PDA

View Full Version : last leg Scheduled flight cancelled... options ?

7gcbc
16th Mar 2005, 09:31
Hi All,

Taking family and screamers x2 to Europe in a few weeks on a fairly tight schedule, return leg from HK with Qantas has been cancelled, (even though we booked and paid over 2 months ago).

Travel Agency wants to know what we want to do?

Options are a 12 hour layover in HK - Not really fun with 2 screamers under 3 after an 11 hour flight from Rome.

Leave 14 hours later from Rome, same as above, puts us back in OZ a day later, I lose a further day of work (self employed not good)

Leave 1 day early, and lose the day in Rome we have already paid for ?

Leave same time, but fly back to LHR to pick up QF from LHR and arrve back in OZ 7 (3 to UK, 4 layover in LHR) hours later than we would have ?

Questions ?

Can we get (anyone) to pay for flight back to UK to cover expenses ? What is our arguing position like ?

I'm really not up for a fight with the Travel Insurance people at this stage, just a little stressed as this pretty much screws the plan we had, I'm best man at a wedding in Rome and this is hassel I could have done without...

what are our options ? and more importantly is it possible for us to avoid any costs incurred in what ever solution we choose ?

cheers

7gcbc

Capt Claret
16th Mar 2005, 15:45
7gcbc

I doubt your arguing position is good. The fine print on the back of your ticket will indicate that there are no guarantees, and given that they're offering an alternative, albeit unpalatable, they've probably covered their obligations.

Perhaps EWLOCO can expand.

BlueEagle
16th Mar 2005, 21:59
If you don't get the answers here you may want to try the Airlines and Airports forum as there are many posters there who obviously have considerable ticketing experience.

Eastwest Loco
17th Mar 2005, 07:29
Hi 7gcbc

First up, due to flight cancellation, I would have the Travel Agent pressure QF to accommodate you on a suitable flight on a Flight Interruption Manifest (FIM) basis and if there is a suitable CX flight get you onto that, as the QF flight ex FCO is codeshared on CX and they will most likely conect with themselves. Push this one HARD as the airline is responsible assuming the booking was ticketed, to deliver you on first available service or accommodate you on a suitable replacement service of their own within reasonable parameters. If they do not do the FIM bit, get the Agent to push for a day use family room at the Regal Airport Hotel at HKG, so at least you have somewhere to stretch out and for the kids to have a snooze etc.

If that fails, and it should not if the Agent has reasonable QF runs on the board, then on to the Insurance and under the flight delay cover which most have, you should be able to have them either reaccommodate you on another service, or at least pay for the Regal.

My money is on pressure on QF. If they cancel a service for ticketed passengers, they should reaccommodate on a suitable service.

If your agent is a bucket shop operation, you may need to insert a 3 phase cable in the tw@t or butt of the booking clerk and power up to get a response, but do not back off. It may be messy, but it needs to be done.

Best regards and hope this helps.

EWL

7gcbc
18th Mar 2005, 02:42
EWL, Claret,and Blue,

Thanks so much for the advice, if all else fails and we do have a stop over in HK, then I advise travellers to stay away from the QF lounge on Anzac day as I shall be unleashing my two tired and bad tempered toddlers to wreak mayhem and destruction on all they survey.

TA is not really doing much, getting stone-walled by QF , will try QF and see what they say this afternoon, picking through the features and terms of the Travel Insurance brings me to the unpalatable conclusion that any claim is going to rest on the interpretation of the word "Cancellation" versus "Re-scheduling" and "Delay"

don't ya just love Insurance Products, had a beer or three with an actuary yesterday, and he won't touch insurance products, should have known.... money for nothing.

cheers

7gcbc

Eastwest Loco
18th Mar 2005, 08:11
7gcbc

Go the local QF head office in your state, after you have gone to the head office of the agent group involved and expressed your dissatisfaction.

Then check for a travel delay cover in your Travel Insurance, and get them on it. I would have a talk to the insurance people - they are not game to get too cheeky these days, and are generally fairly OK.

Stonewalled and ignored are 2 different things.

Best regards

EWL

7gcbc
18th Mar 2005, 09:59
EWL

Indeed our next approach is to face to face with a QF agent, after we go to the TA
which is located in Spring street, only a stones throw from the QF on Elizabeth SYD.

my Wife spent approx 2-3 hours getting nowhere talking to QF today, they did not even offer to educate us as to the possible facilities/options at HKG to mitigate our circumstances. (I can google that or post elsewhere to find out , but their disregard is irksome) She is writing letters as I type this (unusual for her, I'm the hot-head)

So the gloves are off, TA first, QF second, usual stuff make a complaint or minor scene, if that fails then QF will have a hell of a time as will the passengers near us on the last 50% of the leg to SYD from HKG after the toddlers have spent 14 hours layby.

and you know, I'm not going to accomodate anyone who complains, tough, play the game, drop the ball, get used to it, c'est la vie. apologies in advance to the FA's, tell your bosses.

ps. did I mention we have "lively" toddlers ? :D

we'll probably cave in and chance whotif.com to see if we can pay for a day room at the regal.

The Regal is airside I assume ? or part thereof ?

thanks for advice, I apreciate it, I'll let you know how we go.

Cheers

7gcbc

Eastwest Loco
18th Mar 2005, 10:47
7gcbc

Regal is indeed airside mate.

We use it very regularly for corporate clients bailing out of mainland China into a little reality before a flight home. It is not cheap, at a lead in of AUD345.00 for a night, but less on day use depending on their mood at the time.

The airlines would have disrupted pax and crew rates there at a fraction of that. Look for an old head - someone who has been there before all the fluff and crap entered the system and started eroding the culture. They are the ones that will go the extra yard (if allowed).

Over 12 hour delay, and insurance may be the way to go, or at least throw them at the airline if direct approaches fail. You paid for a service from both, so let one clobber the other if all else fails. Note the word "paid"? Youhave paid for their problem solving abilities and internal contacts. Use them.

I had a screw up with tickets at LAX years ago ( a Travel Agent's holiday is like a mechanic's car - never goes right) and threw the problem to the insurance dudes. We go out 3 nights later,but all extra accommodation and meals were picked up with no quibble by insurance, along with the bills for the nasty virus (which would make the ebola virus look like a fart in the bath) that struck me and nuked Mrs Loco and the boys before the trip home. They are not all bastard in insurance. Oh - and dopey me - I have had a ****ty day with IT dudes who cannot make up their minds, and am still putting out bushfires - not thinking straight.

Plan B would be to demand a full refund, and you are within your rights to do so, then rebuild the itinerary with another carrier.

Best regards

EWL

7gcbc
19th Mar 2005, 10:27
EWL,

Much obliged, You have provided the "angle" I wanted in negotiation, it also turns out the re-schedule is over the 12 hour limit, if that means anything, I can't see whty QF could not just have met us half way and accomodated us by recommending a reduced rate day stay at Regal. (which we'd have been happy to meet)

First Family hols in 4 years is turning sour a month before we even leave the country............superb!

cheers

7g

Eastwest Loco
19th Mar 2005, 11:32
No problemo 7g

If you do not get the right response from the kids on the floor ( and generally a lovely lot, if uneducated by the airline that they work for - not their fault at all!) ask for a grown-up who is in charge. If reservations fails, call sales and marketing, or - shock horror - turn up in the office with tickets in hand.

The Rat has been bastardised over the last 10 years or so by wannabee alleged managers, movers and shakers. At the operational coer once you get beyond all the bull, there are a great number of very willing and capable people who are solely focused on their clients.

Do find them mate.

It may restore a tad of your confidence in an airline that will one day get over the losers currently in control.

Please keep me abreast of events.

Best

EWL

BlueEagle
19th Mar 2005, 21:22
Have you considered flying with SIA?
They do SYD-SIN direct, then Singapore-Rome direct, the crew are usually very good with kids of all ages and they are likely to be more helpful about rest facilities in SIN too! although you can get a flight from Sydney to Singapore that pretty much dovetails with the Singapore - Rome flight, return flight the same.

As EWL says you are entitled to a full refund, tell your travel agent to re-book you and the funds are with QF, (if they have actually paid QF yet!), all you want is your new tickets please.
Worth a try.

Just an example from the SQ website,
Depart Syd daily except Sunday at 1700.
Arr Singapore 2155. (SQ222)

Depart Singapore Tu/Fri and Sun 0100
Arr Rome 0715. (SQ340).

7gcbc
21st Mar 2005, 07:05
Blue,

Already parted with the lucre a month ago, they have the money at this late stage it would be pure luck if we found an alternate route for the same price (8k)

Would like to fly SIA, infact would love to fly anything but the flying rat at this stage. we just can't afford it.

EWL,

QF have said a flat No to any reduced rate at Regal in HK, 14 hours (its actually 14.75 hrs) is not do-able as a layover after 1 intercontinental flight with kids, we are now looking to route back via london (which qf are facilitating on a ba codeshare - not confirmed, other option is to leave a day earlier, I'll have to cancel accom in Rome and seek alternative arrangements).

so we lose a day in rome, frankly I just hope they don't change the schedule again.

Spoke to TA again, and presented habius passengerus at QF in Bridge street SYD ( they held their palms open and explained that they are just a lowly travel agent).

I suppose in this day and age you'd expect what you pay for ?

Not I.

Once again, huge thanks to all your advice.

cheers

7g