PDA

View Full Version : "Undressing" for security screaning

Rwy in Sight
20th Mar 2005, 18:10
About a month ago I flew from a new european (E.U.) airport to a domestic destination. While I was going through the metal detector I was asked to remove my baseball cap. At the first time I downplayed the request but the second time I did remove it. The staff could not answer why I had to do that.

Could some one explain it please? I come to think that maybe in the next wave of upgrading the security measures big breasted ladies would be asked to travel braless as not to set off the metal detectors... :)

Thanks for your answers

redfield
20th Mar 2005, 18:58
What about Kate Moss? What happens to her?:ok:

wub
21st Mar 2005, 11:17
I was asked to take my boots off at Keflavik airport before going through the scanner. The boots went on a tray and were X-rayed (many months prior to Richard Reid and his 'shoe bomb'

bluebird121
21st Mar 2005, 11:38
:D the buzzer always goes off when i go through the security gate.. and no doubt it i will in a few weeks..but what sets it off.is it because i have my belt on or is it set to go off at random.or is it the jewellery i wear? I have my belly button peirced also so would that effect it?:O

Re-Heat
21st Mar 2005, 11:39
Perhaps as hats are not appropriate attire inside!

Probably to check you don't have anything underneath...

ALLDAYDELI
21st Mar 2005, 12:34
What annoys me is dual standards. The part of FRA which BA uses is very very strict, more thorough than anywhere in the USA.Go to another part of FRA services by the national carrier and security is thorough but not intimidating, nor do u have to get undressed.

This procedure seemed to have been standard for anyone travelling ex-FRA on BA. This is twice it happened to me.

All I can say is that you get a good going over!

Anyone else have anything to say on this matter.

3Greens
21st Mar 2005, 12:41
ALLDAYDELI,

BA pay for extra security screening at many airports worldewide, FRA being one such case. The reason for doing so is when it's deemed that security provoded by the state/airport is not up to BA's requirements.

ShyTorque
21st Mar 2005, 14:08
On my last trip to the good old USA I finished up shoeless, beltless and finally, watchless. If the beeper had gone off a third time no doubt I would have heard the snap of an impending rubber glove... :ooh:

Avman
22nd Mar 2005, 10:44
To avoid hassle, I always remove coins/belt/watch and put them in my hand baggage before I get to the security area. I also remove my jacket. I go through first time. No hassle. As I've lost weight in recent months, I just have to be sure that the belt is the first thing that goes on again :D

Onan the Clumsy
23rd Mar 2005, 20:01
would be asked to travel braless as not to set off the metal detectors Not necessary, they make bras with plastic underwire for just this reason.

btw, S.J Perleman wrote a story about a man who stole a frozen chicken from a supermarket by putting it under his hat. Unfortunately, the checkout line was so slow that he fainted from the cold :}

The one up side about the new security measures is that you get to see a lot of yound ladies holding leather belts and looking not a little angry. I used to have to pay good money for that :ok:

GrahamK
24th Mar 2005, 13:26
Had to take my belt off returning from TFS last year
Also had to take off my cap going to TFS from MAN

The SSK
24th Mar 2005, 15:00
I've seen a girl with medium-length hair being asked to lift it up at the back to show she had nothing hidden underneath it.

Rwy in Sight
24th Mar 2005, 21:40
What's the point about a metal detector if it can't check under hair, a cloth cap or...

Still looking for a bra removing moment! Unfortunately not too many big breasted ladies around..

Rwy in Sight
By the way, can a person (possibly a guy) could ask to be searched by a lady?

Onan the Clumsy
25th Mar 2005, 00:10
One word: Matron!

bluebird121
25th Mar 2005, 12:12
:) Sorry RWY in Sight...but men search men and ladies search ladies....;)

Hen Ddraig
26th Mar 2005, 09:27
The reason youare asked to remove your baseball hat is to allow the CCTV to get a picture of your face. Just the same type of security that Tesco apply at their store entrances.

Time to spare, go by air.

Hen Ddraig

bluebird121
26th Mar 2005, 10:02
:D I will let you know when i come back from majorca if i get stopped..yet again..but having said that it is for our own security and safety and so i do not mind in the least. it gives you peace of mind.:D