PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS 111 plus

Loose rivets
16th Mar 2005, 05:01
Hi all
I picked up a Garmin GPS 111 plus in a garage sale tother day. ($10) it seems to go ok, but has no leads etc. The model is obsolete but have downloaded the manual...all 114 pages of it.

There is a 4 pin plug at the back and 2 of the pins are marked + and - , well you know what I mean. Since the leads are 400% the cost of the unit I will try to make my own...does anyone know the input voltage and wether the protection from spikes etc is in the GPS or in the cigarette lighter plug. The picture of the plug look just like a cheepie from the car parts place, but of course I can't try it till I know a bit more.

Any info on the (I suppose serial) interface would be helpful as well LR

Avtrician
16th Mar 2005, 05:39
Rivets,

Is that a GPS III plus as in 3, if so then the input is from 8 to 30 volts. we mhave a couple of similar GPS units at work.

have a look here for plug suppliers (http://pfranc.com/cgi-bin/list) near you. they are only about US$5.00 each.

Loose rivets
17th Mar 2005, 05:59
Avtrician, many thanks...what an interesting site! All the pin connections for power and serial etc. Using an old mouse tail as a data cable...great idea.

I spent some time flying with GPS but have never used one on the road. My grandson (5) in the back pressing buttons and uttering ‘neat, cool' etc. Long time since ten bucks has given so much fun.

I have yet to read most of the Garmin download, but so far it seems pretty good. Plus, an offer of a free manual!

Now to get to grips with the software side. :confused:

Avtrician
17th Mar 2005, 10:03
For software :- Mapping etc I use Oziexplorer, at work and home. Connect the GPS to the laptop and you have moving map.

try here for more info (http://www.oziexplorer.com/)

Its easy to use, and not realy expensive, all updates are free.

I haver no financial intrest in this site, I just realy like the product.

seacue
18th Mar 2005, 05:13
For the USA DeLorme Street Atlas (and their other products) support GPS, as does Microsoft Streets and Trips.

I hate the human interface of the recent versions of DeLorme Street Atlas. Versions 9 and before are much easier to use IMO. I still use my SA ver 8, even though I have SA 2003. 2003 has serious missing major roads problems in an area of Ohio I use.

Microsoft Streets and Trips is not as nice as the old DeLorme versions since it is very coy about revealing info. You have to click to find much useful stuff. You have to know almost exactly where points of interest are since they don't show up on small scales. That said, I'd choose S&T over the latest DeLorme SA.

I've tried a number of other off-the-shelf mapping products for the USA and don't find them useful.

I've heard good things about Oziexplorer as mentioned above.

You should definitely read http://gpsinformation.net/ which is a huge noncomercial site run by a couple of retired radio hams. I trust their opinions.

seacue

gingernut
18th Mar 2005, 20:36
got mine off e-bay for £10, including download cable, but I'm not sure about the spike protection.

I've been a bit cautious since my camping fridge blew up my astra's alternator !

Loose rivets
19th Mar 2005, 05:52
The plot thickens! (Groan)

Thanks for the links. I have to confess that I didn't even know that one could hook up to a laptop and use other maps. I've got a lot to learn it seems.

While I was at this garage sale, I also found a good Sony phone charger which was marked as 8.4 v out. Inside I found some friendly control circuitry which when coupled with a mini pot from a luckless VHS recorder became a 12v out for the Garmin.
Avtrician's site got me in contact with some interesting guys who not only will send me the 4 pin plugs, but also told me about flying a turbine powered micro-lite. Lives by a lake and just does interesting things. Now that's my kind of lifestyle.

We moved 2 feet forward in traffic today and the GPS (on auto zoom) showed 2 feet change. As one of those who traced Sputnick from Sheepen Road Tech in Colchester, I know how the system works...but I still find it hard to believe.

gingernut you should have known.

"I've been a bit cautious since my camping fridge blew up my astra's alternator

I can just hear those camping fridges now. "All together boys, hands on hips, get those @^$^& Astras right in the alternators!!!"

Now to gpsinformation. LR

Avtrician
19th Mar 2005, 11:45
Rivets,
The more you get into the GPS, the more confused you can become and the more fun that can be had.

have a lookhere (http://www.geocaching.com/) for some more fun.

It will help you learn more about the uses of your gadget.:ok: :ok: :confused: