PDA

View Full Version : Any ex rankers?

SACrIGGER
17th Mar 2005, 18:26
Hi guys, are there any ex rankers (airmen) out there? If so I would love to hear your story of you made it to a commision or as NCA. Ian Dickson.

jayteeto
17th Mar 2005, 18:43
Hundreds of us made the transition. More than 20 on my IOT alone. In the mid 80s, being an ex airman seemed a better deal than having a degree at Biggin Hill.

Load Gone
17th Mar 2005, 19:43
90% (if not more) of the NCA on 47 Sqn are ex Ground Crew

shandyman
18th Mar 2005, 02:17
Plenty of us flying around in the old lumbering brown turd from ISK. If you want or need specifics of the whole process feel free to PM me!!

Widger
18th Mar 2005, 07:07
Oh God.....Don't say we have those from the lower deck in this forum!!!!!!!!

500days2do
18th Mar 2005, 07:48
yes indeed...sometimes the old footstools are allowed to speak up...beggin ya pardon sir'''' :}

TheBeeKeeper
18th Mar 2005, 07:56
I applied for the Philip Sassoon Flying Award whilst in my last week of fitters course at Cosford.

Posted to Coningsby, three weeks later was at Cranwell for the selection process.... two weeks after that, was told by OC PSF that I had been offered Engineer (wanted to tell them where to put it, and that I wanted pilot or nothing.... now after 4 attempt at a Branch change and in the current climate, I guess I made the correct choice!)

From filling in a CV to apply for the award to being asked to fill in an application form for formalities was 8 weeks!!!!

Now considering my ATPL, and slightly off topic, but why can only pilots apply for ATPL ground exams on the Enhanced Learning Credits??? These credits can be claimed after you leave the RAF, who is to say what I will be doing when I leave!!!

TBK

vecvechookattack
18th Mar 2005, 08:02
are you telling me that some of our Officers are not Gentlemen? Good God, Whatever next

engineer(retard)
18th Mar 2005, 08:23
Funny how the popeyes can quickly grasp the gay nettle but have such a problem with the social divide. I suppose it's to do with tradition, must be tempting to look back when there is nothing to look forward to.

Back to the main question, having jumped the fence on 2 occassions; once commissioning and the other to become a civvy, I have to say that just like an RN officers wife, I wondered what all the fuss was about. If you do make the transition be prepared to throw away a few preconcieved ideas about commisioned life. If you have achieved any non-commissioned rank, be prepared to start at the bottom again. Crap will still roll downhill. That said, you will gain access to a much wider world than you probably imagine at the moment. It's well worth making the transition.

regards

Retard

Skylark4
18th Mar 2005, 08:31
A very large number of Gentlemen are not officers.

Mike W

K9 Friendly Re-Tread
18th Mar 2005, 13:58
Ian, using the dDirectory I have found your tel details but thought I would share my experience, like the others, rather than call you!

Rollercoaster is what I would describe applying for a commission as; a series highs (you are supremely confident in your own ability) and lows (you are supremely confident in the OASC finding too many flaws in your character), but above all, an exhilarating experience.
Timing is also a factor when considering the current climate of reducing manpower levels.
Give it a go; you'll only regret it if you don't!

I could give you an indepth run down of my own experience, like everyone else can, but it pays to script your own story.

PS Remember-Any pressure you experience during the route to commissioning, and beyond, is self-induced ;-}

weeny
2nd Apr 2005, 07:17
I was there...Oily coveralls...Little or no job satisfaction...Hand full of warm gravel once a day...

Give it a go...Aim for the top first time around then let OASC knock you down to whatever they think you can do or, in these cutback orientated days, what is left! At least this way you are still vaguely in the driving seat right up until the point you have to commit and sign something.

Only looked back a couple of times..To shudder

Good luck whatever you do!!

Iceicleman
2nd Apr 2005, 17:55
This Wg Cdr 'Rupert' type in a cosy little office in Whitehall rang an ex ranker Flt Lt in Germany one afternoon, and after the pleasantries were completed asked how WO 'X' was getting on... Flt Lt said he was just across the corridor, and then called out, '' WO 'X', the Wing Co is asking how you are?'' ''Oh fine thank you very much'', came the reply.
Wg Co asked another question which was relayed across, ''Wg Co is asking, is'nt it time you applied for a commission?'' WO replied, '' No thanks, I'm going to remain a professional!!!''. Upon hearing this, the Wg Co was struck dumb, for about 3 minutes, quite speechless.