PDA

View Full Version : many jobs going in Kununurra??

Raropilot
22nd Mar 2005, 22:22
Kia ora people!

My first post on PPRune! Am in a bit of a dilemma. I have a CPL and just got single pilot MEIR a month ago. Have 245hrs TT Did all my training at AFS in auckland with W.S. Heard there are quite a few jobs going up around darwin/kununurra ways flying charters in 206/7 and 210's? how true is this? im sure if there are heaps of jobs up there they must get taken pretty fast..... I've tried e-mailing the cheif pilot at Slingair but no reply. Seems to be a well run operation they've got up there and i'd love to become part of it. but dont want to fork out lots of $$ going up there only to find there are no jobs... I was born in aussie and hold an australian passport so immigration is no issue:} Really just looking for my first job flying. turned 19 in jan, is age an issue with most operators? To all those who have been in this situation some advice is much appreciated :uhoh:

thanks in advance

tinpis
23rd Mar 2005, 01:38
Try a search in the Dununda forums use the key word Darwin or Kunnunurra.
Lots of discussion over the years.
They love kiwis up here specially deep fried with Barramundi.

BaronvonChieftain
23rd Mar 2005, 04:09
I believe there's a few jobs going at Coles. Failing that try Chicken Treat. :E

Frickman
23rd Mar 2005, 11:48
...I've tried e-mailing the cheif pilot at Slingair but no reply...

You and hundreds of others. Mate, you've got to get off your ass and drive/fly/walk/swim, or whatever it takes to get to KNX and shake the CP's hand. That's true whether you've got 200 or 2000hrs. Regardless of what anyone tells you this is roughly the right time of the year to go, when the season's about to start. You need to understand that you'll be starting on singles regardless of inst rating and the best that you can hope for is to start off with sweeping the hangar floor. Have a plan, plan to get casual work doing anything just to stay in the area. When you go in to see the CP or Ops Manager dress and act in a manner befitting the position of a company representative, you'd be amazed how many people walk in dressed like ****. Just remember, you need to let them know that your more useful than anyone else so you need to emphasise that it's been your lifelong ambition to be a hangar rat, empty bins, clean toilets etc.

As for well run. They were as dodgy as a bamboo watch when I was there, but that was a while ago.

Good luck, if you do end up there just don't stay too long or you'll go insane, and say G'day to Kim Chick if she's still there.

Oh, I almost forgot. If you offer to fly for free, you'll end up in lake Argyle with concrete shoes. The other thing is that where you trained is not a selling point, we were all trained somewhere. Lastly if you have an instructor rating, unless you're going for an instructing job, I wouldn't push the point.

mnbvcxzqwertyuiop
23rd Mar 2005, 12:23
Mate, all I say is go for it!

I started last year in Kununurra with only 295 hrs. At the end of the season I had 786.3 hrs!

Thanks to Kunnas, I now have a job with a reputable operator out of Williamtown as a First Officer. The twin time I am getting on the Chieftain now, is invaluable. I nearly have 1200 hrs and I should get my Captaincy on the PA31ER shortly. The multi crew and twin experience I have gained, will set me in good steed for any Airline.

It's not true, Aussies' love Kiwis' coming over to Australia and gaining their experience in our jobs.

Spend the money and reap the benefits like I have!:ok:

tinpis
23rd Mar 2005, 21:36
Er...FO...PA31 Chieftan?????

Macrohard
23rd Mar 2005, 22:47
Good to see people have been doing all their homework before separating with Mum & Dad's hard earned !

SsaKcaj
24th Mar 2005, 00:48
mnbvcxzqwertyuiop,

First officer on a chieftain??? What the hell is there to do on a PA31 for a co-pilot? It is an incredbly simple aeroplane for single pilot ops. And what is a PA31ER (I hope you are not refering to a PA31 with nacelle tanks), like a B777-200ER bwahahaha :} .

Sorry to shoot you down mnbvcxzqwertyuiop, I beg to differ on:
The twin time I am getting on the Chieftain now, is invaluable. I nearly have 1200 hrs and I should get my Captaincy on the PA31ER shortly. The multi crew and twin experience I have gained, will set me in good steed for any Airline.

The twin time you are getting NOW (as a co-pilot on a PA31) is not worth the ink in the logbook. Same goes with the "multi-crew experience". Most operators requiring or even looking at your multi-crew experience won't count at anything smaller than a metro, and some won't even count that! Once you're getting command time, it is a different story.

I'd be surprised if you are doing real multi-crew in a PA31. Do you actually take-off and land every other sector from the RHS? Is there actually a full panel in the RHS with navaids? or are you just there because the auto-pilot is cactus.

and with regard to
Spend the money and reap the benefits like I have!

what benefits... I'm positive it ain't the bikkies as an "FO" on a PA31. And what money have you spent?? Please don't tell me you are buying PA31 co-pilot time.:oh: :ouch:

PCFlyer
24th Mar 2005, 06:01
maybe, just maybe mnbvcxzqwertyuiop is winding you lot up :eek:

everybody on here is always so quick to bite ... and bite hard :rolleyes:

EngineOut
24th Mar 2005, 07:01
Problem is PCflyer, I dont know that it is a wind up, I am fairly sure there is a mob in or around willy that does actually use 2 pilots on the Chief. Ssakcaj may be biting in the right spot. :ugh:

Raropilot
24th Mar 2005, 23:14
cheers for the replies...
is mid april a good time or am i too late? have 2 exams to sit next week. I would stay in NZ but there doesnt seem to be much going here for low time pilots other than doing a C CAT instructor rating...no thanks :ugh:

Macrohard
24th Mar 2005, 23:20
If you leave it until June/July the weather will be a lot nicer in that part of the country! ;)

Raropilot
28th Mar 2005, 22:58
yea nicer weather but more pilots and less jobs! Does anyone on here work with any of the kununurra operators at present? whats the employment forecast like :confused:

im-a-pirate2
30th Mar 2005, 03:19
word is alligator are getting another couple of 210's. Slightly less believable word is they are after 20 pilots this season.

mnbvcxzqwertyuiop
30th Mar 2005, 10:49
Raropilot, take my advice and don't listen to the knockers.

The chief pilot says that it wont be long until I'm in Qantas, or at least a good regional outfit like Qantaslink. He says, the multi crew procedures adopted hear are of airline standard and the Qantas recuiting department are aware of this fact.

Whilst I am doing my co-pilot work (and I need remind you, I will have my command shortly...... :ok:), I am getting a good rate on the ICUS.

I am going places..... can you say the same SsaKcaj?????

Yes I may be spending a little now, but very shortly I will reap the rewards even more ;) ....

VRB03KT CAVOK
30th Mar 2005, 10:59
Are you sure this isn't a wind up?

I'd tell you that you'll get into Qantas too if you were paying me...

SsaKcaj
30th Mar 2005, 12:02
Okay... it's got to be a windup:8

30th Mar 2005, 22:01
OH MY, QANTAS couldn't and don't give a red rats arrrrsssse where you got your experience and your PA-31 co-pilot time.

Firstly, you must have their minimum QUALIFICATIONS.
Secondly, you must fit their pysch PROFILE.
Thirdly, you must fly the sim and retain learnt PROCEDURES.

You may have 50000000000 hours co-pilot time and 10000000000000000 hours command time on the PA 31, and still get knocked back by every airline in the world.

Stop making someone else rich for nothing. You have no guarantee of a job anywhere. Paying for an endoresment for a guaranteed job is one thing, but helping a struggling GA operater by paying for your job is absurdity.

Cloud Cutter
30th Mar 2005, 22:16
Someone is deffinitely being had here.... Lets assume for a moment that it's not all of us (although I certainly hope so).

mnbvcxzqwertyuiop - Sitting in the LHS of a cheiftain to gain command practice for a legitimate job is one thing. Paying for worthless co-pilot time that can't even be logged is quite another. Sounds like you're being taken for a ride ol' son.

Frickman
31st Mar 2005, 10:04
Ha..ha..ha..ha..ha...ha..oh. mnbvcxzqwertyuiop, If you truly believe any of that ****e then I can do you a great deal if you'd like to buy the Sydney harbour bridge.

Towering Q
2nd Apr 2005, 06:10
mnbvcxzqwertyuiop....nice work, you're the man.

Sad thing is there are people out there who actually think like that.

SeaplaneOz
8th May 2005, 14:10
Hi Raropilot
Frickman is dead right. To get a job in Kunna's you have to be here. I rang them from Melb with about 2,500 hours seaplane time and was told they would really like me but it wasn't a job offer. I had to go there to get that. So I did and worked there for 2 seasons. I found Craig and Gail, the owners, to be top people, but tough as well. I don't work there now as I found a really cool non flying job here but would work for them again.
I also hear there is a new CP arriving soon. He will be looking for pilots from now to the end of the season most likely but the earlier you arrive in the season the better your chances. Age is no biggy as some of the guys look like they should still be at school to me. Alligators ops manual even has a kind of welcome note in it for new pilots just entering commercial aviation so will take minimum hours. Be prepared to hang around and be useful before you get a job however as it counts.
Slingair have higher hours requirements which I think are 800 or thereabouts but same deal other than that.
Good luck.

eh you! Pilot!
9th May 2005, 00:08
mnbvcxzqwertyuiop............. its pricks like you that screw pilots over in terms of the award:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ............. just why the f:mad: k do you guys do it to us:ugh: ........... its bad enough when someone works for free.......... worse when they go into debt to work as well!

ace4bars
9th May 2005, 07:59
Hey,

Only I may post G-ups in this forum

Good day

Ace

multime
10th May 2005, 20:50
Vacancy for low hour pilot just listed on afap.org.au.10-May
Flying Kakadu scenics @ Katherine george/ charter etc.

Just thought i,d let anyone know who is serious?,
:ok:
multi.