PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi Recruitment

Cambridge Crash
16th Mar 2005, 05:46
Having some nostalgia for New Zealand, I learned that the RNZAF is currently recruiting from the UK - in particular, pilots navs, supply officers, engineering officers, AEOps & Doctors. The deadline is 31 March 2005.

see www.airforce.mil.nz/careers/overseas/intro.htm

Good Luck!

CC

shandyman
16th Mar 2005, 09:38
Thanks old bean . . . ..I hear there is more than a little interest from ISK at the moment. May have something to do with the recent Fincastle comp. Good luck to all those interested, at least there will be somewhere for me to holiday in the future!:cool:

Point0Five
16th Mar 2005, 10:45
... should be choice, eh bro?:cool:

foldingwings
16th Mar 2005, 11:35
A bit of a kick in the teeth for all those RNZAF aircrew who were forced out when they threw away their FJ ac just 6 years ago! Makes you wonder why, with a bit of foresight and some cross-training, they might have retained them to fulfil this requirement.

Then again, they are built on the UK model.............

Mach the Knife
16th Mar 2005, 18:32
Hmmmm, Retrain from single seat, multi-role fast jet to a big truck with compulsory pie eating . Think I'd rather move to the other side of the world and fly someone elses jets......Oh and many did.

kmagyoyo
16th Mar 2005, 21:28
Interesting....

As one who jumped ship all I can say is 'the grass isn't greener on the other side'. Gone are the glory days of the Douglas thou' dont think I could go back to NZ$50K and a CT4.

ps The disbandment of the Air Combat Force was only 3 and a bit years ago. The last A4 stopped flying at the end of last year.

reynoldsno1
16th Mar 2005, 21:48
For Flt Lt/Sqn Ldr aircrew it is certainly a lot more than $50k (2002 a Sqn Ldr QFI was on c $73k) ... for anyone realising assets from Oz or UK, you will get quite a lot for your money. The downside is you will all probably end up in Ohakea eventually.........

kmagyoyo
16th Mar 2005, 22:30
No idea what the pay is these days, but when I left in '01 as a FLTLT I was on mid 50's. Big jump up to Sqnldr (unlike the RAAF) but $73 sounds a bit high. My old CO (WGCDR) said he was on that.

Remember, no such thing as flying pay. Extra qualifications or upgrades are usually rewarded by a ROSO (interesting way to help retention), so being a 10 year QFI won't make any difference to your pay packet...infact you'll probably be on about the same as a boxstacker of the same rank but lets not go there.

On the bright side I cant think of a better place to live....Auckland from memory is rated in the worlds top 10 cities to live. If you do end up in Ohakea its only two hours drive to the Hawkes Bay (vino country) or Wellington (pseudo large city) and it really ain't that bad...ok it is, but its bloody Ibetha compared to Scotland.

If your looking for a lifestyle move then its a pretty good one....in fact....remind me again why I left :O

(oh thats right, Comrade Helen :\ )

Samuel
17th Mar 2005, 00:04
Correct, they are looking for a number of NCO Aircrew, and Officers in the Pilot, Nav,AEO and some ground branch categories such as Supply Officer, which I'm sure none of you whizz-kids would be interested in!

A Flt Lt Pilot on appointment is currently on $58,800, and a Sqn Ldr on appointment $76,800. Seniority would boost that no doubt.

There are still people who value the lifestyle however. There are at least two former RAF Sqn Ldrs happy enough to be part of flying training, and I gather the recent Fincastle resulted in some expressed interest in a change of scenery, though that might have been beer talking!

It was four years [and $8 Million] since Helen the Ugly did the deed, and the aircraft are still in storage. Malaysia is apparently interested in the Maachi, and the A4s, well, who knows?

fergineer
17th Mar 2005, 02:48
Dont forget that they will be looking for NCO Aircrew of certain ranks, that is what you wil be offered so dont expect to jump straight to the top rung of the ladder...........There are no down sides to living out here that I have found and apart from the wind in Wellington its a nice place to be..........Take a holiday here you wont regret it been here 6 months and still loving the place.

Samuel
17th Mar 2005, 18:23
So do we...:ok:

Don't tell them all though, we'll be inundated:cool:

reynoldsno1
17th Mar 2005, 19:12
apart from the wind in Wellington
Wind. We get breezes up to 120km/h on occasion, but apart from that, it's pretty balmy.....:ok:

ZK-NSJ
18th Mar 2005, 03:24
during a recent storm the wind measuring equipment up on a nearby hill blew away after recoring a gust of around 180km

Bring_back_Buck
29th Mar 2005, 19:00
Anybody got any idea how much the AEOps are getting paid over there?
Just wondering...

Pontius Navigator
29th Mar 2005, 19:23
Do they still have promotion exams? In '73 you had to take the B to confirm your entitlement to retain Flt Lt and you needed the C to get Sqn Ldr.

One deal was a 4-yr commission which essentially gave you a good kick up the housing ladder and integration into NZ society when you left.

What was wrong with Ohakea? Runway was a bit bumpy, rumour had it that they air dropped the pavement from Wellington. The mess faced north, you could walk from quarters to the mess, and crawl back. You could walk from the mess to ops and didn't need a car!

If you had a car it could be an MGA.

Samuel
30th Mar 2005, 01:34
There's nothing wrong with Ohakea! It's location is a bit rural, but it's only two hours from Wellington! Palmerston North is a bit of a cow town, but Feilding [yes, that's correct], is closer and a very nice place to live. I bet all those ex-RAF guys live there!

The original runways of octagonal interlocking concrete blocks have long gone, and are now as smooth as they come! It was built originally to take the Wellington bombers of 75 Sqn but which were kindly turned over to the RAF. What a generous bunch we are. The Wellingtons never came to NZ by the way!

I think promotion to Sqn Ldr from Flt Lt requires prior attendance at a Junior Command and Staff College course these days. I did, but it may have changed. I wasn't invited back for the longer, senior course, for which fact I was eternally grateful.

The Mess at Ohakea, like those at Whenuapai and Wigram, was/is stock standard RAF-issue plans by the way, and identical to many on RAF Stations in the UK.

Not many MGAs around these days Pontius, more likely MX5s and BMW, plus the inevitable Holden with a stock-standard 5.7 litre V8!

henry crun
30th Mar 2005, 02:46
"stock standard RAF-issue plans by the way, and identical to many on RAF Stations in the UK" : except they built them facing the right way, north. :)

la dame blanche
30th Mar 2005, 23:32
Dont you think the RNZAF has enough Senior Officers?

51 Aircraft and 249 Senior Officers!!!! What the ....?

The RNZAF owns:
2 x 757
5 x C130 (40yrs old)
6 x P3 (40yrs old)
15 x Huey (39years old)
5 x Bell 47 (presumably for re-runs of Mash)

Total: 33 Aircraft (You can add the leased Airtrainers & KingAirs for a Grand Total of: 51)

Now, Senior Officers:

1 x Air Vice Marshall
9 x AOCs
18 x Group Captains
67 x Wing Commanders
154 x Squadron Leaders

Am I missing a trick....How can this be?

Thats not an Airforce, thats a cocktail party & warbirds club with a huge amount of paperwork!:sad:

Chinook
31st Mar 2005, 02:21
Might be interesting ...... what are the tax rates like in NZ these days?

I wonder whether the NZDF would consider taking me back... lord knows flying a desk in Canberra can't be worse than a winter in Ohakea!

Fox3snapshot
31st Mar 2005, 18:26
If anyone decides to go back to Ohakea and you wanna buy a house in Palmy let me know....its a first home owners dream (ie. you will hopefully have no idea what you have bought!).

:E

P.S Its walking distance to the "Aqaba" and my street only gets burgled once a week.....

Zoom
31st Mar 2005, 18:36
Yeah, yeah, that's all very well, but who won the Fincastle Trophy then, and in what?

philyray
31st Mar 2005, 18:40
Guys,

Don't be blinded here. If you're gonna head down south then surely the Aussie AF is the only one to join. It's bigger, better and it'll pay you more. Even better than that you'll be living in the most awesome country in the world - instead of some remote sh*thole full of Aussie wannabes anyway!!!!

Regards Phily

Fox3snapshot
31st Mar 2005, 18:44
But what about my house in Palmy?....:(

Samuel
31st Mar 2005, 19:37
Don't forget the NH 90!

They've just announced the Iroquois is to be replaced with the NH90, to be in service within the next four years.:ok:

kmagyoyo
1st Apr 2005, 00:25
If brown, flat and featureless are criteria for the most awesome country in the world then your right on maaaaate

Aussie wannabes my ar$e you freaking knobber:yuk:

reynoldsno1
1st Apr 2005, 01:46
You should have just ignored it - like the GAFA if you have to fly over it.....

Strato Q
1st Apr 2005, 03:51
There is no doubt the Aussies pay better, but then they have too, you've got to work with Aussies. If you want to go into a culture like the Spams then go to the Aussies. If you are looking for money forget the RNZAF, you are looking at a 50% pay cut and the cost of living is not that cheap. If it is a lifestyle change then look at the RNZAF - less deployments, but more SAR! Closing date is 15 Apr, so if you are going to do it hurry up. Sounds as though it is oversubscribed anyway.

Yeller_Gait
6th Apr 2005, 18:28
To quote Bring Back Buck,

Anybody got any idea how much the AEOps are getting paid over there?

Someone must be able to give an idea of what a Sgt AEOp can expect to be paid, an idea of the cost of living, how much does an average house cost etc, ..... are you better off over there or not, all things considered?

Time is running out to apply

Charlie Luncher
7th Apr 2005, 00:33
YG

Over a few gins this little mercenary was asked if interested in a 50% pay cut so that puts it around K$40 ish. They operate much more like you would be used to, as oppose to the spam influenced. There is a lot of talk of some good new toys for the Ks but I have heard that before :ugh: .
You also can keep most of your uniform apart from that WAAF outfit you used to wear on the weekends, would watch the film Once We Were Warriors first though bro :ok:

Charlie Sends

Samuel
7th Apr 2005, 01:17
YG, you could ask them yourself!
www.airforce.mil.nz/careers/overseas/intro.htm

The C130 contract has been signed, last December in fact, and the first aircraft will be done by L-3 Communications Spar Aerospace of Canada as prime contractor. The rest of the aircraft will be done in NZ

The upgrade is extensive; everything from a new flight deck to centre wing refurbishment.The flight deck will similar to that on the 130J.

The P3s are also scheduled for an upgrade

Samuel
7th Apr 2005, 02:51
Yup.

Quote: "The most significant visual change will be on the flight deck where the 1950s analogue control and display system will be replaced with a modern highly reliable flat screen display similar to that on the C130J. The nav and comms systems will be almost entirely replaced with digital systems, again, similar to the C130J. Electrical system will be upgraded, along with fuel gauging, a new APU, and new air-conditioning".

Yeller_Gait
7th Apr 2005, 07:30
Samuel,

I am in the process of, but was the website does not give many specifics, and I was more interested in an overall comparison with UK lifestyle, and in particular hearing from people that I probably know that have made the move.

Lindstrim
7th Apr 2005, 10:40
Are the Maccis actually sold coz ive seen a few doing circuits at Ohakea when I was driving past in the middle of Feburary?

Samuel
7th Apr 2005, 15:29
No. The Malaysians want them, but haven't come up with an offer as yet, so it's still 'under negotiation'.

reynoldsno1
8th Apr 2005, 00:50
Yeller_Gait
... if you're serious, catch a plane and come visit - it's the only way...

Fox3snapshot
8th Apr 2005, 01:08
Do you think the boys (and Girls!) would give up clam spearing, piano building, mountain climbing, merchant banking, Hornet flying, Pig flying, Harrier flying, Tornado flying, Jaguar flying, Airline flying........to come back to the windy Manawatu to fly Machhi's and do Orderley Officer for 100 Rupee a day????????

And why hasn't anybody made me an offer for my batch in Mere Mere???!!!!!

:E

Samuel
8th Apr 2005, 01:22
I've heard that rumour that the Maachi could be sneaked back on line should Helen take a hit and the political will exists,[no guarantee of that!] but the infrastructure would be a problem and pilots possibly the least concern.

The A4's are dead.

All winged wonders should do OO, if only to remind you that it's real purpose was a group hug to reassure you that you aren't alone!:ok:

I heard that a large number of flimsy constructions were bull-dozed up at Mary Mary when they built that new diversion.:uhoh:

Ex Douglas Driver
9th Apr 2005, 02:24
Clam spearing! Is that an occupation or just an after-hours hobby?

As for that shack you own in Balmy Palmy, you know you're going to end up back there..., just like I am! :hmm:

As for going back to the RNZAF, there'd have to be a large increase in salary and conditions of service to make me think about it. Oh, and a new jet. And a new government.

But, I've no regrets whatsoever about my time with the RNZAF fighter force. Best flying to be had anywhere with a brilliant bunch of mates. As KMAG said, the grass isn't always greener.

Strato Q
9th Apr 2005, 19:51
I here that there has been nearly 600 applicants from the RAF. If they all get in plus the Poms that you already have over 25% of the Airforce will be ex-RAF.

Touchin' Down
15th Apr 2005, 18:03
Hoping to catch up with some "merchant bankers" at the toast life festival in london on june 11! Oh, but I don't drink - YEAH RIGHT! (Tui, brewed in Mangatanoka since 1969) That's one only the kiwi's will understand. Oh, and I have a house in Palmy too...one careful owner, special price!

I do believe pay has gone up a lot since we left in Dec 01. As a flt Lt you won't have quite as much cash to play with as you do in the UK but it's more than enough for a great lifestyle, and the outdoors rocks.

For the guys thinking of heading out there if you want any questions answered about the RNZAF or NZ in general give me a shout. In fact, looks like there are a few of us kiwis on here who I'm sure will be only to happy to help.

Jin Tonik
17th Apr 2005, 13:26
Looks interesting. Does anyone know if the H models are going to be refitted with HUDs like the J or just the flat panel displays? Also any more details on pay/pensions would be very useful - do you retire at 55 or 65? What sort of pension deal do you get? Any rumours on the numbers of pilots required? Any info gratefully received. Jin.

Biggus
17th Apr 2005, 18:06
J T

Aren't you too late? I thought the cut off date for application was 15th April?

Jin Tonik
17th Apr 2005, 18:16
The registrations of interest had to be made by then Biggus, but the application deadline is in about a week. regards, Jin.

Touchin' Down
17th Apr 2005, 20:47
Pay is less then UK but cost of living is less too. I think a flt lt is on about 65k NZ but some of the current RNZAF guys may be able to help out there. Likewise the pensions may have changed but it used to be that you didn't get a pension as such, just a lump sum pay out, depending on yr length of service. Unlike the UK, you actually pay into the sceme too. Used to be about 7% of your pay if |I recall correctly. Essentually the Air Force match what you pay in ,plus a bit. If you stay for 15 yrs then when you leave you get all of the "pot" if you like. If you left after say 10 yrs you might get about 60% of what the air force paid in on top of your own contributions etc etc. I believe that RAF guys that have gone over in the past have been able to use their RAF time to count towards it too which is a big plus.

This may have changed obviously and I'm sure the RNZAF will give you all the details idc.

Trooping
18th Apr 2005, 03:41
Join the Aussie Defence Force instead.........

http://www.vision-execution.com/personal/storyof42.html

Trooping :ok:

Tanewha
17th May 2005, 12:38
Please everyone, don't go to NZ. I am going back there next year and the last thing I want is for it to be a mini-England!!!

Tanewha

500days2do
17th May 2005, 14:02
To late mate...
Once all the Lions fans get there an realise what they've been missing you'll be watchin the next pomm rush...

Any jobs goin for C130 flt engs with 3500 hrs on type...???

fergineer
18th May 2005, 01:24
500 2 go,
No FE jobs on the C130 Possibility of some on the P3 but that chance is very slim. Sorry but thats the way it is fr us FE's at the moment.............however it is very nice here not much in work though.

snakepit
18th May 2005, 12:10
fergineer

Is the H model upgrade going to do away with the eng and nav position or just the nav?

Dont know if there are any posts for engs but I'm through to the second round!

Cougar
19th May 2005, 22:31
Can someone please explain why the J model got knocked on the head, only to spend similar money on upgrading the current Hercs? We even had exhange guys over here on J's for this specific reason (g'day JD if you are around!!)?

Samuel
20th May 2005, 03:31
Well, there are a whole bunch of a team of Warrant Officers and Officers departing for the UK on the 25th May to interview 320 applicants [out of a total 1148!], with the aim of selecting a mere 80 for enlistment into the RNZAF. They are looking at all branches and trades. The first lot will be here by August this year, and others early next.

Yes, they are looking for Engineering and Supply Officers.

Sounds as though there might be a few disappointments:ugh:, but a word of advice: they're after career-minded people, not short-term tourists!

Cougar, from memory, there was an arrangement of an option on a number of \'Js\'for the RNZAF in conjunction with the RAAF purchase, but it was allowed to lapse. I doubt the amount being spent on the current model matches what would have been required for the \'J\'!

In hindsight, it might have been a smart decision!

I\'ve got at least one Lions supporter staying with me,[for the Wellington test] but we won\'t allow him to wear his Lions shirt around the house, nor is he allowed to sing. Mind you, it\'ll probably be a dirge!:ok:

Actually, I noticed a shop in town yesterday selling rugby shirts which are half All Black/Half Lions.For the half-way line no doubt!

Yeller_Gait
23rd Jul 2005, 17:23
Cambridge Crash,

Thanks for your original post, if/when I ever meet you, I owe you a beer.

Charlie Luncher
24th Jul 2005, 00:33
So yella
Does that mean you are heading darn south?:rolleyes:

Charlie sends

Stan Bydike
24th Jul 2005, 07:05
Yeller_Gait,

Please check your PMs

Stan

Samuel
26th Jul 2005, 05:32
Well done YG; you won't regret it, plus you'll be working with a great bunch of people.

reynoldsno1
26th Jul 2005, 21:15
Good on yer, YG - I made a similar move many years ago. No longer in the RNZAF, but NZ is a wonderful place to call home.....

remember -
latitude increases when you go SOUTH
variation is anything between 18 and 25 EAST
NZ ATC use radar much the same as the UK police ...:uhoh:

Samuel
18th Aug 2005, 09:12
Well, 1160 expressions of interest, 200 interviews, 97 offers of service; the first batch arrive October.

Good luck to you if you're one of the 97!

Charlie Luncher
19th Aug 2005, 05:53
So
Does that mean the RAF will now be on a recruiting drive, I know Burridge is driving people up the wall.:{
How much are they offering???:E
Charlie sends

Charlie Luncher
7th Sep 2005, 06:42
Dudes
If they are desparate we are happy to get rid of a kiwi or two from over here, they never buy beer and dont do the haka too good either. :hmm:
Charlie sends:E :ok:

Stan Bydike
8th Sep 2005, 19:50
The next phase of recruitment has started:

http://www.airforce.mil.nz/careers/overseas-recruiting/uk-recruitment-project-2006.htm

Stan Bydike
4th Oct 2005, 07:59
For those who have an interest, I arrived yesterday as the first of the bunch from the UK.

The RNZAF have got things well organised, the removals, trip to London and flights all went like clockwork.

On arrival was met as promised and accom was all sorted. Start the induction process tomorrow.

If anyone requires more info please PM me as I will now adopt a new persona having gone halfway round the world.

Cheers

Charlie Luncher
8th Oct 2005, 00:35
Stan
Beware the very friendly and very large island women, there is no taxi to come and rescue you from buckie high street in the Pacific:} .
Charlie sends

circle kay
8th Oct 2005, 12:52
Charlie,

A Bit like the Shetlands then:ok: