PDA

View Full Version : What cost to buy myself a job...

HayaBusa200
15th Mar 2005, 21:27
Ok, Here we go again.....another 'If I don't do it now, it'll be too late'.
or 'am I just kidding myself', scenario for you all to ponder. Get in the coffee and Hob-nobs, and here goes;

'CV' to date;

Late starter in life, series of unfullfiling jobs, had trial lesson=

PPL,IMC,Night,Multi - Aged 26 - Wanted to be an Airline pilot

BCPL/AFI/QFI - Aged 30 - Still wanting to be an Airline pilot

ATPL/Perf A writtens - Aged 32 - Looking fwd to career as a pilot

Got Married/Had 2 Kids - Gave up all hope of being a pilot!

Ran own business for next 10 years - still wanting to be a pilot.

Business now run by wife - can I still be a pilot? oh dear...

Yes, as you have probably already worked out I am now at the ripe old age of 41. I've read all the threads about 'Am I too old' and all that, but I've already made a start. Alright, even if my ATPL's have expired, due to not getting the IR in time, I've got 650 hours, which is not too bad. I've even got about 15 hours towards the IR, but couldn't finish it due to, money, family, work, time, builders etc, etc. I deeply regret allowing that to happen. My timing was p**s poor, when I started the course, down at Bristol Flight Centre. I know that I will effectively have to start from scratch again with the IR. But at least I've had a taster.

I've also read most of the threads about buying type ratings, but
at my age, I don't see that I have a lot of option? I know that it goes against the grain and all that, and there's no guarantees etc, etc. But what airline/TP Op would consider me otherwise.
Please don't hate me for this. If I thought I stood a chance without a type rating, believe me I would rather save my cash.

So, before I start yet another series of 'go for it'/''don't bother' threads, can some wonderful, enlghtened being who maybe has trod this insane path before, tell me, how much will it all cost?

I'm assuming I would have to;

Instruct/hour build another 50 hours
Re-sit ATPL's
Do a Multi IR
MCC/CRM course
Type rating course on TP/737

That doesn't sound like too much, does it?

Is there anything I've missed? Also, how long will all this lot take!
Will I be drawing my pension by the time I've finished. Also, do people actually pay for TP type ratings? You don't tend to hear that very often, as opposed to the more popular 737 courses. Obviously, a TP course would be a lot cheaper (and easier?) Anyone out there who's done one? What was it like, did you get a job after it?

I'm at a critical age, whereby you know that time is/has running out, I know people will think that I should have sorted it all out long ago, but sometimes life just don't work out that way. If you've set yourself an ambition to fly, you won't rest until you do it. Even if you end up hating it, (like so many ppruners) at least you achieved your ambition. For those of you who have a wife and kids and are in a similar position, don't think you are being selfish. If your not happy in your current career/job, then; you not happy=them not happy. Even if your job gives the family financial security, what use is a husband/dad who's miserable all the time, because he never did what he really wanted to do with his life.

When your kids don't follow your example and follow their dreams
you will end up resenting them for it, because you never did. You will wallow in self-pity and inward desperation for all eternity.

Alright, maybe that was all a bit strong, but you get my drift!

Anyway, my Hob-nobs gone all soggy now....HAYABUSA 200.

redsnail
15th Mar 2005, 21:59
To be brutally honest, you've run out of time in this market. (I will not comment on 1997 to 2000, that environment has gone).

If you were ace of the base and had a stack of cash right now to attack this full time, you're looking at 2-3 years to have your type rating finished. This takes into account weather, aircraft malfunctions, course mismatches etc. You'll be 43-44 and still with about 700 hours and a mint type rating with no real airliner type commercial experience.

This will cost you a fortune. Budget the time off work, all the courses and flight training. A turboprop rating (decent one) is at least 15K GBP. Also, take a long look around PPJN (website) about the starting wages.

Don't fall into the trap that a turboprop type rating is "easier" than a jet rating. It's still a full sim programme. Also, you get don't get as much fixed base sessions, if any at all. (I didn't on the Dash 8 in Australia)

If you really want to know if you stand a chance, run the idea past a few Chief pilots or Flight Ops Directors.

You can of course ignore this and do it any way. Unless you have a fantastic pension scheme/spare property you are potentially bankrupting yourself and your family for your retirement.
If you're content to instruct or accept that you may not make your money back then go for it. If you can accept that you can throw away another 20-30K and not miss it, then go for it.

The African Dude
19th Mar 2005, 09:08
Just going to poke my nose in 'ere.

Redsnail has made a number of good realistic points. I'm looking at it though from the perspective of not having achieved it, and still relatively young (although I really do wonder where time is going these days?!!) so hopefully a more positive view on what is evidently your life goal.

Hayabusa, I am going to call you John, not because that is your name but because it's easier to type!! John it's clear that you can feel the need as strongly as you did when you were 26, and that you have given priority to many other things in life, often thinking that they will aid you in some way in finally "getting there". You now have a business and a supportive family as a result of these efforts. These two things are the starting blocks. Now imagine yourself in the best possible position that you can be in (give yourself a time limit) and consider the checklist items neccessary to accomplish in order to place yourself in that positon. This doesn't neccessarily just mean licenses, it could mean the frequency of your communication with people you know in the business from your 700hrs experience too.

A wise guy always said to me - look at where you are heading with your one life, and if you don't like it: CHANGE TRACK! You have a family behind you to help in whatever way they can - can your wife, and more importantly, would she be happy to, run the business mostly by herself whilst you give the family 5 years for you to make it in the airlines? Sort out the backup plan - make sure it's watertight. What am I talking about, you've done this all already I'm sure.

I certainly havn't been there myself mate and I don't have the experience to offer anything other than my support - but I'm old enough to know that you do make your own luck in life. There are people out there who have made it in their late 40's and are by no means individual exceptions to the rules. Plan your attack, plan your route to that position. Don't hesitiate and do not under any circumstances stop moving or lose sight of the goal. Stay focussed and you will get there eventually.

DO listen to everyone's advice, but remember that it is your life. Get out there and go for it. If you try you will have no regrets; if you don't you will. Look after your family whilst you do it though.

Wish you all the very best

Andy

zapata
20th Mar 2005, 04:18
hey there african dude, just pokin my nose in as well...

just wanna say that quality post such as yours never fail to inspire me to reach for my goals...

"Plan your attack, plan your route to that position. Don't hesitate and do not under any circumstances stop moving or lose sight of the goal. Stay focused and you will get there eventually."

thx dude...will keep em in mind...
:ok:

Arrowhead
20th Mar 2005, 13:19
HayaBusa200

Check your PMs

Scoob
21st Mar 2005, 00:11
Hate having to be the bringer of bad vibes but saying you will get there in the end is a bit much. Many people do not get there in the end but a few do. I have to agree that if you try as much as you possibly can it will give you a better chance of a result but it may also help ease the feeling of regret about not going after your dream. Many people have different goals when they become pilots, with your age and hours I would say chances are slim of ending up in a shiny Boeing or Airbus but if you just want to fly, jobs such as flying twins like islanders round the British isles or taking people to 13,000 ft in a twin turboprop so they can jump out at weekends are all jobs where age dosen't play a big role. If it is the big shiny ones you have your eyes set on I will wish you the best of luck and hope that you are one of the very few in your situation who get there.

RVR800
21st Mar 2005, 08:24
See LASORS to check upgrade path BCPL - CPL

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1591

Genghis the Engineer
21st Mar 2005, 15:04
A question to perhaps ask yourself; do you want to fly for a living?, or do you want to fly big airliners specifically?

You've obviously started a successful business, can you start another than involves flying? Can you look at non-airline professional flying?

Just because it might be virtually impossible to be a particular type of pro-pilot, doesn't mean you can't be a pro-pilot. For example I saw a flying school at a major airport for sale recently - that would be a heck of a challenge, and all the flying you can fit in between being the boss (assuming you add an FI rating to your collection anyhow, which will be much cheaper than a jet rating) - and presumably building upon your business experiences as well.

I've never worked in the airlines, and I've never worked out of aviation - I'm happy!

G