PDA

View Full Version : Emigrating And Joining The Raaf,possible?

gomalley
15th Mar 2005, 17:21
YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO FORGIVE ME FOR POSTING ON YOUR FORUM,SHOULD REALLY BE IN THE WANNABE SECTION BUT I DON'T THINK I'LL GET ANY REAL ANSWERS IN THERE SO HERE I AM.

I DON'T WANNA BORE YOU GUYS WITH USUAL WANNABE BS BUT I HAVE TO EXPLAIN MY SITUATION SO HERE GOES.I'M LOOKIN FOR SOME ADVICE ABOUT JOINING THE RAAF(AUSTRALIAN) AS A FOREIGN CITIZEN. MY PLAN ORIGINALLY WAS TO JOIN THE RAF THROUGH A UNIVERSITY AIR SQUADRON.I'M IRISH AND AFTER ENROLLING IN EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY FOR THIS PURPOSE AND GAINING A PPL BEFORE HAND TO UP MY CHANCES I WAS INFORMED BY THE GOOD PEOPLE AT LEUCHARS THAT DUE TO CHANGES BY THE MOD, IRISH CITIZENS COULD NO LONGER BE COMMISIONED AS OFFICERS IN THE RAF.BUMMER!

I'M TWENTY NOW AND NOT GETTING ANY YOUNGER.AFTER REAVALUATING MY SITUATION I DECIDED TO GO THE CIVVY ROUTE.SHOULD BE FINISHIN UP IN ABOUT SIX MONTHS.MY PLAN IS TO FLY COMMERCIALLY FOR AT LEAST TWO YEARS THAT WAY I'LL QUALIFY FOR AN AUSTRALIAN IMMIGRANT VISA AND THEN I'LL BE ABLE TO APPLY TO THE RAAF.SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THIS BY THE TIME I HIT 24,GIVING MYSELF SOME EXTRA TIME AND I KNOW THEY RECRUIT UNTIL THE AGE OF 40.

MY QUESTION TO YOU GUYS IS DOES THIS ALL SOUND TOO FAR FETCHED OR DO YOU THINK I HAVE HALF A CHANCE?DO YOU KNOW OR KNOW OF ANYONE WHO HAS ALREADY DONE IT?ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECITED.
THANKS!

Red Line Entry
15th Mar 2005, 17:50
Alright, alright. We'll try to help you...BUT STOP SHOUTING!!!

wishtobflying
16th Mar 2005, 00:25
You've got Buckley's unless you're a. already here and a citizen or permanent resident or b. already in a military force.

See the following for more specific information.

OVERSEAS ENQUIRER INFORMATION (http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/careers_explorer/RAAFOverseaInfoBody.html)

Air Force Recruiting Information for Ex Service or Serving Members of a Foreign Military Force only.

Note: Foreign nationals who do not have prior military experience must apply for enlistment through Defence Force Recruiting once they have satisfied normal Australian permanent residency requirements.

<... big snip ...>

Immigration

The RAAF currently has a labour agreement to permit sponsorship of visas for those individuals who are recommended for processing for appointment or enlistment. Those applicants approved for sponsorship are responsible for obtaining a permanent resident visa. The applicant and each dependent family member must hold a permanent resident visa before appointment.

Applicants must make a written undertaking that they will apply for Australian Citizenship as soon as they are eligible (normally after three months service in the Permanent Air Force).

... etc

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/ is the site to look at if you want to get the process started.

Cheers and good luck!

otherside
16th Mar 2005, 01:48
Hey I'm in a similar situation and starting into the process. I am a Canadian, living in Canada, and unable to join the Air Force here cause of the vision requirements (20/20 required and I have 20/40). So I'm looking into moving to Australia and trying to join the RAAF. So you'll have to work on gaining permanent residency and then apply like everyone else. Now the timing could be good because Australia has released a whole bunch of visas til the end of 2006 to try to bring skilled workers into the country, this is how I'm planning on going, I'm working as an engineer now, which apparantly is an "in demand" profession which they will grant visas for, your best bet might be to try to get in after having gained experience flying civilian ( which from the sounds of your post is what you're planning on doing). That's all I've got now, feel free to message me, or pass any info you find out.

SASless
16th Mar 2005, 03:12
How about those that have military experience and flying licenses...and combat experience with and against the Australians.

"Note: Foreign nationals who do not have prior military experience must apply for enlistment through Defence Force Recruiting once they have satisfied normal Australian permanent residency requirements."

Operative word there being "not"......

wishtobflying
16th Mar 2005, 03:36
"against"? :confused: Not sure we'd be too keen on the "against" part. :D

Hey SASless I've got a Cobra grip that has a hat switch manufactured April 1968, so it's pretty old - I thought of you when I saw the "SAS release" stencilled on it. Might could've been one of yours, ya never know.

Fox3snapshot
16th Mar 2005, 05:38
If you (wishtobeflying) do your civvy flying job in Oz for the 2 year period and subsequently fulfill the obligitory passport requirements and qualify for your Oz passport then you are just as eligible as any other Ozzy!

The only thing is that you may have done well out of the billy bugsmasher/commercial scene and the military may not offer the beer, hosties and hotels that you have become accustomed to!

:p

Otherside

The vision requirements for the RAAF are as tough as any other Western Air Force in the world so becomng an Ozzy citizen won't forfeit the requirement to be able to see.....you still need A1 vision for direct entry aircrew, as an engineer it is compulsory to be able to find the perculator (coffee machine) or cafeteria so no change there!

:E