PDA

View Full Version : Preparation for CPL/Multi/IR

naughtybutnice6792
16th Mar 2005, 14:17
I am going to start my CPL fairly soon, then hopefully leading onto the Multi and IR.

Is there anything that anyone can recommend reading or doing, (besides practising instrument flying,scans,etc) in preparation for these courses?

I have time on my hands at the moment and I might as well make good use of it!

Thankyou!

Nice flaps
16th Mar 2005, 15:19
For the IR make yourself very familiar with the approach plate layout so that you know exactly where to look for the information you want. I also strongly recommend that if you know most of the places you are likely to use for your training and test then learn these specific plates and profiles inside out so that by the time you come to actually fly them they will be second nature.
For the CPL make sure you are up to speed with your flight planning/performance but otherwise make sure your flying isn't rusty (a lot of people have just spent the last 6 months or more doing their groundschool) and go into it with the right attitude, which it sounds like you have.
For the multi revise the implications of asymmetric flight and also fuel systems, which can be a complicated beast in certain light twins and often neglected. Make sure that you fully understand these situations rather than just knowing what actions to take.
For all of the above, ask your training school to send you the checklists for the aircraft you will be using and learn them well, but particularly the numbers (power settings, speeds etc).
Hope this helps. Good luck,
NF

CAT3C AUTOLAND
18th Mar 2005, 05:13
Build up your thigh muscles for all that assymetric work you are going to be doing on the twin :D.

May also be worth doing a search all this one, there have been a couple of threads asking the same questions to which myself and others have responded to.

Cheers.

Malc
18th Mar 2005, 09:25
If you've already decided which school to use, ask if you can back-seat an existing student, so that you get a feel for what's covered during the lessons.

(Don't forget to repay the favour when you're the student!)

High Wing Drifter
18th Mar 2005, 12:50
I am finding these useful:

http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=754

http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=755