PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon Trainers!

Razor61
17th Mar 2005, 09:23
http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/eurofighter-trainers/index.cfm

Anyone want a pair of 'trendy' (ahem) Typhoon trainers?

c-bert
17th Mar 2005, 09:28
The mind boggles. Who the hell though people would buy those!?!

BEagle
17th Mar 2005, 09:41
"It's a trainer with attitude, style and presence."

But will it have sufficient yoof-appeal to be 'kewl' and thus an object of desire amongst the slouching, sullen oiks who wear such things?

What will be the next 'brand marketing' idea? An RAF March ringtone for kiddyfones?

ZH875
17th Mar 2005, 09:48
Definately one for the Harrier pilots ...

Razor61
17th Mar 2005, 09:59
The Iraqis will love them.
The 'insurgents' all wear the same tracksuit bottoms so why not get matching trainers!!

SirToppamHat
17th Mar 2005, 09:59
I assumed this was some sort of wind-up/dig at the Typhoon until I followed the link.

Is this what we're coming to? Allowing the crest to be used to sell trainers to offset our costs?

I am astonished!

STH

frodo_monkey
17th Mar 2005, 10:08
Someone please tell me we aren't going to get issued these pieces of :mad: to match our new rucksacks...

:yuk:

SirToppamHat
17th Mar 2005, 10:13
Just to prove I am not just a moaning old git... the rucksacks are actually quite useful pieces of kit; reasonably well made and very useful for sports gear at least. They certainly seem to be pretty popular with the guys where I work.

Not quite so sure about the new jackets - pretty good for keeping the wind and rain out! Is it me or do they come in a variety of colours?

STH

frodo_monkey
17th Mar 2005, 10:25
Theres no denying that the rucksacks aren't ACTUALLY that bad (apart from the gold 'Royal Air Farce' on the back), but I'd much rather see the money spent on things we actually need - like aircraft spares etc...

I'm also not a particular fan of getting d*icked with Orderly Officer duties if I choose not to wear it, as was happening at a certain Scottish fighter base when I left!

:mad:

chromate
17th Mar 2005, 10:35
I would have loved a pair of those trainers -- when I was about 6 or 7. :O

BootFlap
17th Mar 2005, 10:58
Oh come on now, surely this will be great PR. Just imagine the press coverage when the first spotty youth gets mugged for these trainers! I for one will be ordering mine immediately, ZH875, you are soooooooooo right!
:confused:

C130 Techie
17th Mar 2005, 11:31
1. The new rucksack isnt big enough to carry them

2. The new rucksack apparently wasnt designed for carrying stuff in.

This might explain why I am on my third one in about a month.

totalwar
17th Mar 2005, 11:36
Please Please Please don't tell me that the RAF get issued their "own" rucksacks.

No bloomin wonder there isn't enough money to keep your airfields open !!!!!

FOMere2eternity
17th Mar 2005, 12:25
I also believe it will be contrary to orders to carry anything but the new rucksack while in uniform from May.

Clearly we've ironed out our really serious issues and have time to concentrate on this kind of thing :hmm:

Lionel Lion
17th Mar 2005, 12:27
Those trainers are just brilliant - can't stop laughing at the pic. God I wish they'd issue them.

BootFlap
17th Mar 2005, 12:36
FOM

I also believe it will be contrary to orders to carry anything but the new rucksack while in uniform from May.

I assume I will be issued a man to carry my briefcase then! But will he have his own rucksack? Who would carry that for him?

However, I can just see Sir Jock sauntering into Whitehall with his rucksack on!!

Onan the Clumsy
17th Mar 2005, 13:57
Offset by the trademark red, white and blue RAF Roundel So if an enemy spy put on a British uniform to infiltrate a base, could he be tried for trademark infringement before being shot?

BEagle
17th Mar 2005, 14:52
I seem to recall that the Mods (as in Mods and Rockers, nothing to do with the box wallahs of Whitehall) adopted the roundel as their own symbol about 40 years ago?

Big 'L' 266, scooters, parkas, etc etc.....

FJJP
17th Mar 2005, 15:49
If you are only allowed to carry the new rucksack in uniform, does that mean that briefcases are out?

BEagle
17th Mar 2005, 16:10
Presumably brightly coloured watchstraps, carrier bags, briefcases, laptops and anything too big to put into the rucksack will be verboten as well?

Truly there must be some masters of triv around these days if that's all they have to worry about...

Almost as ridiculous as the absurd 'Thrombo' who once decreed that cyclists shouldn't wear brightly coloured items (e.g. safety helmets) when in uniform.

"Sad accident, sir. Bloke was crushed on a dark morning by a driver who never saw him"
"Humpf. But he was correctly dressed in accordance with Stn Standing Orders"
"Which makes you a contributory factor then, Sir?"

Mind you, at the Covert Oxonian Aerodrome, many people had to carry Rucksack for years......:mad:

Fire 'n' Forget
17th Mar 2005, 16:23
Our SRO's state that all 'Sports style bags' will be banned from the 1st of May, so presumably everything else is still ok. It also states that the 'new' rucksack should be carried in a way that ensures full compliments can be given. He he makes me laugh did they think that everyone was going to be walking around swinging rucksacks in their right hands at each other:hmm:

WE Branch Fanatic
17th Mar 2005, 16:51
If I buy a pair of these trainers, will they arrive a long time after the intended delivery date and cost twice a much?

Onan the Clumsy
17th Mar 2005, 17:39
If you put yellow laces in them, do they become ADGB trainers? :8

BEagle
17th Mar 2005, 17:57
In true collaborative style, the left shoe will be built in UK, the right in Spain. Pairs will be integrated in France and forwarded by Beluga to Germany whence they will be despatched to lucky customers.

Strict quality control and tracking measures will be taken to ensure that symmetric pairs are properly matched under an independent multi-national auditing team.

Based in Bristol.....

A "Trendy Tornado" spokesman commented "Of course our different manufacturing centres know the conversion factors between UK and European shoe sizes..... Don't be so silly!"

FJ2ME
17th Mar 2005, 21:36
I can't believe my eyes. Amidst all the financial disasters going on at the moment and some pea-brain has seen fit to waste tax-payers' money on bl**dy rucksacks!! All because some station commander or other doesn't like the troops to go around with gym kit in any old bag. (At least some people go to the gym) We really have lost the plot if anyone with a service number considers this to be a worthwhile exercise. And, even though I haven't seen one, I can imagine that they're are just great in the quality stakes... What a waste of time and resources!

ZH875
17th Mar 2005, 22:00
The quality of the rucksacks is reasonable, and at least we can thank the pea-brain for supplying something that we have been buying ourselves for years. Lets face it, anything is better than the 'Plank in the Bag' holdall, even better when issued.

The trick the MOD is missing out on is that they could probably sell these things in their thousands at airshows, the spotty little plane spotters will buy anything, the profits made would probably pay for all the ones issued to us.

Maybe, FJ2ME, you should see the item concerned before slagging them off. The services pay tax as well as you, so why shouldn't we have service issued rucksacks to carry our service issued gym kit around in.

edited due to being a plonker

frodo_monkey
17th Mar 2005, 23:39
ZH875,

You USE your service-issued gym kit?! That stuff is about as good as the new rucksack... i.e. as useful as t*ts on fish! All of it made in a sweatshop in a third world country no doubt.

;)

FJ2ME
18th Mar 2005, 08:36
ZH875, I agree with the sales idea- I'm sure the kids at air shows would love them. Here my agreement ends.

The fact that you even consider using 'service issue gym kit' is frankly a cause for concern. I suggest you ask your nearest PTI to point out the merits of commercially-available running shoes versus the Hi-Tec Silver Shadow. Ever seen an athlete on TV using those trainers that we get? No. Why? Because they're crap and would probably cause long term joint damage if you did any amount of running in them. Why do you think that they do not insist you wear them at Cranditz, that bastion of 'thou shalt wear what you're given'?

Whilst I accept that I haven't seen the rucksacks, I don't need to, as it is the fact that cash, time and resources has been wasted on this when people are losing their jobs that I find offensive. Christ we can't even afford enough body armour to go round in Iraq! If you still think rucksacks are more useful than jobs, bullet-proof armour etc, then I would suggest that you, sir, are a waste of oxygen and rations. I couldn't care less if the rucksacks were made from ultra light carbon fibre, made the tea and glow in the dark, its still a needless waste of time and money.

Perhaps you would like to pile out of an APC into an insurgent riot wearing your shiny new rucksack instead of kevlar, see how far you get.

BEagle
18th Mar 2005, 08:51
Well said, FJ2ME!

What's a gym?

Say again s l o w l y
18th Mar 2005, 09:37
After your time Beags, They were called drill halls then!

STANDTO
18th Mar 2005, 12:19
What ever happened to the old grey/blue washed out kitbags you were issued with at Cranwell. Loaded with books, PT kit and the like, the march from no 2 Mess to Whittle Hall was a killer on the arms.

The " FLIGHT! CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHMS" when swapping bags from left to right hand, in synchro, were awesome!

ZH875
18th Mar 2005, 12:25
FJ2ME, I agree with you.

Apologies for the 'bad language'.

4fitter
18th Mar 2005, 12:27
Haven't got one. Do go to the gym nearly every day. My kit is stored in the lockers we have bought as a security measure. Wet towel transported back to the office in a Tesco carrier bag. Suspect that when issued, my rucksack will end up in the same place as my CS95 Royal Air Force badges !

FJ2ME
18th Mar 2005, 12:36
875: Fair enough, no offence taken. Sympathetic edit noted.

Now, how do i order some of these trainers...?;)

N Arslow
18th Mar 2005, 21:22
The RN ones will also be tested for walking on water:yuk:

moggiee
19th Mar 2005, 13:00
For the first time since I left the RAF, I am now truly glad that I'm a civvie!

What a load of w@nk!

D-IFF_ident
19th Mar 2005, 21:52
Are they available already?

Does it say somewhere in the smallprint "Please allow up to 8-9 years for delivery"?

Ghostflyer
21st Mar 2005, 06:25
Bl**dy Marvellous!! They will be just the thing to wear at the Gary Glitter release bash down in the weedosphere. Before I get my order in does anyone know if they come with boot flaps?

Ghost:bored:

TEEEJ
21st Mar 2005, 08:08
BEagle wrote:

I seem to recall that the Mods (as in Mods and Rockers, nothing to do with the box wallahs of Whitehall) adopted the roundel as their own symbol about 40 years ago?

The MoD tried to register the roundel. The court case failed.

http://www.musicjournal.org/03Decemberlawupdates.html

"In the United Kingdom, the Ministry of Defence has filed an application at the UK Patents Office to register the RAF's red, white and blue 'target' or roundel as a trade mark. Registration will include use in clothing. A number of fashion companies have opposed the registration saying that the roundel entered the public domain in the 60s when the 'mods' started using the same red, white and blue roundel as a symbol. The owner of the Lambretta clothing company pointed out that the target device had been used since and is closely associated with the style of dress worn by mods, with the band The Who and with the film Quadrophenia which starred Sting and Phil Daniels. The RAF (Royal Air Force) still use the roundel on their military aircraft."

http://www.musicjournal.org/04Marchlawupdates.html

http://www.farrer.co.uk/Default.aspx?sID=822&cID=473&ctID=11

tu chan go
21st Mar 2005, 13:31
Don't you guys see the link?

RAF issues new rucksacks and bans the use of all other rucksacks.

New shoes available for purchase (note, PURCHASE at £49.99).

RAF bans all other shoes for exercising in.

New shoes will not fit into new rucksack.

No-one uses gym anymore.

RAF sells all gym equipment as surplus to requirements.

RAF sacks all PTIs (saving money).

Money saved on PTIs and gym upkeep spent on new rucksacks.

RAF bans all other ..........

Aeronut
21st Mar 2005, 15:22
Oh to be a PTI presented with a recruit/cadet wearing those trainers - Might just take a detour on the cross country through a ditch full of sh!te