PDA

View Full Version : extinguisants used in cargo hold fires

purplemonkydishwashr
18th Mar 2005, 00:21
Can anyone tell me what type of fire extinguishant is commonly used in cargo hold fires. (systems exam looms!)
Thanks in advance

hoss
19th Mar 2005, 03:39
Pick the answer that has BCF or Halon.

Good luck:)

DeltaSix
19th Mar 2005, 06:45
Isn't BCF the fire extinguisher that sucks out all the air in that confined space to kill the fire but which renders it dangerous to the person fighting the fire if there is no sufficient source of air to replace the air ?

I wouldn't use it in the cockpit nor cargo hold if I were you if it is a confined space.

I'd pick the normal ABE fire extinguisher for wood, paper and electrical fire.

D6

7gcbc
19th Mar 2005, 10:22
Halon is also toxic above 5-6% per volume, the good news is that it delivers a narcotic hit (Yipeeee), the bad news is it can cause serious nervous system damage (uh-oh).

Capt Claret
19th Mar 2005, 10:49
DeltaSix

I've never seen a non BCF fire extiguisher in an aeroplane. Ever.

MOR
19th Mar 2005, 11:06
Well you haven't been around much, have you... :}

We used to carry a water jobbie on the 146. Very useful for gash cans and the like. Of course we also used a jug of orange juice on occasion...

nzmarty
19th Mar 2005, 14:32
HALON would be my answer. JAL still have H2O in the pax cabin on their 74/2's - not for their whiskey either....

DeltaSix
19th Mar 2005, 21:09
Capt Claret,

The BCF I believe has been banned for quite sometime now for domestic use as it causes hole in the ozone layer and if there is one in an aircraft now then its beyond me. Sure its a good fire extinguishant but it can and will suck out the air which might cause difficulty in breathing for the user or the pilot is he/she uses it in the cockpit during a fire. Electrical fires are dangerous as it is and might complicate the problem if the pilot suddenly will be gasping for air because of the BCF and all he/she can inhale is the smoke from the electrical fire.

D6

blueloo
19th Mar 2005, 22:08
All QF (mainline) are BCF only equipped (for hand extinguishers, i presume it is halon in cargo and engines). Airlines in Aust have an exemption to the banning of BCF, primarily because it is so effective/versatile (only not used on magnesium fires) on a Jet and so infrequently used (apparently). QF used to have water extinguishers too (manufactured by Kiddie?) but have not had them for a while.

purplemonkydishwashr
19th Mar 2005, 23:34
Thanks all. Is dry powder ever used?

Bill Smith
20th Mar 2005, 00:22
Eastern also carries BCF extinquishers. Which is probably part of the reason that we have to use PBE's when fire fighting.
I thought that the exemption was for all aircraft but I stand to be corrected.

N.B Bromo Chloro Flouromethane is also known as Halon 1211 is a suspected neurotoxicant.

Neurotoxicants

Exposure to chemical substances can cause adverse effects on the nervous system (Neurotoxicity). Chemicals toxic to the central nervous system can induce confusion, fatigue, irritability, and other behavioral changes. Exposure to methyl mercury and lead cause central nervous system toxicity, and can also cause degenerative diseases of the brain (encephalopathy). Chemicals toxic to the peripheral nervous sytem affect how nerves carry sensory information and motor impulses from the brain to the rest of the body. The organic solvents carbon disulfide, n-hexane,and trichloroethylene can harm the peripheral nervous system, resulting in weakness in the lower limbs, tingling in the limbs (paresthesia), and loss of coordination.

The Voice
20th Mar 2005, 02:08
Clarrie,

We didn't have BCF onboard for the other core business of your mob, but I know that they are onboard a nice little jet tootling around this fine land .. and PBE is carried with it as well!

Sheep Guts
20th Mar 2005, 02:18
Halon is used Airliner Cargo Holds. Cargo fire is the worst you can have, you need a good agent Halon is the best on the market, especially if you only get 1or 2 shots to kill it.

Sheep:sad:

7gcbc
20th Mar 2005, 04:10
SG,

That makes sense then, because I recall from training (non aviation related) with the use of Halon was that the area had to be evacuated, sealed and entered only with breathing apparatus or a latent time of extractor fans working (20 mins I think at the site i worked), a solution that is obviously not practical with cargo hold fires I imagine.

I cannot imagine Halon being used in the Passenger cabin ?

FYI it was a large Underground Mainframe Installation in the UK in the mid '80s.

In any event, we'd just press the big Yellow button, call the firies and go to the pub :D

Capt Claret
20th Mar 2005, 14:04
BCF = bromochlorodifluoromethane = Halon

BCF is still permitted in aviation as there is no suitable replacement. Whilst non toxic in itself it does displace oxygen thus there is a risk of suffocation.

From my perspective, I'd rather use BCF/Halon on a fire and bugger the ozone layer, than burn a hole in the aircraft and crash.

This link (http://www.orionsafety.com.au/product/triodideextinguisher/) shows a product that claims to be a replacement for BCF.

MOR I suppose not, though 20 years isn't all that short a time! ;)