PDA

View Full Version : Epson Printer and wasted ink

Arkroyal
20th Mar 2005, 17:19
I bought one of these things with separate ink colour tanks in the hope that it would be less wasteful.

Gets through them in double quick time, and refuses to print, even when the tanks are obviously not empty.

I heard a rumour that there is software about which cuts down the waste.

Is there?

willby
20th Mar 2005, 17:49
hi Arkroyal

The cartridges in question are chipped and this chip on detecting a low level sends a signal to prevent the printer operating. As you say sometimes this happens with lots of ink still remaining. There is a commercial chip resetter available which will reset the chip and allow the printer to function again. I have posted a link where you can purchase this item. It is probably only worth it though if you intend to refill the cartridge yourself when it eventually does fully empty.
Regards
Willby

http://www.inkjetcartridges.com/epson-resetter-CREPSON.html

Techman
20th Mar 2005, 18:11
You are right, there is software about that will allow you to freeze or reset the ink counter.

This one for example. (http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml)

innuendo
20th Mar 2005, 18:30
I believe that one of the reasons Epson give for inhibitting the printer at low ink levels is to protect the print heads from being run dry. Apparently this will damage the heads.
I also believe that they will dispute warranty issues (or attempt to) if they think this is the case.
Sounds plausable, although I wonder just how much ink they need left over for protection ?????????????

Arkroyal
23rd Mar 2005, 16:17
Thanks, everyone.

I'll get down to trying your suggestions when I have some time.

Silly me! I thought that the separate ink tanks would be more economical than the old single jobby. Odd that thay all run out together, isn't it?

Arkroyal
19th Apr 2005, 16:24
well, I'm getting nowhere with this.

Willby's stuff doesn't support the C86, and the Techman software can't see the printer.

It seems that the printer uses ink just being switched on and off, and at current rates is costing a cartridge for about 10 pages.

Not good

Thanks for the suggestuions. Any more?