PDA

View Full Version : Retirement at 60 ???

tamalai
13th Mar 2005, 01:44
I have it on very good authority that once the thorny issue of the 49'ers is settled that the next issue to be addressed will be an increase in the retirement age which will also involve a fairly substantial pay increase for "B" scales, in the order of 12-15%..........................................
about time and all, it's been what ?? four years ???

Lets hope for once common sense prevails !!

Abbeville
13th Mar 2005, 04:27
There is a suggestion that even extending those that wish to work to 60 won't necessarily ease the perceived shortage over the next few years.

Look at some of the problems:

1) Training staff (some high profile) saying' enough is enough' and relinquishing their appointments. System could implode with trainers busy training trainers and not enough trainees exiting the sausage machine to man the jets.

2) A generally low pass rate for those trying to change from right seat to left.

3) More aircraft in the pipeline that need crews to man them. (please see paragraph1).

I understand that the prospect of post 60 flying is not completely dismissed as a fanciful notion. Remember the F/Es already fly to 65. Naturally that will be driven by how individual states legislate. The very fact that ALPA is now reviewing the situation with some urgency (I believe) may be an indication of how things may transpire worldwide before too long.

Zimmer frames at the ready and a Stanna lift up the side of the aeroplane!

mairyhinge
13th Mar 2005, 07:48
Chinese CAD is not the rest of the world. They will not allow past 60. If it ever gets proposed, it will be met with a firm CAN NOT ! Too hard for them to think about or to contemplate. KA had a captain who accepted a right seat job to continue to fly past 60. China simply said CAN NOT. So he flew to KHH for the remainder of his contract. Nice job if you can get it. HKG-KHH-HKG. Bit boring for my liking.