PDA

View Full Version : STARs into EGBB.

retard-retard
17th Mar 2005, 14:40
Was flying LEBL-EGBB today and was attempting to plan my STAR into RWY33 however, they look very strange :confused:

I was flying a PSS A320 for MYL and as I'm sure you know you can use the plan mode coupled with the MCDU to verify a logical STAR into the approach. I printed of the 'STARs via GROVE' from the NATS site to read in conjuntion with the MCDU plan and, they both tied in.

My query is after leaving HON for EBONY and then EBONY for GROVE this places you virtually 5 miles down the final approach path (and practically next to it) so, you then have to fly back on yourself to capture the LOC at a distance of 10 NM's DME from the thresh hold to set up for an ILS landing.

Is this right or are pilots normally vectored from the HON VOR into the airport for LOC capture and are EBONY/GROVE only really used for holding purposesduring busy periods?

Cheers.

Mark.

Edit: in fact after checking, the HON VOR places you 5 NM's down the approach path too!?

Fried_Chicken
17th Mar 2005, 16:54
Depending on traffic, normally Birmingham ATC would offer you straight in. Basically, London Control will probably put you direct HON & then pass you off to Birmingham who will then vector you towards the loc' without going via HON. However, if Birmingham (or Coventry which also follow the STARs for Birmingham) has traffic to affect which means you routing via HON, then expect to leave HON around 240, then fly downwind & then turn base at around 10DME.

EBONY & GROVE are usually only used during "peak" times at Birmingham & are usualy used for holding although you may be asked to follow the STAR but get vectored towards the loc from EBONY if traffic allows.

Going back to a point above, Coventry traffic also uses the same STARs as Birmingham traffic so you may be kept slightly higher then you'd like to be if Coventry is on runway 05 & Brum on 33

Somebody else could probably make the above a bit clearer but I hope it helps abit

Fried Chicken

retard-retard
17th Mar 2005, 17:49
Cheers,

yeah that's what I thought, been listening to my scanner this afternoon and pretty much all traffic has been given a vector after reaching HON.

Thanks again.

Mark.

Fried_Chicken
17th Mar 2005, 22:51
A number of flights arriving into Birmingham from Spain, Portugal & Ireland arrive from the west (outside CAS) routing BCN-GROVE (previous routing BHD-EXMOR-BCN or STU-BCN). These flights, after leaving CAS are handed over to London Military ATC who route them towards GROVE & then hand them over to Birmingham ATC. B'ham ATC then will probably ask them to route direct GROVE (or sometimes HON) & then vector them towards final app.

Fried Chicken