawkish censorship.

25th Mar 2005, 08:52
I would like to claim my £5.00 for the most devastating thread-stopping post in the history of Military Aircrew.

A forum for the professionals who fly the non-civilian hardware, and the backroom boys and girls without whom nothing would leave the ground. Army, Navy and Airforces of the World, all equally welcome here.

Cambridge Crash
25th Mar 2005, 09:20
Sorry - SPHLC, your point is???

It was difficult to follow the thrust of your first posting on this thread; your second demonstrates that the former was not a stochastic event!

Point0Five
25th Mar 2005, 13:12
I'm rather confused:

From what I can gather, most posters on this forum are volunteer members of their respective militarys.

One's willingness to freely accept risk within their employment in no way shape or from reduces the tragedy of their passing.

SPHLC

You sir, are a c#*t! :mad:

MightyGem
25th Mar 2005, 14:33
Now, now no need for that, #* or not. :hmm:

BEagle
25th Mar 2005, 14:44
Whilst you might wish to term SPHLC a clot (I assume....), the fact remains that emotions run high over the Iraq C-130 crash.

There are those who wish to take a clinically detached view of the facts and learn the cause; equally, others are still consumed with personal grief.

Suggest that this thread is more relevant to the former whilst the long-running 'Herc down' thread is of more relevance to those personally affected?

25th Mar 2005, 15:36
No need to choke on your Pimms

Point0Five is merely sending me a secret message

He knows me
He has attended my charm school
He has passed the lesson entitled 'The correct etiquette for insulting an hofficer'

But I don't know who he is, so I might be mistaken, in which case he is being rather rude.

hobie
25th Mar 2005, 16:55
Glad that's all sorted out ..... http://www.yorkshirekoi.co.uk/g/clapping.gif

Point0Five
26th Mar 2005, 12:33
I can't believe how rude that Point0Five guys was:*

Sorry, it was me and my post was possibly poorly considered. However, I have serious issues with anybody who offers war poetry... it makes the Eurovision song contest look like quality music.:}