PDA

View Full Version : Concorde open to the public

bluebird121
14th Mar 2005, 10:21
:ok: I see that Concorde will be open to the public from this Wednesday at East Fortune museum near Edinburgh..I hope to be able to go and see it soon..:ok: :ok:

Windy Militant
15th Mar 2005, 09:12
Whilst you're there you can have a look at the the other great lost chance of British aerospace the 'Blue Streak' They've got the only example of a complete flight rated airframe there. The top neddies decided that there was no future in space launchers and decided to sit back and laugh at the French wasting money.
Who's laughing now eh Jaques!

amanoffewwords
15th Mar 2005, 09:17
I'm waiting for the one at Brooklands to open up - judging by the current pictures (http://www.brooklandsconcorde.com/diary.html) it might be a while...:(

yintsinmerite
15th Mar 2005, 09:27
I got a picture of one sitting on a barge next to the Air museum in new york a couple of weeks ago. Anyone know if thta is yet open to the public ?

Standby Scum
15th Mar 2005, 09:53
Is it true that the bloke who stuck 002 into the Yeovilton museum due to a heavy landing, did a premature descent in a 707 and nearly ran out of fuel and wound up as 'the' 747 fleet captain? :confused:

Whispering Giant
15th Mar 2005, 13:59
Yes the Concorde at the Intrepid Air and Space museum in New York is open to the public - i was there at the beginning of February and went aboard her then.

brgds
W.G

JackOffallTrades
17th Mar 2005, 17:09
Standby Scum,

I think it was the late Brain Trubshaw who put it in there. It was never intended to fly again anyway! Yeovilton isn`t the longest runway so he did a Royal Navy carrier special thinking that was how things were supposed to be done there.

I have been told there are some wrinkles on the skin if you look carefully, but not as bad as the B52 at Duxford.

hobie
17th Mar 2005, 20:36
Is it true that the bloke who stuck 002 into the Yeovilton museum due to a heavy landing, did a premature descent in a 707 and nearly ran out of fuel and wound up as 'the' 747 fleet captain?
Do I see Rainboe coming in low and fast on the horizon? :p

GrumpyOldFart
17th Mar 2005, 21:20
hobie:

Do I see Rainboe coming in low and fast on the horizon?

Undoubtedly. He's been everywhere else. 198 posts in less than two months. Can't have much time for flying.

JC

mfaff
18th Mar 2005, 08:27
Most B52s have the wrinkled skin at the neck, especially those involved in combat ops in V'nam.

Its the 'no flare' landing that does them in....front and rear gear land at the same time, cockpit carries on down.

Trubshaw did bring 002 to Yeovilton....not sure it was a particularly hard landing and at the time I'd have siad he was pretty experienced on type.

It was also not destined to fly again, regardless of the landing.

There are also some wrinkles on 01 at Duxford....