PDA

View Full Version : WW2 short story

RabbitLeader
16th Mar 2005, 07:21
Hey all.

Wonder if someone can help me. I'm going to write a short story for the Writer of the Year competition, and I had an idea to do a story about an Anti-Diver patrol (that's V-1 busting to the uninitiated!), preferably with Spitfire XIVs. I know at least 3 squadrons operated them around D-day, and I'm pretty sure one or two were tasked with this duty.

Could anyone provide information on this for me? I know there was some sort of elaborate anti-aircraft measures set up around London and the coast, along with barrage balloons, but I don't know too much about it.

If you can help, drop me a line here, or at my work address: [email protected]

Thanks in advance

teeteringhead
16th Mar 2005, 10:55
RabbitLeader

I've found record of 5 Sqns which operated Spit XIVs in the anti-V1 role. Quotations are from "The Squadrons of the RAF" by James J Halley, ISBN 0 851030 083 9

91 Based at Drem, West Malling and Deanland. "Soon after D-Day, flying bomb attacks began and No 91 was engaged in destroying these until August 1944."

130 Based at Tangmere and Lympne. "In August 1944 it converted to Spitfire XIVs which were used to counter the flying bomb attacks on southern England."

322 Based at Hartfordbridge, West Malling and Deanland. "In April (1944) it returned south to attack enemy targets in northern France but soon after the landings it found itself engaged in countering the flying bomb attacks until August, when the capture of their launching sites reduced the menace to mere nuisance raids."

350 Based at Westhampnett, Hawkinge and Lympne. "After covering the allied landings, the squadron re-equipped with Spitfire XIVs and for the next month was engaged in intercepting flying bombs over southern England."

610 Based at Friston and Lympne. "In July 1944 No 610 took its Spitfire XIVs to south-east England to intercept flying bombs for two months."

Hope this help - I may have more info somewhere, PM me if there's anything else you need. Best of luck with the project anyway!

teeters

Duxford_Eagles
16th Mar 2005, 11:08
I seem to remember reading that Spitfire's weren't that much cop at catching V1's until they'd been stripped of armour plate and lightened/polished.

RabbitLeader
16th Mar 2005, 11:16
I seem to remember seeing that somewhere, too.

th - thanks for those. I never realised there were five squadrons operating them in this role.

I'm interested in the set-up of these ops - were they at available to scramble immediately etc?

Kolibear
16th Mar 2005, 11:40
I can't help but notice that three posts down from this thread is one labelled 'V2 Tipping'. Its been established that the title of that thread should actually read 'V1 Tipping', so you might want to have a read through it.

Onan the Clumsy
16th Mar 2005, 12:11
Any chance you'll post a link to your story once it's complete? I think it would have a welcoming audience.

TD&H
16th Mar 2005, 12:14
And a percentage of the royalties for all the above helpers?!:E

RabbitLeader
16th Mar 2005, 16:46
I know a bit about the V-1 tipping, but I'll give it a look anyway.

I hadn't planned on putting a link to the story up, but that gave me the idea of doing a little site about Griffon Spits - I feel they're a bit underrated by most people!

Unfortunately, TD&H, the prize is pretty miniscule! :rolleyes:

treadigraph
17th Mar 2005, 07:02
Not by me they're not Rabbit Leader! Tear drop canopy, normal wings and a Griffon - XIV or XVIII.... I want one...

And I'm looking forward to seeing the Contra-Ratting PR19 soon. (Please, please, please...)

Good luck with your word-smithing...

RabbitLeader
17th Mar 2005, 08:22
Well, maybe not underrated, more over-looked, since everyone associates the Spit with the Merlin engine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/DazDaMan/SM845flyby2.jpg

How about this one then, treadigraph?

(image from www.airscene.org.uk)

LowNSlow
17th Mar 2005, 11:47
rabbitleader I think they flew what were called "Anti Diver Patrols", Diver being the code name for the V1. They stooged around at a height considerably greater than the normal operating height of the V1's to allow them to dive and catch up with the nasty, speedy little monsters.

treadigraph
17th Mar 2005, 12:04
Perfection! Just need the noise to make my day!

Saw your post over on FP, verbally describing the noise these beauties make is beyond me. Methinks you need to do a short story for Radio 4, complete with appropriate sound effects!

I always think the Merlin growls, while the Griffon is more a shattering ripping er... see wot I mean?

Cheers

Treadders

RabbitLeader
17th Mar 2005, 12:22
Treadigraph - I know what you mean. Seeing the three-ship tailchase at Duxford was something else - but I think you have to really be there to appreciate it!

I'm having a bash at the story just now - just over 600 words so far out of a limit of 2,000...!!

Speedbird48
18th Mar 2005, 10:27
I used to operate out of Deanland many moons ago, not in Spitfires, but they were standing patrols due to the speed of the V1's and the short distance to the launch sites from Deanland etc.

Deanland is at Ripe, E. Sussex for those not knowing, and a look at the map and the proximity of the coast will be enough explanation.

Good luck with the story.

SPEEDBIRD 48.

RabbitLeader
18th Mar 2005, 12:05
I had "Doodlebugs and Rockets" drop onto my doormat this morning (not bad for having ordered it on Wednesday night! :ok: ), so I'll be reading that this weekend.

My first draft of the story didn't go down too well - too much like an article, so it's gonna be reworked.

Speedbird - I'm intrigued. What did you fly out of Deanland? (Apologies if the rest of you already know! :O )

Speedbird48
18th Mar 2005, 16:48
Rabbit Leader,

Please check your PM's.

Speedbird 48.

RabbitLeader
20th Mar 2005, 16:51
Thanks for that, Speedbird.