PDA

View Full Version : Emigrating to train/work in Australia

jimmydacraw
22nd Mar 2005, 19:57
Hi,

Hopefully I'm in the correct forum.

I have a UK (JAA) PPL with about 100hrs and want to train commercially.

I have the opportunity to either do it in the UK with the end result being a JAR ATPL (Frozen) or the more tempting offer of moving to Australia and doing it there. I obviously know it won't be JAR but CASA.

I have visited Oz 3 times now and the last time I built up about 30 hours P1 on an Archer. Can anyone shed any light on whether this sounds like a good idea? I would love to live in Australia but am concerned about the ins and outs of a Brit coming in to the country to train to be a commercial pilot with views of employment there.

I am unsure of Visa options as the Department of Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs doesn't have the clearest of web sites. Is there a route I can take to get a Visa that will allow me to undertake my training there and then pursue my career goals there also (as a citizen)?

Ideally I would love to get the licence and then work as a bush pilot or similar with aspirations to get a job with an airline at the end of the day.

For the record I am a single 26yr old male that with 4 months in the gym would pass the medical ;)

Thanks
Jimmydacraw

AIRWAY
23rd Mar 2005, 12:18
Hi,

I have more or less the same plans as you but please bear in mind that the immigration department is currently reviewing the option to migrate as an Aircraft Pilot to Australia.

Anyway before lodging your application after you have qualified, you would still need to meet the other immigration requirements ie: Job experience over a period of time and meet the overall skills points which, if im note mistaken it currently stands at 120.

Regards,
Pedro

UnderneathTheRadar
24th Mar 2005, 05:26
From someone looking to leave Oz for a flying career I suggest you do some research before deciding that it's the right way to go for a flying career. Of course I don't know exactly what your aims and aspirations are but Australia is a net exporter of pilots (just browse this website!).

But if you do decide it's for you then some info.
- as you are less than 30 (I think thats the age) then you are able to apply for a 1 year working holiday visa which will at least get you in for a while and possibly enough experience/points if you combine that possibly with a student visa to cover the initial period or even a tourist visa for as long as possible. You'd probably have to go to NZ for a period while transitioning visa types.
- the only problem with this approach is that at the end of 24 months (or so) there is no guarantee of being able to stay if you couldn't then get a work visa which Pedro has discussed below.

UTR

Piltdown Man
25th Mar 2005, 17:53
I'd really forget about a job flying for a living in Oz. There are that many people with CPL's etc. that you would have to be REALLY lucky to get a job. However, I thought that the quality of your average instructor Down-under (Jandakot to be precise) was superb! (Having said that, I did get lucky in TAS!).