PDA

View Full Version : broadband not initializing.

Say again s l o w l y
15th Mar 2005, 12:11
Hi all,

For some unexplained reason, when I boot up the computer it seems to take an age for the ADSL modem to initialize. It all seemed to start last week, but Norton eventually found a nasty and it seemed to cure it for a few days. Now all of a sudden it's back. The only thing I have done is to down load a few updates for XP.

Have I picked up a bug of some kind or is it an ISP thing? After 15 mins the modem links up and all is returned to normal.

I'm stuffed for ideas can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Tonic Please
15th Mar 2005, 13:55
This has worked for a friend I helped.

1) Go to start --> run enter cmd and hit enter
2) At the prompt type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and hit enter
3) When the prompt returns type exit, enter.

This rebuilds the TCP/IP protocol stack so it might work. If not, there are alternatives.

Dan

Say again s l o w l y
15th Mar 2005, 22:29
Hi Tonic,

Just tried your suggestion, but to no avail. It's still taking a long time to initialize. Any other suggestions?

Cheers.

Irish Steve
15th Mar 2005, 23:37
Have you tried a complete power down of the broadband box? A few weeks ago I had something similar, a number of sites went real slow on me, and it turned out that some of the translation data in the broadband box had got screwed. Power down and reset forced to to reload, which sorted it out for me.

How much data is there in your temporary internet files folders. If these have got really big, it might be causing memory issues with cache space. If there's a lot in there you might want to look at thinning out some, but exactly what I can't advise, as each machine will be different.

Another one worth checking might be to see if a defragment is needed, if the virtual memory area is badly fragmented, that can cause things to go slow.

Last would be a scan for adware and the like, just in case something nasty snuck in recently. There was a DNS hijack recently that meant that certain machines ended up going to "strange" sites when directed to normally trustworthy sites, and once there, undesirable things happened!

Say again s l o w l y
17th Mar 2005, 00:27
All done, but no improvement. Thanks anyway.

I've just run Norton WinDoctor and it came up with this, but it can't seem to fix it, could this be the problem?

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\0700\Intel32\DotNet Installer.exe" cannot access a necessary file, "mscoree.dll."

How can I access this file? Do I need to?

Say again s l o w l y
21st Mar 2005, 14:52
It seems the problem was alot simpler than I thought it would be. SOMEBODY (not me) plugged in a new phone and didn't put a filter on it.......... That'll teach me not to look at the obvious stuff first!!

Tonic Please
21st Mar 2005, 17:22
At least something will work now if the problem happens again and the phone is plugged in!