PDA

View Full Version : Can the A320/ A321 carry animals in its hold

LTNman
15th Mar 2005, 06:16
According to the report below they can't

The Enfer-World Sheepdog Trials, taking place in Ireland for the first time, are facing problems because Aer Lingus is refusing to carry dogs on its short-haul aircraft.

Some 241 border collies from 21 countries are due to come to Ireland at the end of June for the biggest world sheepdog trials, taking place in Tullamore, Co Offaly, between July 7th and 10th.

The event is expected to attract 2,500 international visitors to the Midlands, as well as huge numbers of Irish enthusiasts. Spokesman for the trials Loughnan Hooper estimated their worth at €3 million to the midlands economy.

"They have been secured for Ireland after strong competition from various countries. It is a big honour for Ireland to get them," said Mr Hooper.

It is the first time dogs will travel from the US, Canada and New Zealand to take part in the competition. "This is the first time it is a real world competition," said Mr Hooper. The trials were made hugely popular by the One Man And His Dog television programme.

However, a decision by Aer Lingus to refuse to carry animals on flights between Ireland, Britain and Europe from March 1st threatens to force some competitors to pull out. Organisers estimate almost half the dogs' handlers are booked on affected Aer Lingus flights.

An Aer Lingus spokeswoman said the move to stop taking pets on short-haul flights was due to the fact that "new generation" airbuses - the A320 and the A321 - were "not suitable for live animals".

"The hold of these new aircraft do not have the required conditions for the carriage of live animals as the level of ventilation is not suitable." She said anyone intending travelling to Ireland with a pet should contact an alternative freight carrier.

Mr Hooper, however, expressed doubt that every single plane of the old fleet had been replaced, and expressed a hope that Aer Lingus would accommodate the dogs. He said the dogs' handlers and owners would have booked their flights before Christmas with the intention of booking their dogs on nearer the event date.

There was no forewarning from Aer Lingus about this change in policy.

"It's not a disaster, yet," said Mr Hooper. "But we just got word the New Zealand team planned to fly Qantas to Heathrow and Aer Lingus to Dublin. It is a real headache."

He said the dogs could travel by ferry, but said this would be very inconvenient and tiring for the dogs.

Maude Charlee
15th Mar 2005, 12:13
Typical cobblers from an operator worried about the costs of any potential lawsuit for carriage of animals other than pure domestic pets. I've dispatched numerous scarebus flights off to warmer climes with an old biddy's cats in the hold. Don't see why a dog would be any more vulnerable given the hold can be heated and pressurised.

The trick is putting the beasts on the correct aircraft. That way old biddy doesn't arrive in Alicante to find her now dead cats have actually been sent to Tenerife. :O

Yarra
15th Mar 2005, 12:29
Bollocks, All Airbus aircraft can carry livestock, The concern may be the number on each aircraft. Generally, the hold temp is the same as the cabin to my knowledge, using the 320 as a yardstick. Will check my trusty IATA Manual for limitations on the aircraft quoted. They (Aer Lingus) may be frightened about losing revenue from cargo and have not considered the cost in the potential bad publicity that might eventuate with this decision.

MELKBQF
16th Mar 2005, 00:38
You cant travel on a Jetstar A320 and take your animal on holidays with you as Jetstar did not option cargo heat in the bulk hold on their A320s!

MarkD
16th Mar 2005, 00:51
EI getting on the wrong side of the publicity again (remember the coffins?) Whoever does their PR should be shot.

HZ123
16th Mar 2005, 10:58
A320's to my knowledge within BA & IB are containerised and therefore cannot take livestock. BA A321's are also conatinerised and the bulk hold area is not normally used. BA would not carry livestock on these a/c's.

WHBM
16th Mar 2005, 16:26
Related question on A320 baggage hold temperatures (BA)

I believe baggage holds, although pressurised, are not air con/heated; what temperature would the bags typically get down to on a 3 hour flight ? Have temperature-sensitive items in baggage.

I suppose I could put my minimum/maximum thermometer in the baggage there some time to check !

Thank you.

Toulouse
18th Mar 2005, 07:58
I could be wrong, but talking about a similar case, I recall somebody from Airbus telling me that the cargo holds on Airbus aircraft are not air conditioned/heated and are pressurised, and that they maintain the temperature when doors are closed. That is to say, if it is -25 outside before dispatching the aircraft, well the cargo hold would be too cold to carry animals.

Might be TOTALLY WRONG, so feel free to correct me.

EI are really getting on mynerves recently, while I enjoy flying them, like their crews, cabin service is fine (on European routes anyway), and their new Airbus fleet is great, their PR have gone down the tubes. Anyone familiar with their new FF programme, IT SUCKS. Their "applicant login" on their website doesn't work so it's impossible to register flights. Continually emailing them, and continually being told that they're on the problem... 7 months later, website remains untouched!

phoenix son
18th Mar 2005, 08:03
Been a good while, but I've certainly loaded animlas on a bulk-loaded A320 (KM). Seem to recall their Ground Handling Manual stated the forward hold for this? (On KM aircraft, the entire front hold was Hold 1...)

Not sure that the hold is heated as such, but there is certainly airflow through it (possibly bled from the Equipment Cooling?)

Anyone offer any more?

Flying Torquewrench
18th Mar 2005, 18:31
No problem to carry pets in the hold of a A320/321. Within our company they are normally put in hold 5. On our aircraft the holds are not heated and because of this there is a limit on the flght time. All holds are pressurized and ventilated by cabin air. So there is a limited amount of heating. However Airbus has an option to install cargo heating in the holds. But it up to the company if they install it yes or no. On the normal sector lengths for these type of aircraft there is no real need for cargo heating pets can be carried safely in the hold.

Regards, FT

MarkD
18th Mar 2005, 20:54
Knowing Willie, it's unlikely the most recent batch of 320s have heaters if they cost more.

Burnt Fishtrousers
23rd Mar 2005, 15:02
Can the A320/ A321 carry animals in its hold

Judging by the clientelle I saw boarding one in Corfu bound for the UK last year, i'd say a resounding yes

Sawbones
25th Mar 2005, 23:24
At AC our small bus fleet 319-320-321 all have bulk cargo compartments located just aft of the aft main cargo compartment. This isn't necessarily standard on all Airbus aircraft. We use this area for loading small animals. Some a/c in the fleet have the optional bulk cargo heat, but even without it, we can still accomodate animals without restriction.

Letsparty24/7
3rd Apr 2005, 23:10
Our entire fleet of A320 and A321's at MYT can all carry Live Animals.

They should try a ship them on a cargo only aircarft operator. I'm sure there are a few operators that fly between UK to Ireland.

Yellow Sun
4th Apr 2005, 16:44
All bmi's Airbuses can and do carry live animals in the hold. So no problems LHR-DUB.

YS

KC-10 Driver
4th Apr 2005, 20:48
At my last company -- US Airways -- we could carry live animals in one cargo hold (I think it was the aft) because only one hold was heated.

At my present employer -- JetBlue -- we do not carry live animals in any hold, because neither fore nor aft holds are heated.

When I worked at US Airways, whenever a ramp agent told me that he had a live animal to put in the cargo area, I would ask him if it was a dog or a cat. If it was a cat, I would tell him to put it in the forward (unheated) hold. If a dog, to put it in the aft.

However, I always made sure to then tell him that I was joking. As far as I know, I never caused a cat to be put in the unheated hold.

ETOPS773
4th Apr 2005, 22:13
I am sure alot of airlines do.When I was travelling on an BA A320,you could hear dogs barking down below whenever the plane braked hard.Poor things.