PDA

View Full Version : ebay reserve not met : what next

Daysleeper
16th Mar 2005, 16:35
So having bid for a PC on ebay I am the highest bidder when the metaphorical hammer fell. However there was a reserve price and we didnt reach it. I know the seller is no FORCED to sell it at that price but they still can if they want to.

Anyone know what happens next.

In the real world I would nip over to the auctioneer and see if we could come to a compromise or at least try and see how far off the reserve we were.

But with ebay being full of warnings about not doing deals off ebay whats the protocal?

Should I email the seller, or wait for them to contact me?

Pablo Martin
16th Mar 2005, 19:18
I have had a similar thing happen a few times.

Chances are if the has gone for below the reserve then the reserve is set to high!

If I were you I would send an quick email asking if he still interested in selling for the price you won at?

Thats not strictly against the regulations of ebay, as long as he puts you as the winner and you pay through ebay/paypal or he re-lists and you buy it now!

Hope that helps

PM

goates
16th Mar 2005, 19:50
Besides ebay not getting any money when you do a deal outside of it, the main issue is that you won't be covered by them if things go sour. No different than doing a deal with your neighbour to buy his old car for your kid.

As Pablo mentions though, if it didn't meet the reserve I would suspect the price was too high in the first place. Unless there is some reason you really want that computer, you could just move on to the next auction.

Coconutty
16th Mar 2005, 20:31
If you post the Item number on here then "we" can take a look at it ( even though the auction has ended it is still possible to search for the item by its Item number and see the advert ) and "we" can then give a better idea of value etc...:ok:

Evo
17th Mar 2005, 06:11
ISTR that I've been sent a 'second chance' offer when I was highest bidder but below reserve - that way it's all through eBay (not that that's worth that much if things go wrong...! :mad: ).

If you haven't heard anything, then email the seller - don't ask, don't get.

Daysleeper
17th Mar 2005, 06:39
Cheers for the advice.

I have mailed the seller to say the offer still stands but if he(she) is going to relist then perhaps he could let me know.
I've had a look and think I offered a fair price based on similar spec systems that have sold in the last couple of weeks so if I dont hear anything in a day or so I'll bid on another one.

oh well no reply

ebay item number 5172541649 for those interested. Cheers for the advice anyhow folks.