PDA

View Full Version : Explorer home page hi-jack

ICURA?
15th Mar 2005, 09:06
Seems my puter has decided to start I.E. with the following home page

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Ad aware warns me that a registry change is being attempted and I block it, but it still keeps coming up . My original home page is still in internet options. So I have blocked the change but when I restart IE the same problem occurs.

Any help appreciated as its very annoying !!!

Jhieminga
15th Mar 2005, 10:34
Windows sometimes does that, it basically reminds you to check windows update from time to time.

I don't know if you can do much about it, I've always allowed my 'puter to visit the page and the next time it was gone again, the registry change is probably to remind itself to wait a set amount of time before the next visit. You could just allow the registry change, and see if that gets rid of it. It is a Microsoft page so that should make the change 'legal'. ;)

Tonic Please
15th Mar 2005, 14:11
I sure diabling autodownloads will stop your homepage being directed by microsoft because it thinks you dont want it to tell you and will do it when ready.

Control Panel --> system --> automatic updates --> turn them off!

SoftTop
15th Mar 2005, 18:15
I must have missed soemthing here. Why would you want to turn off auto-update? It's about the only way of ensuring that your PC is less likely to be compromised by dodgy applications and websites.

If you turn it off, you really need to be almost religious in visiting the windowsupdate website on a very regular basis and doing a manual update.

I wouldn't advise turning it off.

ST

nwaflygirl
16th Mar 2005, 02:30
what other protection software are you running? Press start, run, type in MSCONFIG. When open, select the services tab. Check box to hide all microsoft services. What is left there?

As for windows doing this from time to time, umm.... I don't think so.

Tonic Please
16th Mar 2005, 09:18
You say "i dont think so", but every month or so, when I open the internet explorer up, i get redirected to the updates page of microsoft. Don't complain though, just get them!